f4i noise????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 AM

motosikel is a decent person
f4i noise????

I just got my f4i a couple weeks ago, traded straight out for my tl. Its great except when the rpm goes over the 5500 mark, it makes like a little grindin noise. But just at 5500, not at 6000 or 5000 or any other. The closest I can describe it as is when you're going too fast and you try to shift down, you grind that gear. Thats what it almost sounds like but way quieter. Not sure what the hell it is, I heard something abt a cam tensioner, but have no idea if thats it or not. Any help would be awesome. Also the front fender does not fit well. Think I need another one...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Sugar Free

Jerro is a decent person
Re: f4i noise????

had the same problem, a buddy told me to change it. it quieted it right down. that'd be the best bet.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 AM

bman2u is an unknown quantity at this point

yep...definitely sounds like the cam chain tensioner. Had the same sound at around the same RPM that your experiencing it at... changed the tensioner and it went away. It's supposedly pretty common for around those year Hondas. Two most popular options for it are the OEM Honda tensioner or the APE manual one. There's arguements all over the place for which is better...I got the manual one and it seems to get **** done... If you go to order it from a shop, ask for the cam chain tensioner lifter...a buddy of mine ordered a "cam chain tensioner" and it was the wrong part... anyway, good luck with it bro, its kind of a bitch to change
Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 AM

I thought it might have been that. I was kinda afraid it was something seriously wrong with it. Appreciate it guys, alot of relieved stress....
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Custom User Title

______ is a decent person

My f4 is doing something like that.... whats the benefit of a manual one?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

that DOES NOT sound like cct to me
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
†★ King of brake lines ★†

Juca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant futureJuca has a brilliant future

check valves...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 AM

bonez30250 is an unknown quantity at this point

My F4i Sounds Like Its Got Loose Change In The Motor At About 4500 Rpm Only, Someone Told Me The Same Thing That It Might Be The Cct, Any Ideas??????
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

my friend put the manual tensioner in his F4I and it helped a bit, the pro's of a manual tensioner is that it doesn't gradually wear weak like the auto tensioner does with the tensioning spring....the manual one you set the tension and lock the chain in at that specific tension and there isn't possibility of it failing like the auto tensioners resulting in huge engine damage...ie-valves con-rods etc...... BUT BUT BUT he also noticed it only helped the noise.....the clutch torsion springs were worn out and when he finally blew the clutch and replaced it did he notice the spring didn't have the proper tension on it and thus allowing the assembly to chatter. it sounded horrible...i couldn't believe how much the springs were sagging!!! if you take some of the covers off the engine...check the chain tension on both sides of the cam gears...if it's loose on the opposite side of the tensioner then that's your problem....if it's tight as a nuns ****** then may have to look for vibrating clutch springs and compare one of yours to the specs.... or vibrating washers or other misc junk under the tank etc....
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM

MoxieATS1 will become famous soon enough

Put in a APE manual tensioner. I did it and wish to hell I would have done it a long time ago. Also have a dealership install it if you want to save yourself a big headache.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
cereal killa

now this is dumb....the dealer got the parts wrong 5 times for my buddy who had to keep going to them over and over just to "see" the parts and if they were the right ones...the manual tensiioner prob'ly isn't a dealer part or is it? but installs most likely the same way. you skip a tooth on one of the cams setting it up and like moxie says...big headache!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: f4i noise????

**** the dealer, man up n wrench on your own stunt bikes! ***** not hard save all that money your gonna pay the dealer in labor and buy a service manual
Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 PM

so ya'll think its the cct?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 PM
cereal killa

could be man...it's only the most common noise issue on those FI's cracka lacka! and yes! do the work yourself if you have a general idea what's going on in there.....if you need cheap parts check out www.cyclepartsnation.com they are like half the price of dealer **** and are the same parts in the dealer bags and all! did my front forks after shoving them in them in, 202$ a tube got em at 100 a pop through these guys ....also got my tranny gears from them all gaskets and gears/shipping at 170$ all in..:YEAH might not have manual tensioners tho dude check it.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

Originally Posted by 50slut
that DOES NOT sound like cct to me

I think he is describing a loose cct.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM

showoff81 is an unknown quantity at this point

cam tensioners go often on f4i but it would whine really loud at idle. higher rpm would more likely be loose exhaust rattle, valves out of adjustment, or worse, crank bearing. either way, try the tensioner first. its cheap and easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
cereal killa

like i said, get in there and check it first, don't just buy parts , you could be at it for weeks....get a cheap stethescope from a tool dealer and wean the noise to the specific spot...on the tensioner???? on the clutch cover??? on the exhaust...all these ideas are viable but something has to be it...get a friend to help out dude....you'll find it i'm sure...don't think worse case scenario yet man....that gets you up to ur armpits in oily bits and in the wrong direction...

complaint=rattle noise
cause= ya don't know yet so don't go dumping some mad cheddar
corrective action= replace the broken ,worn out or damagaed parts
Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM

I appreciate the advice. I have a buddy that helps me when that **** get too techinal. But I'll check it out. Thx.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:58 PM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poni
could be man...it's only the most common noise issue on those FI's cracka lacka! and yes! do the work yourself if you have a general idea what's going on in there.....if you need cheap parts check out www.cyclepartsnation.com they are like half the price of dealer **** and are the same parts in the dealer bags and all! did my front forks after shoving them in them in, 202$ a tube got em at 100 a pop through these guys ....also got my tranny gears from them all gaskets and gears/shipping at 170$ all in..:YEAH might not have manual tensioners tho dude check it.
www.haibikeshop.com has the manual ones
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Custom User Title

______ is a decent person

cam tensioners go often on f4i but it would whine really loud at idle. higher rpm would more likely be loose exhaust rattle, valves out of adjustment, or worse, crank bearing. either way, try the tensioner first. its cheap and easy.
This is true.... also with a worn cct your chain would catch up a little with higher RPMs so around 4500-6000 you prob. wouldnt hear it. I wouldnt bet on the cct not to say that cant be you issue but dont just throw parts at it

**** the dealer, man up n wrench on your own stunt bikes! ***** not hard save all that money your gonna pay the dealer in labor and buy a service manual
TRUE DAT!!!!
cant stress it enough stay away
Dealer = riped off

Last edited by ______; 09-30-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: f4i noise????