05-06 636 fork bottoms out

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 AM

luvtorev is an unknown quantity at this point
05-06 636 fork bottoms out

Ok here's the deal. I bought a set of 05-06 forks from here, they are fine except they bottom out, meaning everytime i go for a stopie or come down hard from a wheeling the fork tube (upper gold part) hits the bottom piece and i have all the settings on the hardest and still botttoms out. So Im thinking that who ever had the bike changed the fork oil and didnt put enough???

So does anybody here know how to change the fork oil on a 05-06?? and how much oil to put in?? I guess stock oil is a 5 weight so im going to try 10 weight oil. And will i need any kind of special tools for it??

Or do you guys have any ideas as to what could be the problem?? maybe the springs are shot?? All help apreciated
Old 08-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Bubash is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 05-06 636 fork bottoms out

take em to a shop, thats what the last guys mistake was (doin it himself)
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bubash
take em to a shop, thats what the last guys mistake was (doin it himself)
is it really that conplicated to change fork oil?? ive been googling on how to change it and i really cant find anything. cant even find how much oil is supposed to go in
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM

PAINTRIXX is a decent person

If A Tech Does It And There Not Right You Take Them Back And Get Them Fixed For Free.if You Do It And Dont Do It Correct Your Fucked And Have To Spend Even More Money.05,06 No Way The Springs Are Worn Like That ,the Fork Oil Hight Is To Low
Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAINTRIXX
If A Tech Does It And There Not Right You Take Them Back And Get Them Fixed For Free.if You Do It And Dont Do It Correct Your Fucked And Have To Spend Even More Money.05,06 No Way The Springs Are Worn Like That ,the Fork Oil Hight Is To Low

thats true. I just thought it wouldnt be that hard to change the fork oil...guess ill have to take a trip to the tech
Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 PM

da Liks is a decent person

changing fork oil is cake.. the seals are harder but also very doable, just did it today along with the stem bearings.. **** the shop.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM

kylenv is a decent person

in my squidly but very mechanical mind, if you are gonna stunt you have to learn to work on, and properly do fork seals engine swaps, typical tune procedures and all that ****. My first fork seal job was long because I did not have a manual. $30 bucks later and when one fork was leaking it took start to finish with new fluid and seal under 40 minutes. so get a manual. also I made a tool from pvc pipe with some quality duct tape to install the fork seal wich is hella ghetto but works great.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM

Nine54f4i is a decent person

Stock oil should be about a 10 weight. It sounds like there is not enough oil in the forks. See if you can call around and get the oil specs for the forks from a dealership.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i think the 05 06 forks have less travel then the 03 04
Old 08-30-2008, 07:35 PM

ok for those of you that know how to change the oil, can you help me out and explain the steps?? and if im doing this should i just go ahead and get a the seal since im already in there??
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

just unscrew the top of the fork and dump out the old oil , pump the damper to get as much out as possible and leave the fork upside down for a while so it drains good then pour in the recommended amount of 10 wt back in ....

no need to disassemble the whole fork so no need to replace any seals if they aren't leaking
Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 PM

hey, I'd ask for the level on a seperate topic that way hopefully some OG will be able to tell you how to measure it without taking them off the bike. alot of times you have to have the spring out to measure. But I just take the fork topcap off and measure it from there like 2 inches. you might want to just take yours off one at a time and measure how low untill you touch oil make sure there both equal to start. you might even ask someone to measure theresthen add to yours, having done a few usually almost always if bottming out like your saying you don't have enough fluid..did that make sense?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM

o'yeah...and that was on my cbr954.. and I run a little extra oil in mine and they work really well.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by kylenv
hey, I'd ask for the level on a seperate topic that way hopefully some OG will be able to tell you how to measure it without taking them off the bike. alot of times you have to have the spring out to measure. But I just take the fork topcap off and measure it from there like 2 inches. you might want to just take yours off one at a time and measure how low untill you touch oil make sure there both equal to start. you might even ask someone to measure theresthen add to yours, having done a few usually almost always if bottming out like your saying you don't have enough fluid..did that make sense?
the manual will have the amount and the distance from the top with the spring installed so as long as he looks at a manual he should be good

regular non inverted forks are measured with the spring out but inverted are measured with the spring in
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM

hawaiiandave is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
the manual will have the amount and the distance from the top with the spring installed so as long as he looks at a manual he should be good

regular non inverted forks are measured with the spring out but inverted are measured with the spring in

I use 10wt at 90 mm from top with spring out always spring out!!!!!!1
Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by hawaiiandave
I use 10wt at 90 mm from top with spring out always spring out!!!!!!1
i have seen manuals that give the measurment from the top with the spring in on more then one bike but non inverted forks are with the spring out always , what kind of bike do you have ?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:51 PM

hawaiiandave is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
i have seen manuals that give the measurment from the top with the spring in on more then one bike but non inverted forks are with the spring out always , what kind of bike do you have ?
06 636, you measure height with spring out, the spring makes the volume differ I have never seen a manual tell me to measure height spring in. I have seen it say volume, spring in, also you need the spring out to bleed the fork of air in the chamber or maybe I should actually should read the manual instead of looking at the diagrams hahaha!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by hawaiiandave
06 636, you measure height with spring out, the spring makes the volume differ I have never seen a manual tell me to measure height spring in. I have seen it say volume, spring in, also you need the spring out to bleed the fork of air in the chamber or maybe I should actually should read the manual instead of looking at the diagrams hahaha!
i got a bad habit of doing that too....lol

pumping the forks slow will allow all the air out , yes the proper way would be as described in the manual but you know how that goes
Old 08-31-2008, 03:49 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

I just through on a set of 05/06 forks and am having the same problem. Mine are bottoming out mainly when stalling out circles.

So the stock fork oil weight is 10? Would 15 make a noticeable difference, or should I go higher?

Last edited by inolen; 08-31-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM

da Liks is a decent person

15 will be good! i run rc51's, stock is 7wt, i run 10.. golden!

Quick Reply: 05-06 636 fork bottoms out