gas/octane.....does it matter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person
gas/octane.....does it matter??

i've always ran the lowest octane i can find......it's the cheapest and i never have had a bike in which it has made a difference, my bike has been pinging like mad when it gets hot, and lacks alot of low end hp, it's an 04 636.....i ran 93 octane in it today and it helped a little, but the motor still feels sluggish at high temps, horrible for drifting where you need good low end power.......

this thread is dirrected towards those that can and do drift, especially in high temp climates......

is it just the fact that i'm running low octane and it's warm as an old man's catheter bag on a 90 degree summer day???
Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person
Re: gas/octane.....does it matter??

There is a current thread about this now. Ill edit and post it if I find it)

I switched to 87-89 for the last month or so since I read the thread and bike feels great (F4i)

Im sure I have saved a whole tank of gas worth since I started
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

i think its just the fact that the hotter temps make ur bike lose a bit of power. the air is more combustable at a colder temp, ive always noticed that my bike runs worst in the heat, my idle seems not quite as crisp as in the cold. plus the hotter the temp the more your tire is gonna wanna hook up when drifting. thats why i try to ride only at night when its cooler outside.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 PM

PAINTRIXX is a decent person

U Should Use Only Premium,bike Is Designed To Run It.lower Octaine Fuel Can Cause Detination And Will Destroy You Engine.run Premium Fuel Only And Go To The Auto Parts Store And Get A Can Of Seafoam Fuel Cleaner .use Half The Can Per Tank Of Gas Till Gone Then Change Plugs.**** Will Run Like New Money.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

There is no reason to run low octane in a bike you're going to run hightemps and large demands on. You're just asking for detonation and an attrition war that will lead to a worthless motor. Despite everything people think they know or have read somewhere its simple math. Honest numbers that you can't seat of the pants argue away. The higher the octane the less retard on timing, less chance to detonate, and above all, more reliability in high stress situations.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Wheelie Whore

SxRacer108 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a ping in my 636 the very first time i tried running anything other than 93. so i havent gone back to it..i just stick with 93. as far as the temperature goes, bikes and well...any motorized vehicle really will not run as well in hotter temps as opposed to cooler temps. I kno first hand after hittin the lot for a lil and my 636 gets hot...things arent near as crisp and low end suffers a little..and thats on 93 so i dont think its the gas bro...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM

jasonpayne123 is a decent person

honestly why run 87. Ive done it a few times just cause it was free, but its only at most 50 cents more a tank to run 91-93. I wouldnt think the hi-temp is that much of a differance, also ive been hearing alot bout valve problems in the 636's. you should chk up on the posts about that.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:15 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know about temperature differences

But I do know that different bikes require different octanes, and I know f4i's specifically, honda recommends 86 octane or higher..

But I believe bikes like 600rr, and many other bikes, require 91+..

I always run 87 in my f4i, but I did notice a difference in my friends 600rr when I put 87 in it..
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

all bikes are desinged to run on 87 octaine. Just read your owners manual.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Scott982 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
There is no reason to run low octane in a bike you're going to run hightemps and large demands on. You're just asking for detonation and an attrition war that will lead to a worthless motor. Despite everything people think they know or have read somewhere its simple math. Honest numbers that you can't seat of the pants argue away. The higher the octane the less retard on timing, less chance to detonate, and above all, more reliability in high stress situations.
Exactly..The bike is designed to run a higher octane and by running 87 your going to be getting knock and your just asking for problems.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crashtest 750
Are you being sarcastic? Or have you only read a few bikes manuals??

I actually think gix750's in particular, require 91 octane.. If I remember right, I think my friends 750 has a '91 min octane' sticker on the gas tank..
Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 PM
www.cycletreads.co.nz

Kevmo7 is a decent person

87 god damn, the minimum octane fuel you can get here is 91, max is 98.

I always run my motard on 91, but might try 98 and see if there is a differents
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

Originally Posted by CryanRyan S
you come on here thinking your some sort of professional and everything, but it's obvious you haven't been in the game as long as you say you have been......
and this squidly thread is coming from you? Let me guess, someone hacked your account...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

my old bike i bought was only ran on 87 octane and i mixed a lil 110 octane with 93 and when it all burned through the bike stopped ticking.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

This octane booster works its been tested...

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane...ers_lucas.html

bike have about 5 gallon gas tanks?!

so you use half of the octane booster per full fill up you will get 96.6 out of 93... just a thought.. i got a bunch for my car but i have not used one in my bike yet,i dont need no more power,its a gixxer..

i dont know how these things work in bikes..but gives my car a little punch..

i am not sure why i am posting this eather
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Originally Posted by crashtest 750
I've never bought a new bike so I'm not sure, you could be correct. But I can't imagine any of the "race" showroom bikes being anything other than 91 or premium tuned ECU's. Making them premium recommended only. I know you can jumper some of the bikes and get to the Euro maps, insinuating that there may be US lower octane mapping stock and a euro higher octane mapping available by the jumper. But still, our lexus is 91, my old GTI was 91, any and all of my decent cars have been 91 factory recommendations. If we were talking about something like a ninja 250 I would believe it. But a "race bike" and 87 hell no.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by VerticalLimits
and this squidly thread is coming from you? Let me guess, someone hacked your account...

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

my 05 gsxr 750 had a factory sticker right on the tank that said "Premium fuel ONLY - 92 octane & above"

i accidently put 87 in it once and it ran like ****.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 PM

loko is an unknown quantity at this point

Trust me! Drain your gas, fill the tank with93, AND ADD A HALF A CAN OF SEAFOAM! Fill it up again and add the other half! Best advise I ever got! Do this and you will def see a big improvement!! A friend of mine told me about seafoam a year or so ago and that **** is awsome better idle low end gets rid of bog you will never look back. Allways run high octane!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loko
Trust me! Drain your gas, fill the tank with93, AND ADD A HALF A CAN OF SEAFOAM! Fill it up again and add the other half! Best advise I ever got! Do this and you will def see a big improvement!! A friend of mine told me about seafoam a year or so ago and that **** is awsome better idle low end gets rid of bog you will never look back. Allways run high octane!
seafoam is nothing more then tranny fluid. i run tranny fluid and power steering fluid in everything now and then. it cleans the inside of a motor as it burns off. seafoam is over priced atf fluid

Quick Reply: gas/octane.....does it matter??