gas/octane.....does it matter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: gas/octane.....does it matter??

i <3 seafoam... i didnt know that *****... good to know
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

tranny fluid in your gas?? wtf....what about water?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM

CARNAHKT is an unknown quantity at this point

Sea foam is a detergent, tranny fluid is a high detergent oil. I would run some tranny fluid in the crankcase but not in the gas or through vacuum.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Bubash is an unknown quantity at this point

i have left the spot early because i ran outta gas and my buddy only had 87.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 PM

loko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DURTY-636
seafoam is nothing more then tranny fluid. i run tranny fluid and power steering fluid in everything now and then. it cleans the inside of a motor as it burns off. seafoam is over priced atf fluid
I do not get into argument's on the internet, nor do i know any info as to what seafoam actually is? All i know is seafoam is a clear gassy like substance that is originally intended for marine use? And as far as i can tell it appers to have no realation with atf? Like i said i may be wrong but i would NEVER put atf or power steering fluid in my gas tank! And for six bucks a can if it gets my **** running like butter it is money well spent!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 PM

jasonpayne123 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Kevmo7
87 god damn, the minimum octane fuel you can get here is 91, max is 98.

I always run my motard on 91, but might try 98 and see if there is a differents
its the sea level your at. it varies in different countrys
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM

jasonpayne123 is a decent person

Originally Posted by loko
I do not get into argument's on the internet, nor do i know any info as to what seafoam actually is? All i know is seafoam is a clear gassy like substance that is originally intended for marine use? And as far as i can tell it appers to have no realation with atf? Like i said i may be wrong but i would NEVER put atf or power steering fluid in my gas tank! And for six bucks a can if it gets my **** running like butter it is money well spent!
+1
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 PM

Bubash is an unknown quantity at this point

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_octan...nja_zx_6r_take
Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kevmo7
87 god damn, the minimum octane fuel you can get here is 91, max is 98.

I always run my motard on 91, but might try 98 and see if there is a differents

Just remember, running your bike on higher octane fuel then it is designed to run on, will NOT give it more performance, it will actually hurt performance because the fuel wont get a chance to fully burn..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 AM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides octane, the biggest difference between the "cheap stuff" and "premium or super" is the additives and detergents that each gasoline company puts in their fuel. It is worth the extra 20 cents a gallon to keep everything cleaner! besides the already mentioned less likely hood of detonation, etc. The motor WILL run more efficiently with higher octane gas.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM

Tiretrauma is an unknown quantity at this point

First, most bikes like the 636, 600rr, gsxr's etc; run high compression motors and therefore require higher octane to eliminate "pinging". However, if your bike doesnt ping with lower octane, it is ok to run it. I wouldnt recomend anything lower then 91 or what a manual says. Manufacturers advise on the best recipe to make your machine run the most efficient, but in higher altitudes you could probably get away with it.

The next thing to think about is your particular tank of gas and where you are filling up at. I know there are different gas stations in my area that are known to have bad gas, ie; water gets in after storms etc. So maybe change the gas station your getting it at.

The last is a point that others brought up. HEAT. Heat is a motor killer and a for sure recipe for poor performance, loss of power and premature engine failure. Make sure your bike stays as cool as possible. Drifting takes a major toll on bikes, and after a decent amount of time spent drifting, I have seen first hand, even the most reliable of bikes, start pissing, pinging and clanking from the over heating.

Bottom line, there is no bennefit to using highier octane then your engine needs.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:15 AM

PAINTRIXX is a decent person

Sea Foam Is An Aditive Used For Cleaning Fuel Systems,as Well As Engines.you Can Put It In Your Tank , Throttle Bodies,engine,brake Booster,you Can Even Use It In A Diesel .no It Is Not Tranny,or Power Steering Fluid.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Stunt Lifes Biggest Hater

Cworley is a decent person

my wrecked bike sat for over a year and i put about a gallon of airplane fuel wich is like 110 octane to burn all the cobwebbs out and she runs like a strapped *** ape. but i don't wanna burn anything up so i just ran a gallon to get it up running good and then back to the ol' 93 octane. (07 gsxr 600
Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

im run 93 only. im a squid and have an r1 though lol
Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by R1Wonder
im run 93 only. im a squid and have an r1 though lol
Since when does the type of bike you ride qualify you to be a squid or not??? Run what you brung son, Run what you brung!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

i just like to point it out before you guys get the chance too
ive ran lower octane before when i was broke and my bike runs the same but it seems like i get less mpg out of it? burns faster possible.

as far as ryans problems i agree with what neil morgan said
Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by R1Wonder
i just like to point it out before you guys get the chance too
ive ran lower octane before when i was broke and my bike runs the same but it seems like i get less mpg out of it? burns faster possible.

as far as ryans problems i agree with what neil morgan said
You are correct on the mpg thing. Only if your engine is running at optimum level. Higher octane burns slower and therefore should give you better gas mileage, however, If your anything like me or most I know, we are either blowing around on our bikes, or have the idle up in the lot, and therefore paying attention to mpg goes out the window...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Stuntride.com

yea i dont do lot stuff but i ride hard and wheelie the streets everywhere in 2nd. although i dont think my wheelies are to high in the r's im sure my mpg is a tad worse from them lol.

the 2007 r1 said to run a min. of 91 octane too, might not be as high on a 600
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

I always run 91, but I'm poor this week and ran 87. I couldnt tell a difference.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 AM
unemployment anonymous

wheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
There is no reason to run low octane in a bike you're going to run hightemps and large demands on. You're just asking for detonation and an attrition war that will lead to a worthless motor. Despite everything people think they know or have read somewhere its simple math. Honest numbers that you can't seat of the pants argue away. The higher the octane the less retard on timing, less chance to detonate, and above all, more reliability in high stress situations.
dead on

Quick Reply: gas/octane.....does it matter??