NE use a Thumb Brake instead of a Hand Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Jerry.Muther.Fukin.Taylor

JMFT-Stunts is an unknown quantity at this point
NE use a Thumb Brake instead of a Hand Brake?

Wen i called my local aftermarket shops 2 piece 2gether and H/B set-up, they offered me an instock T/B set up (used mostly 4 road racing) Wen i searched the dif online they say that a T/B is only bout 25% brake and a H/B is more like 90%. Anyone heard this or thought bout usin the T/B ?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person
Re: NE use a Thumb Brake instead of a Hand Brake?

Someone asks this question about once every 3 months... thumb brakes don't have enough power, just get a regular hand brake.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 AM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a few threads on here about it. If you do a search you can prolly get more info on it. There not very popular for stunting. They cause alot of arm and hand fatigue and your alot better off going with a regular style hb master,they work better too.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

hahah 90% my ***, maybe if your runnin a junction valve with a leaky old master. my dual caliper set up with a magura master is twice as strong as my foot brake. i dont recomend going cheap on a hb, you may regret it as i did when i dumped my gsxr over on the street cuz of a weak brake. hohey dual caliper with a magura 13mm or a brembo 16x18 is the most trust worthy braking ive ever used.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
hahah 90% my ***, maybe if your runnin a junction valve with a leaky old master. my dual caliper set up with a magura master is twice as strong as my foot brake. i dont recomend going cheap on a hb, you may regret it as i did when i dumped my gsxr over on the street cuz of a weak brake. hohey dual caliper with a magura 13mm or a brembo 16x18 is the most trust worthy braking ive ever used.
Are you running the original dual caliper bracket or the 4piston bracket?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by nickalltogether
Someone asks this question about once every 3 months... thumb brakes don't have enough power, just get a regular hand brake.
I did, got a H/B from hai.. just curious wat people thought. Didnt think 2 search the threads 1st LMAO
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nyRocketkid
Are you running the original dual caliper bracket or the 4piston bracket?
just the regular. i tried out a friends 4 piston with a regular radial master and it didnt impress me enough to spend the extra money for the 4 piston. it was slightly more powerful but had less feel to it, could be attributed to the master idk but my set up is a no problem 1 finger lock up and doesnt every fade on me so this is plenty for me.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 AM

Well speakin of...i do get alot of fade after a few hours of use (not lot, street, but heavy....2nd day wit h/b) Should i assume that as i progress and use it less that the fade factor wont be a prob, or is it just cuz its a shitty, pieced 2gether set-up good enough 2 get my by 4 now?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 AM

Juar3z is a decent person

since we r talking about thumbs.... Any1 try a thumb throttle?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 AM
use code "handy" 4 magura

stuntsteel is a decent person

i know a few people with thumb throttles... u just have to custom build the return cable.

it would be nice to see a full power thumb brake setup....

P- (484) 494-3136
Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by geraltay
Well speakin of...i do get alot of fade after a few hours of use (not lot, street, but heavy....2nd day wit h/b) Should i assume that as i progress and use it less that the fade factor wont be a prob, or is it just cuz its a shitty, pieced 2gether set-up good enough 2 get my by 4 now?
hard to say. you might be using too much brake, u might have a junko set up...hard to tell without riidng it myself.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

woman dont like thumb so use your finger and it suits em better lol so just use your finger instead thumb throttle.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Juar3z
since we r talking about thumbs.... Any1 try a thumb throttle?
The only thing about throttle vs. brake is the amount of use. I ride atv's alot as well and ur thumb gets tired pretty quick from constant pressure on the throttle... but u wouldnt be on the brake no where near as much (in theory of course)
Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Timmy P is a decent person

The only thing about throttle vs. brake is the amount of use. I ride atv's alot as well and ur thumb gets tired pretty quick from constant pressure on the throttle... but u wouldnt be on the brake no where near as much (in theory of course)
I spend about 75 percent of the time on the brake. not much throttle and if i use it its just a tiny blip.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

Wait I'm confused....

You just asked about a thumb brake today...

But you just bought one from hai a few hours ago....

You're in delaware...

But you've been using the hb for 2 days now???

And you don't need a return cable for the thumb throttle most have a return spring built in them.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

make sure you change your brake fluid cause as soon as you boil it then it will just boil sooner and sooner ....
Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Depends on what your doing. If your riding street you wouldn't hardly ever use the rear brake, the majority of the time you would be using the throttle. In the lot for slower things, the majority of the time they are done on idle so the rear brake would be used much more than the throttle.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EZEC
And you don't need a return cable for the thumb throttle most have a return spring built in them.
Nothing NEEDs a return cable.. But when your throttle cable binds, and sticks open, thats what the return cable is for!

Of course, with a thumb throttle, it's not gonne be quiet as easy to return it if your cable sticks, as a twist would be..
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by EZEC
Wait I'm confused....

You just asked about a thumb brake today...

But you just bought one from hai a few hours ago....

You're in delaware...

But you've been using the hb for 2 days now???

I was askin bout the thumb set up in the begining localy..was pointed 2 the hb instead. Ordered it, got the wrong adaptor.. used a junction off a dual front cal set up and linked hb straight to rear cal (temp eliminating foot brake) until the correct adaptor comes in today (im impatient). In the mean time, i posted on here just curious if ne one used a thumb set up..
Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
make sure you change your brake fluid cause as soon as you boil it then it will just boil sooner and sooner ....
Thanks 4 the heads up!