Crash Cage

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 PM

Posterchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Crash Cage

Well the inevedible happened this weekend while i was riding with nick from scooter trash

i did my first 12 and fell off my minty 02 954 it sucked just got a little scuff on mirror and side faring i was going pretty slow but i was wondering how much the cages help will it truely save my bike i mean are they worth it what tricks are they best for using with do they brake motor mounts?

they look pretty sound to me and right now im working on rolling burnouts and brake control on wheelies

and another thing should i get some steel braided brake lines will that help with brake fade ???
Old 06-26-2003, 05:49 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a cage on my 929 and it's awsome

the only complaint is that sometimes if you hit hard it rolls up onto the front of the bike but it saves plastics like a dream. i definately recommend one.

about break fade. try srs sintered or ebc HH pads. I don't have a problem with brake fade on my 929.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:42 PM

PRESTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Fade, use DOT 5. Fully drain and clean your brake lines first.
The pads, Stock are fine for the back and use sinter on the front.
SBS or Ferodos(sp)
Old 06-26-2003, 06:47 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Helps
Old 06-26-2003, 09:51 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point
.............yeah. What wing nut said.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Regular StuntLifer

metal doc is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a guy who built me a cage for my 98 gixxer 750. He built a jig so if anybody wants one for there srad let me know. We used chrome moly cause its strong as hell and we also made the mounts so it spreads the impact as not to damage the bike . I see others now offering chome moly tubing . ALL I CAN SAY IS WHERE WERE YOU 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN I NEEDED A CAGE I had to wait and do a lot of leg work but it was worth it .

later , mike
Old 06-27-2003, 03:06 AM
back in the saddle again

ok, i have a cage from freestyle and it works great. It's saved my motor from a 12 crash about 5 times now and i also flipped doing a little over 80 and it still saved it. Didn't even break up my plastics other than a little rash on the front end.

About it rolling on the nose of the bike, big deal, if you don't want to scratch your bike up, then i suggest finding a new sport cause it's going to happen. I was looking at hte cage and i don't see how it's possible to make something and not have it roll up on a 929.

anyways, i don't have problems with mine and i swear by it. It's saved my *** a lot of times and i'm going to keep supporting it. I think i know the way to solve your problems. buy a 929 and get rid of that crapzuki they are too brittle anyways.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:12 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
i have a F.I. crash cage & this thing has taken a BEATING. Ive crashed from 12 oclock prob 12 times, i dont use my kick stand just kick the bike over, do donuts & highside the bike onto the cage. Just plain old crash for fun. Granted my cage looks like its been around the world & back but i have not broken a single case cover. The cage is bent, flat, mangled but does its job every day. I have seen motor mounts get bent, but never have had it happen to me. The only thing i can see making it better, woudl be to have another cross brace for support. the 1st good crash & the side braces bend & come off.

I guess if you crash at 100 & the bike does cart wheels down the road - regardless if you have a cage around the entire bike - ur gonna Fak something up.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:29 PM
On Probation - Rebel member

420f4i is an unknown quantity at this point
1000cece- can u post a pic of ur cage. my mechanic is takin forever to put it on because he doesnt know exactly how to put it on. thanks bro
Old 06-27-2003, 09:16 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
wait....your MECHANIC is having trouble because he doesn't know how to put it on...... i would get a new mechanic!!......it's not rocket science
Old 06-28-2003, 11:30 AM
back in the saddle again

ya, they are easy to put on.

www.freestyleingenuity.com has pictures
Old 06-28-2003, 01:56 PM

BethanyStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Freestyle Ingenuity----->:YEAH<----They Rock!
Old 06-28-2003, 04:30 PM

For those of you who read my first post, I'd like to clear somethin up. Tim along with the rest of the POB & Freestyle Ingenuity are great guys. I have no problem at all with them or the company. My read my post and it didn't come out like I meant it to. The cage did help my bike a lot, and I crashed really REALLY hard. My bike would have probably be in a million pieces if I didnt have it own. If I ever get employed again, I'll probably run another one, cause it helps.
Sorry for the confusion, as I said, I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone.
So to answer your question Posterchild, get another set of bodywork, a cage, and keep it rockin on the bar.
See ya on one wheel,
Justin a.k.a. Wingnut
Old 06-29-2003, 01:11 AM

Posterchild is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks everyone i need one really bad and i need bar

LOL
Old 06-30-2003, 04:54 PM
www.krazywhiteboys.com

KrazyWhite Rich is a decent person
Re: Crash Cage

Originally posted by Posterchild
Well the inevedible happened this weekend while i was riding with nick from scooter trash

i did my first 12 and fell off my minty 02 954 it sucked just got a little scuff on mirror and side faring i was going pretty slow but i was wondering how much the cages help will it truely save my bike i mean are they worth it what tricks are they best for using with do they brake motor mounts?

they look pretty sound to me and right now im working on rolling burnouts and brake control on wheelies

and another thing should i get some steel braided brake lines will that help with brake fade ???
Posterchild-

Our sponsor just helped us make crash cages for our bikes. They are made out of 1" steel pipe. They are strong as f***. Yesterday was the first time that I stunted with it on. The cage only hits the ground when I drop a stoppie to hard and the loop around the motor drags. Also when I J slide the bike too low too the ground the side scraps. We still have to put a frame slider on it somewhere. Probably a few inches down on the tube that circles the motor. It seems to hit there the most. Here is a pic.
If you want to see more pics of the crash cage then hit up our website. There are work in progress pics as well as the finished product. We are calling it the Hydro Cage. Check it out.

As far as your brake fade........I would suggest changing your fluid to DOT 5 and switching to stainless brake lines with sintered pads.

Laterz, KW Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gsxr engine cage - 602-451.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23707  
Old 06-30-2003, 09:35 PM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
That's my problem. I'm on the brake too hard. That's why I cant get nth's yet. Just got to work on it more I guess. Oh yeah Binder, if Hondoos could take the beating my 1000 does Ryan wouldn't be on his 5th bike this year already. He is kind of hard on stuff though!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:18 AM

GSXR
Old 07-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Crash Cage

Originally posted by KrazyWhite Rich
Posterchild-

Our sponsor just helped us make crash cages for our bikes. They are made out of 1" steel pipe. They are strong as f***. Yesterday was the first time that I stunted with it on. The cage only hits the ground when I drop a stoppie to hard and the loop around the motor drags. Also when I J slide the bike too low too the ground the side scraps. We still have to put a frame slider on it somewhere. Probably a few inches down on the tube that circles the motor. It seems to hit there the most. Here is a pic.
If you want to see more pics of the crash cage then hit up our website. There are work in progress pics as well as the finished product. We are calling it the Hydro Cage. Check it out.

As far as your brake fade........I would suggest changing your fluid to DOT 5 and switching to stainless brake lines with sintered pads.

Laterz, KW Rich

I like the design of this cage. This past weekend, I went to visit the parents and my dad races the super late model hot stock dirt track cars. I was checking out the kickrails on the side of it and was thinking thats would be a good feature to add to the cages. What you have done is exactly what I was imagining in my head. Especially the way the pipe tapers in and is flush the the frame slider part that bolts onto the front motor mounts. It shouldnt catch or grab on a lowside and cause your bike to jump or flip like I have seen sliders do (mostly at the track).