mounting tires backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:01 AM

spoondogg is a decent person
mounting tires backwards?

i've seen two people now who have done it, and its not like they're squids who dont know what they're doing, both the peolpe i saw where pro's.

any pluses to doing this?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: mounting tires backwards?

no they just weren't paying attention or they can only cicle one way and wore out one side of the tire....lol
Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Steve O

tricky500 is a decent person

i'm no engineer and i could be wrong but i'm putting in my 2 cents. its dangerous for 2 reasons... manufacturers put the arrows on there for a reason, it keeps the inside of the tire (chords and layers of rubber) from expanding and loosening... it was made to only go in one direction. in the wet it will not filter the water out of the tire. the only slight benefit i could see, which would be in violation of the first thing i stated, is that if u've done a track day and it was mostly left handers, then you have a lot of traction left over on the other side of the tire, but then you put yourself at jeopardy at the cost of being cheap...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 AM

yeah i wasn't going to do it at all, but i was just wondering why they do it
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 AM

ecthemc is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
no they just weren't paying attention or they can only cicle one way and wore out one side of the tire....lol

haha I hear ya on that.. when i got my fizle.. the tire had like.. a valley on the right side.. lol

tires have a arrow so yea its obvious they didnt do it on accident..

weird - tho - Like those guys that flip there forks.. WTF?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 AM

like i said definatly not squids.

Name:  backwardstire.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  069.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i doubt he changes his own tires....lol
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

melloyello is an unknown quantity at this point

if u r stunting it won't hurt anything. The biggest reason is for wet conditions. The sipings are made to move water away. In reverse they won't work properly.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

That first pic looks right. Water would be moved from the middle to the outsides.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Unknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to beholdUnknown_Tom is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't think it would matter if you're just doing a show and going to burn the thing off anyways but why wouldn't you just put it on right anyway?? Maybe people just don't notice and run it anyways.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

Originally Posted by Zuki750
That first pic looks right. Water would be moved from the middle to the outsides.

Ya I was thinking the same thing
Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard the front tire mounting backwords helps with stoppie traction

I don't know why you would put a rear on backwords unless it was on accident though.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

when you flip a tire it gets hella slick. fun for drifting. but no good for anything else.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

my rear tire is on backwards now

i will fix that when it is 100% done
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

Originally Posted by DURTY-636
my rear tire is on backwards now

i will fix that when it is 100% done
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM
It's cold out here

csiamanis is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually - if thats a Pilot Power - it's on backwards. It looks like one at least, and I know mine is mounted right in my pic here. You would think it was the other way around, but . I'll let the manufacturer decide.

Last edited by csiamanis; 08-06-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by csiamanis
Actually - if thats a Pilot Power - it's on backwards. It looks like one at least, and I know mine is mounted right in my pic here. You would think it was the other way around, but . I'll let the manufacturer decide.
+1

i dunno what pilot powers deal is, but for some reason, the rain groves go the opposite way you would think they should

edit: just double checked a pilot power in my garage, definitely setup so the rain would go to the center of the tire while riding...
Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by csiamanis
Are they any good in the rain?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Mikey SBF will become famous soon enoughMikey SBF will become famous soon enough

its better for switchback wheelies
Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
It's cold out here

csiamanis is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they any good in the rain?
I don't try and drag knee, but when I've been in rain I've been confident with them leaning or not.

Quick Reply: mounting tires backwards?