Re: mounting tires backwards?

Originally Posted by Mikey SBF
its better for switchback wheelies
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
+1

i dunno what pilot powers deal is, but for some reason, the rain groves go the opposite way you would think they should

edit: just double checked a pilot power in my garage, definitely setup so the rain would go to the center of the tire while riding...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM

-Knowles- is a decent person

It depends on the manufacturer of the tire I believe...some tire companies must want us to die in the rain ...I've been told my tires are on backwards on my street bike so many times but its not the arrow points foward...actually won a bet at work two weeks ago for it...easiest twenty bucks ever...
Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by melloyello
if u r stunting it won't hurt anything. The biggest reason is for wet conditions. The sipings are made to move water away. In reverse they won't work properly.
+1 i agree. for stunting i wouldn't think it would make a diff, but if ur doing twisties or just highway riding i wouldn't be cheap and buy a new tire
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DIRTYJEFF636s
+1 i agree. for stunting i wouldn't think it would make a diff, but if ur doing twisties or just highway riding i wouldn't be cheap and buy a new tire
You should see the tires I get out of hte trash for free

I got a almost brand new pilot power front in the garage, a damn near new continent attack front in the garage, a couple 190's that are like perfect, and whole surplus of shitty 180's

I haven't bought a tire in 3 years, and I do rev limiter burnouts for blocks daily
Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
You should see the tires I get out of hte trash for free

I got a almost brand new pilot power front in the garage, a damn near new continent attack front in the garage, a couple 190's that are like perfect, and whole surplus of shitty 180's

I haven't bought a tire in 3 years, and I do rev limiter burnouts for blocks daily
you bastard i buy tires for my 06 and when they start to get bad for twisties i put them on the 04 stunter and buy new for the 06 again :YEAH 2 for the price of one, and i do some dumpster diving now and then
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM

I find alot of minty battleaxe tires too....because they come stock on most 600's a lot of people get rid of them right away.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by FreezeSBFreaks
I find alot of minty battleaxe tires too....because they come stock on most 600's a lot of people get rid of them right away.
damn! i love the battleax tires, i might have to start looking for them in the dumpster
Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FreezeSBFreaks
+1

I like bt014's, everyone hates, but I think they stick pretty damn good.. Not as good as a pilot, but good nuff

I've been on the same bt014 front tire for TWO YEARS now.. Got it out of the trash, it was in perfect shape.. Now its worn through the tread, ready to change out :YEAH
Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person

perellis r good, battlax r great
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM

12oclock929 is an unknown quantity at this point

the front tire has tread in the opposite direction of the rear because the friction is always in the opposite direction. you use your front tire to stop, no accelerate so the tread is shaped to sipe away water during decel, which is 100% of the time on the front tire.

ok back to the tire review that this thread has evolved into
Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
The Ego

N.Q.I_Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

You save a good five seconds when changing tyres because you don't have to look for rotation.

Five seconds a tyre, two tyres a month. it all adds up.

Plys you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right anyway.

(the above post should not be taken seriously)
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

I build tires for bf goodrich and directional tires are made it go one way at speed and weight. The naz that holds the steel cords will stretch and the steel will seperate.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by big ben
perellis r good, battlax r great

Kill yourself.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 12oclock929
the front tire has tread in the opposite direction of the rear because the friction is always in the opposite direction. you use your front tire to stop, no accelerate so the tread is shaped to sipe away water during decel, which is 100% of the time on the front tire.

Wow. The tires are turning the same direction so the siping has to face the same direction. Unless your front tire turns backwards.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM

spoondogg is a decent person

Originally Posted by 12oclock929

yes, i know some of the science behind tires, and the front are being pushed instead of doing the pushing. but if the arrow is going the wrong way, the tire is on backwards
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

spoondogg is a decent person

Originally Posted by Zuki750
Wow. The tires are turning the same direction so the siping has to face the same direction. Unless your front tire turns backwards.
he does speak some truth, only some. your right about the tires turning the same way, and having the same friction. but hes right about the brakeing part of it, that the friction switches directions.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 AM

12oclock929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spoondogg
but if the arrow is going the wrong way, the tire is on backwards
I agree. I read some of the posts as people thought the front tread was different than the rear tread so the manufacturer must not know what they're doing lol.

Originally Posted by Zuki750
really? the direction the tire is turning has nothing to do with the forces being applied to the tire. I'm in the third year of a mechanical engineering degree so I'd say my theories hold some truth. look at your front and rear tire, the siping will be opposite.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

The water is pushed by the direction the tire is moving. It has nothing to do with the forces. A tire is shaped like \/ when looking at it from the front. That's because when it is turning, the bottom of the V hits the pavement first. Water is trapped in this channel and as the top part of the V comes in contact with the street, the water travels out the channels, away from the tire.

I will admit you are correct about the direction of forces on a tire. But your theory that the siping was switched to move water away from the center of the tire just doesn't make sense.

Evidently siping direction isn't that important for water management or the manufacturers would do things differently.

Last edited by Zuki750; 08-07-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Stu-Pac is a decent person

Originally Posted by spoondogg
i've seen two people now who have done it, and its not like they're squids who dont know what they're doing, both the peolpe i saw where pro's.

any pluses to doing this?
hahahahhahaha ya the plus is that ur bike is guna handle shitty!!! i bet ull gain at least 10 horsepower if u do it and stoppies/wheelies will be easier!! hahahahahaaha