God damn brake pulse - double R

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 08:15 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
God damn brake pulse - double R

Anyone have any idea's?

I have a 98 900rr. I am on my 3rd set of Fackin rotors & still have a brake pulse. I am pretty good mechanically - but what else could cause this? My 1st set of rotors visibly had a warp in them. no problem. put a set of free floating racing rotors on. Still had a small pulse that anoyed me. So i bought a set of 99 rotors off ebay, put them on the bike & again! I can't see a warp in these rotors when i put it on the stand & spin the wheel so what the Funk!

I feel it mostly when doing donuts, you can feel the brakes surge (get tight, then let up over & over)

Im gonna smash the frickin thing if i have to take the wheel off again. Could it be a lazy caliper, warped rim?

fyi - the pads are about 1 month old.

Please help a nukka out.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Formerly Triumph01746

01746honda is an unknown quantity at this point
get your self some 929 calipers and braided lines and you'll be all good....
Old 06-25-2003, 10:14 AM

i know the 929 front end will fit the double R - but will just the calipers fit?

im getting SO F'n frustrated im bout to go buy a new bike. (to bad mine is a TOILET.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:31 AM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to hear that bro. i got brake problem on mine too! i cant help but i do feel your pain
-sean
Old 06-25-2003, 12:14 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dirty B is an unknown quantity at this point
929 calipers will bolt right up
Old 06-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Dirty B
929 calipers will bolt right up
Yo B..do u use the 900 RR lines? What are the advantages of the 929 calipers? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Formerly Triumph01746

Originally posted by 1000ceecee
i know the 929 front end will fit the double R - but will just the calipers fit?

im getting SO F'n frustrated im bout to go buy a new bike. (to bad mine is a TOILET.
1000cc...dude just ask Bri, Teach and Damien...they all had (have) the 929 set up going on the rr's
Old 06-25-2003, 02:16 PM

X-Rated has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i have 2000 gsxr 600 front brakes/lines... I hate ta say it but they work grrrreat!! Bolts right up!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:25 PM

pOOkey is an unknown quantity at this point
If you do go and get a new bike, do yourself a favor and get a Gixxer this time. I had a 900rr for awhile and hated the brakes as well. Never been a problem on the gixxer. Also, I find the gixxer much more stable when stunting. Anyways, just my 2 cents. I'm sure someone will disagree.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:41 PM

X-Rated has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yeah okkkkk.......

Originally posted by pOOkey
If you do go and get a new bike, do yourself a favor and get a Gixxer this time. I had a 900rr for awhile and hated the brakes as well. Never been a problem on the gixxer. Also, I find the gixxer much more stable when stunting. Anyways, just my 2 cents. I'm sure someone will disagree.
yeah dewd he's going to go out and get a new bike just cuz he dont like his brakes... c'mon...

just get the gsxr brakes like I said... you'll love em
Old 06-26-2003, 12:57 PM

i love the bike - hate the brakes. Im workin on getting a 929 front end. hopefully i'll find some.

im taking my rotors off & bringing em to a machine shop to make sure they are true. Th en replacing the calipers. Process of elimination. I'll find the F'n thing if it kills me. PROBABLY WILL
Old 06-26-2003, 01:22 PM

hooligan is an unknown quantity at this point
does the pulsing correspond to a certain wheel posistion?

does the brake lever actually pulse, or does the brakes just slip and grap?

have a friend help you. get a six pack of beer. open beer. throw the front end up on a stand, spin the wheel while your bud lightly applies the brake. see if a certain spot rubs or grabs more then the others. does the lever pulse or do the brakes just slip and grap? drink beer. if it does pulse then either the rotors or wheel is warped or the rotors have a high spot. id assume the rotors are good, since you replaced em twice and nothing changed. so id say probably the wheel is out of true. but its a good idea to check the rotors if you can. if the brakes just slip, check to make sure that the rotors are clean and dry. if you have a blown fork seal, the fork oil will make the brakes slip in spots. drink another beer.

open beer. if it doesnt seem to be certain wheel positions and the brakes are slipping not pulsing then it could be the brake pads or calipers. pull the calipers off and take a look at the pads. if all looks normal, then pull the pads and look at the calipers. you could have a piston with a slight leak. look for fluid, but i kind of doubt this is the case. again, look for fork oil from a blown seal. drink beer.

does it head shake at speed at all? that could be another sign of a warped rim.

hope this is some helpful info.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Formerly Triumph01746

Originally posted by hooligan
does the pulsing correspond to a certain wheel posistion?

does the brake lever actually pulse, or does the brakes just slip and grap?

have a friend help you. get a six pack of beer. open beer. throw the front end up on a stand, spin the wheel while your bud lightly applies the brake. see if a certain spot rubs or grabs more then the others. does the lever pulse or do the brakes just slip and grap? drink beer. if it does pulse then either the rotors or wheel is warped or the rotors have a high spot. id assume the rotors are good, since you replaced em twice and nothing changed. so id say probably the wheel is out of true. but its a good idea to check the rotors if you can. if the brakes just slip, check to make sure that the rotors are clean and dry. if you have a blown fork seal, the fork oil will make the brakes slip in spots. drink another beer.

open beer. if it doesnt seem to be certain wheel positions and the brakes are slipping not pulsing then it could be the brake pads or calipers. pull the calipers off and take a look at the pads. if all looks normal, then pull the pads and look at the calipers. you could have a piston with a slight leak. look for fluid, but i kind of doubt this is the case. again, look for fork oil from a blown seal. drink beer.

does it head shake at speed at all? that could be another sign of a warped rim.

hope this is some helpful info.
Holligan drinks alot of beer working on his bike......
Old 06-26-2003, 04:41 PM

damn, i like beer so that may work.

It more or less feels like the pulse is a certian spot. IF for instance i am doing a slow rolling burn out. I can feel the brake hold harder, then release some. HOld, release. so it give me like a buck while on the brake. If your doing like 60 and hit the brake - the whole bike shakes, expecially since my upper is loose as hell.

Im also gonna take 1 caliper off & try doing the burn out to see if it pulses (of course i'd have the rotor in the caliper off so it doesn't blow the piston out). So i can narrow down a certian side. I am also gonna pop the rotors off & stick them on a brake lathe' & spin it fast to really make sure it isn't movin.

I am now suspecting either a wheel or a caliper. I kinda doubt it is a rotor since i am on my 3rd set.

i just makes doing donuts shitty. Cause when the brakes grab harder it usually locks up the tire for a second.

Oh, and the brake pads were just replaced when i had the fork seals done (about a month ago). My brake fluid is dark as ****, but that i think would just make it fade - not pulse.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:24 PM

dr_erni is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the exact same problem.... one of my rotors is warped and i can see that...

the brakes slip when i'm braking to stop / low speed. the lever does not pulsate... pads are new, forks were redone a few months ago (no leaks)

if you figure out how to fix your brakes.... let us know please!!!

thanx,

e.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Has-Been... Was I ever?

Brian_C6 is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a new tire.

ps. 929 & 954 calipers will bolt right up but take the whole assembly. for the record, I sport 900RR calipers and they work fine by me.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:33 AM

ftrain is a decent person
Originally posted by 01746honda
Holligan drinks alot of beer working on his bike......
Holligan does not go over 45 mph on the highway. lol
Old 06-30-2003, 12:07 PM

i checked EVERYTHING. We had a run out meter & everything.

The rotors only have 12-15 Thousands of an inch run off. The rim has about 20 thousands. checked the calipers - appear fine.

I gave up and bought an entire front end off another 98 900rr. I rode his & it stops fine.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 PM

terrortekniks is an unknown quantity at this point

ok lets get tech........i keep messin up 900 rotorson my 93-94
the rivits on the rotor seem to come loose and the rotor has play in it
if you hold the inside piece you can rotate the outer rotor part a little
so since you cant replace the rivits? what do i do
if i get 929 rotors will they bolt to a 93-94 wheel
also arent 929 rotors bigger diameter than 900? how will i get my calipers to work?
or
what swap for front brakes can i do?
i want details! it seems that no body has an answer
Old 07-02-2003, 11:43 AM

***** UPDATE *********

Problem is FIXED. I got fed up and put on a new rim / tire / axle / rotors on off another 98 900rr and its perfect. I should have done it one by one to find the problem, but I wanted to ride. Dont know if it was a bent axle, rotor, rotors, rim. who knows. All i know is my ***** mint now.

***** UPDATE *********