929 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 PM

Ryno is an unknown quantity at this point
929 problems

My friend dan has a 929rr and it seems to have throttle related problems at low speed. It is 1 down in front 4 up in the rear for gearing and the thing is real jerky(on and off the gas) it seems like you can't just roll back on the throttle aftyer you let of without it being real jerky. And when doing a slow roller or trying to scrape it the power just comes on or off really bad. He was wondering if anyone else has this problem with the bike being real jerky because of the fuel injection? The rest of us have just carburated 900's and don't have these problems. if anyone knows what it is let me know. thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 11:13 PM

icehot113 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is the problem? its a 929, its fuel injected and its geared... its going to be twitchy, the problem is ur throttle control, it takes more throttle control for it to be smooth, just like it takes more throttle control to be smooth on a 900 thats 2down 4up compared to a stock 900...

just ride it and get used to it and it will be fine, my 929 is 2 down 5 up and im prolly going to go to 2 down 10 up or so sometime soon...

im not trying to be a dick, but thats why...
-ice
Old 06-24-2003, 11:58 PM

yambike is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Icehot113. I thought the throttle response on the 929 was twitchy with stock gears. Gearing it lower will only make it more twitchy. The only cure is smoothing out your throttle hand, get rid of the hamfist! The 929 fuel injection doesn't seem to be as smooth as other fuel injected bikes though.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:41 AM

Lance__ is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 929 and it jus took getting used to because alls i had was carbs util the 929 but when you get used to it you'll be fine took me a few months
Old 06-25-2003, 09:16 AM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point
I know exactly what you mean,

say your rolling like 5 mph, and you crack the throttle, and the bike dies for like 2-3 seconds then kicks in, mine does it which makes burnouts and slow first gear wheelies a bitch, tell your buddy to check his air box, there is suppose to be a flap inside that remains closed until 7,000 rpms, alot of people remove this flap to get more horse power, which they really shouldnt do, i'm going to get mine back in, and try it.

My buddys bike does it with a slipon, and no powercommander too, so that could also be your problem...pm me if you want more info.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:39 AM

David P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
my 929 was twitchy when i geared it. but like everyone else has said, it just takes some getting used to.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:43 AM

929 problems

The bike is stock and still has the air flap in the box. It isn't just the responsive throttle the bike seems to die running low. Ever now and then the thing actually shuts off. Sometimes doing a sloww wheelie you can hear it just cut out and them bam the things comes back on and it almost goes over backwards. Or if you are rolling at 5000rpm and hit it sometimes the thing just cuts out. We thought it was water in the tank or a bad fuel filter from when we bashed the tank in, but everything looks fine. i know the fuel injection is much more responsive but is there anything you can do to take the edge off the initial kick in power? Will a power commander help? Were going to have the local honda shop look at why it shuts off and hesitates. Thanks again
Old 06-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Regular StuntLifer

BrynBaily is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 929 problems

Originally posted by Ryno
i know the fuel injection is much more responsive but is there anything you can do to take the edge off the initial kick in power? Will a power commander help?
I had a power commander on mine last year..........it caused me to go over. All it did was give it a real mean power curve between 4,000 and redline which made it more difficult to control. One thing I've learned is more power isn't gonna make it easier to stunt! Gettin used to the bike is about the only way to get over the way it acts. Practice, practice, practice!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:06 AM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point
It might be shutting off doing a 12 because the tip sensor is turning the bike off, a power commander might help
Old 06-28-2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Miltown
It might be shutting off doing a 12 because the tip sensor is turning the bike off, a power commander might help
how is a pc going to help with a tip over switch? i didnt take the switch out, i dont have a problem...
-ice
Old 06-28-2003, 02:41 AM

Re: 929 problems

Originally posted by Ryno
The bike is stock and still has the air flap in the box. It isn't just the responsive throttle the bike seems to die running low. Ever now and then the thing actually shuts off. Sometimes doing a sloww wheelie you can hear it just cut out and them bam the things comes back on and it almost goes over backwards. Or if you are rolling at 5000rpm and hit it sometimes the thing just cuts out. We thought it was water in the tank or a bad fuel filter from when we bashed the tank in, but everything looks fine. i know the fuel injection is much more responsive but is there anything you can do to take the edge off the initial kick in power? Will a power commander help? Were going to have the local honda shop look at why it shuts off and hesitates. Thanks again
just cuz u gear it doesnt mean it wont shut off when riding a slow wheelie, if u hit the brake hard on low rpms and slow the engine down its going to shut off, they r sportbikes, they r designed to run higher in the top end, not down low or vertical. one thing u can do is check the plugs, it will make the bike run shitty... u gear the bike to make it have more power down low and to run at higher rpms while going slow, if u dont want the initial kick of power than put the gearing back at stock, it will fix it...

make sure when the bike goes down u pull the clutch in cuz if u dont and u put it down and roll it can start right back up, just as if u push started it, and if ur on the gas that could make for a nasty wreck...

ur problem with twitchyness is throttle control, i know it sux to hear that, but thats what it is, just ride and get used to it, that is the only way its going to go away...
-ice
Old 06-28-2003, 09:57 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Re: 929 problems

Originally posted by icehot113
make sure when the bike goes down u pull the clutch in cuz if u dont and u put it down and roll it can start right back up, just as if u push started it, and if ur on the gas that could make for a nasty wreck...
Just make sure not to pop the clutch when the bike comes down or you'll end up looking like I did in the video of me wrecking
Old 06-28-2003, 11:28 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
my stunt bike is 1 down 5 up and it's bone stock otherwise and i have no problems at all. Mine is 10 times more smooth than my friend's gixxers and r6's. I'd check for bad gas, check the plugs, and maybe clean the fuel injectors.

Mine is smooth all the way down to 1500rpm, now, it is torquey, but smooth with it, no sputter or anything.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:37 PM

Its not the gas cause its been doing it for a while. We'll clean the injectors, replace the plugs, adn see what happens. We thought the bike was just that jerky stock but he rode another 929 totally stock and he said that one was smooth as it could be. so some how its getting a bad mixture at low rpm. Possible that something fell into the tank when we bashed it in and clogged one of the injectors. Thanks for the info
Old 06-29-2004, 12:56 AM

charkly is a decent person
Re: 929

ever figure it out-that sounds like what my bikes doing-anything under 2k it bogs and stumbles nasty. Mike