frame alloy? 6061?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough
Re: frame alloy? 6061?

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
Just go score one of these

Tracking RL to the moon+
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

any big scrap yard will have one of those and i bet they would check your frame for you it only takes a second
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

yeah got about 15-20 g's??????
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i may be wrong here but wouldn't it make sense to just heat treat it like it was the highest grade ?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:33 AM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

no cause all diffrent grades have diffrent heat treat cycles... an you need to do the right one.

but i started workn on it today... an i was bracing with 6061 aluminum.. an the frame is definetly a dense'r alloy.. not quite sure what...

but mr. johnny p your wrong about it not being able to be 6061... you can for 6061 like that when its T1 heat treat which is basically no heat treat an then they would heat treat to most likely t6 after....

but the way it welds is diffrent then the 6061 i was using...
ill post pics of the little progress i made
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 AM

Name:  untitled1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  untitled3.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  untitled-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  strip.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  85.1 KB

i know it doenst look to fancy yet... still got alot of work to do... these are the pics so far till my phone died.... last one is the start

and i decided to heat treat before powdercoat haha
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 AM
SEAT SPREADER COMBOS

burnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura about

was your frame starting to crack?

and whats with the support either side of the engine mounts?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by burnoutnut
was your frame starting to crack?

and whats with the support either side of the engine mounts?

MR. Zackie Chan........ says.. he has broken a many 636 frame...
and this is what he did to fix.... so no argue'ment thats what i done do ing!

this is by far not done... jus giving you people an idea of what im doing....

Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old man roger
i may be wrong here but wouldn't it make sense to just heat treat it like it was the highest grade ?
no! that coulsd actually harm the process. the manufacture will be able to give you exact metal grade and heat treat numbers as well.....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
also known as OMR

i thought the heat treating was what designated the grade
Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
i thought the heat treating was what designated the grade

its the same as with a hamburger... you gotta start out with good meat.... cause the more you cook crap,,, its not gonna get any better

Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM

Cincykillz is a decent person

so did you ever find out what alloy it is? ha sorry its something densr than 6061

Last edited by Cincykillz; 07-20-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:20 AM

heres some more updates of what i woke up at 6 am to work on....

Name:  untitled4.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  untitled5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  70.5 KB
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Hopefully you're gonna bondo that all up and get it powdercoated when you're done?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by nags
Hopefully you're gonna bondo that all up and get it powdercoated when you're done?

bondo an powdercoat? i dont know if you can do that...

but its a stuntbike... function over form....:YEAH

but it is geting powdercoated.....
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 AM

g1kon1wheel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
MR. Zackie Chan........ says.. he has broken a many 636 frame...
and this is what he did to fix.... so no argue'ment thats what i done do ing!

this is by far not done... jus giving you people an idea of what im doing....

frame looks good. its true about the frame cracking (or braking right off ). look at this pic of zackie chans frame, notice the weld right above the motor mount going horizontal on the right side of the bike. i used 1/2" 6061-t6 for the braces and he never had a problem after that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 386.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	211821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 385.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	211822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 381.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	211823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 383.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	211824  
Old 07-20-2008, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by g1kon1wheel
frame looks good. its true about the frame cracking (or braking right off ). look at this pic of zackie chans frame, notice the weld right above the motor mount going horizontal on the right side of the bike. i used 1/2" 6061-t6 for the braces and he never had a problem after that.

he sent me pics an they were like mine.... those look nice too thou... better welds but hey i got ALL sorts of excuse.... but none of them make my welds look any better
Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 AM

he sent me pics an they were like mine.... those look nice too thou... better welds but hey i got ALL sorts of excuse.... but none of them make my welds look any better

ya. these are like 4 years old and was the first frame that he had problems with, and they show a good pic of the brake on the right side. just take your time on the welds, don't rush it, and you will do fine. thats the thing about tig welding, the more you do it the more comfortable you get the better consistancy you will have.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by g1kon1wheel
ya. these are like 4 years old and was the first frame that he had problems with, and they show a good pic of the brake on the right side. just take your time on the welds, don't rush it, and you will do fine. thats the thing about tig welding, the more you do it the more comfortable you get the better consistancy you will have.

ya that was my excuses..
i was limited on time because i have to get it to powder coat, and still going to heat treat it. did he heat treat his frame?

but i had to rush cause first 2 days were after work i used shop, been welding all day at work, jus to do more... and i was short on time to work.
then i woke up this morning while i could get in to the shop from 6am till 11:30 i think... so more being rushed. an i still didnt finish.... halve like 30 mins probly left.... jus 2 welds then buff it out to make is looke decent after beating the gussets to bend it in shape... then into the heat treat ovens at my work....

im confident with powder coat it wont look bad. im still not sure of what color to do thou hahah
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 AM

ya that was my excuses..
i was limited on time because i have to get it to powder coat, and still going to heat treat it. did he heat treat his frame?

but i had to rush cause first 2 days were after work i used shop, been welding all day at work, jus to do more... and i was short on time to work.
then i woke up this morning while i could get in to the shop from 6am till 11:30 i think... so more being rushed. an i still didnt finish.... halve like 30 mins probly left.... jus 2 welds then buff it out to make is looke decent after beating the gussets to bend it in shape... then into the heat treat ovens at my work....

im confident with powder coat it wont look bad. im still not sure of what color to do thou hahah

no heat treating done on that frame. i hear you about the time issue. it looks fine and should look fine after the powder, remember it is a stunt bike, so as long as it stays together and nothing brakes than thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: frame alloy? 6061?