F4I has unstable idle and makes a strange noise after shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM

-Loco- is a decent person
F4I has unstable idle and makes a strange noise after shutting down

hey guys, my buddy has a problem with unstable idle on his F4i, the bike ran fine before but recently started idling very unstable, like it hasnt got fuel or something... it also makes a strange buzzing sound a couple seconds after you shut it down...
i've tried to search for similar issues but didnt find any good info

maybe someone has had the same problem with his F4i and knows how to fix this?

oh yeah, the bike has the clean air mod done and has the second idle cable...

thanks in advance

Last edited by -Loco-; 06-24-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4I has unstable idle and makes a strange noise after shutting down

sometimes....Before the 2nd Idle adjustment screw is added to an f4i.... SOme people (including myself) will use the other Idle screw to turn up idle.... problem is ...the Stock idle screw is actually an air fuel richening screw of some sort...and IS NOT the proper way to turn up idle.... On my Bikes it cause an erratic Idle (surged and would not steady out properly ) when Adding the 2nd Idle Adj Screw (which mechanically opens the Throttle bodies .... You need to First Reset the Original "stock" Idle adj screw...

This is just my guess as to what could possibly be wrong....of course it could be many other things.... check all you wire connections and sensors (on or around the airbox and all electrical connections under the seat where the computer plugs in .

good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold
Re: F4I has unstable idle and makes a strange noise after shutting down

did you mess with the stock idle after doing the clean air mod? i had to play with it to see were my idle pulled the best. if you did the clean air mod with a plastic tee fitting and left the stock valve were it was and plugged in, thats probably the noise your hearing.