05 636 Subframe (pics, reinforced, info, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Herb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 05 636 Subframe (pics, reinforced, info, suggestions)

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
+1 Id be making something that looks stock
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I JUST WANNA RIDE

BOYD is a decent person

ill take one or two of em
Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by Herb
Hey hows that stay working for you? Havent heard from you since I shipped it out....Hope its keeping your bike lookin as good as it did in your pics you posted....
Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Guru is a decent person

+1 Id be making something that looks stock, just like my 03/04 billet subframe...With integrated solid Titanium round bar

Id need a trashed subframe to chizzle apart to scan the square tube sections, so that I can get the geometry to cut those out of solid on the water jet....
looks sick.... if either me or dan sent you a subframe you could trash how long till you could have 2 done??? we need em asap
Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Herb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey hows that stay working for you? Havent heard from you since I shipped it out....Hope its keeping your bike lookin as good as it did in your pics you posted....
That stay gets more attention than the rest of the bike does. I'm progressing in leaps and bounds on that bike. I just wish I could get more seat time on it with moving into the new house and all. And it still looks as good as new. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guru
looks sick.... if either me or dan sent you a subframe you could trash how long till you could have 2 done??? we need em asap
Ok I just had a look at the broken one I have here, and to me it seems that while the square tube does flex a little most of the problem is in the rear cast section...So I think the easiest way to tackle this problem is by adding some plate to the sides to strenghen the tube section... And cut the whole cast section off the back and replace it with something solid...Im going to try and design a new rear section to replace the cast part, that I can weld onto your OEM sub...And have it tie into the side plates also, so its all one solid unit front to back...

Now are you guys going to care if I make a rear section to replace the cast part, that would require you to cut the trunk box off at the back? There isnt much room as it is, and if Im going to make a new rear section Im going to make it thicker and therfore the box will need to be moddified for that to fit...

If this works out how I think it should, I can have the plates cut out on the water jet, and the rear sections ready made too..So you guys can send in your busted subframes and I can re-enforce the sides. And cut off the rear cast section and replace it with my new solid rear section....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Guru is a decent person

Ok I just had a look at the broken one I have here, and to me it seems that while the square tube does flex a little most of the problem is in the rear cast section...So I think the easiest way to tackle this problem is by adding some plate to the sides to strenghen the tube section... And cut the whole cast section off the back and replace it with something solid...Im going to try and design a new rear section to replace the cast part, that I can weld onto your OEM sub...And have it tie into the side plates also, so its all one solid unit front to back...

Now are you guys going to care if I make a rear section to replace the cast part, that would require you to cut the trunk box off at the back? There isnt much room as it is, and if Im going to make a new rear section Im going to make it thicker and therfore the box will need to be moddified for that to fit...

If this works out how I think it should, I can have the plates cut out on the water jet, and the rear sections ready made too..So you guys can send in your busted subframes and I can re-enforce the sides. And cut off the rear cast section and replace it with my new solid rear section....
i dont have a problem chopping down the box part.... i need to anyways so i can fit my foot in the seat.....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM

i dont have a problem chopping down the box part.... i need to anyways so i can fit my foot in the seat.....
Ok good....I'll start designing a new rear section tommorrow...The plate parts Im not worried because thats very simple, I just have to trace out the shapes scan them, and the water jet will cut them out in no time...

Let me get a prototype made out of the one I have here, then well go from there...And I can try to figure out how much there parts will cost to make...I could even sell them as a do it yourself kit, that you guys can have welded onto your subframes locally...That way you dont have to ship your subs out here just to be modded...Even though my TIG welder is sic with TIGing **** like this...

The shitty thing is if SI just made their round bars mount to the tube section of the subs, closer to the front instead of just the cast part at the back...This problem would be %90 solved just adding one of thier bars....I was very dissapointed when I recieved their round bar for the 05/06 because it was instantly obvious that the cast section it bolts to was going to blow up eventually...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person

i run sick inovtions 12 bar. it mounts to stock subframe. 3 bolts on each side. 1 through exhaust and 2 into frame. most mine have been cracking up in the area where the exhaust servo is. just past were the frame is reinforced from the factory. i did have one that cracked back on the cast part as well.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CRAZY DAN
i run sick inovtions 12 bar. it mounts to stock subframe. 3 bolts on each side. 1 through exhaust and 2 into frame. most mine have been cracking up in the area where the exhaust servo is. just past were the frame is reinforced from the factory. i did have one that cracked back on the cast part as well.

Well plating up the sides of the tube section should prevent it from flexing and cracking there...And replacing the rear cast section will prevent that from breaking...And tieing all of that toghther with the side plates should make it all one very solid unit front to back...Flex is what get these cracks to start forming....

Here is where my friends is cracking at the cast section, right where its welded to the tubes.
Name:  1015.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  51.6 KB
First it starts to bend right where it cracks...And you can tell because the bar starts to rip through his tail and point really high in the air...
Name:  1016.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  38.8 KB
Then it cracks...This sub is brand new and already fucked, when I went to take these pics the passenger seat wouldnt even come off its already bent up so badly.... And you can see the paint is peeling where its bending, so probably his next scrape its going to crack...
Name:  1018.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  44.6 KB

I still cant believe someone would make a bar that only bolts to that cast part Its so ******* weak how can you think thats going to hold....Man if this was my bike Id be going through 1 sub every session! My buddy takes it easy and still fucked 2 of these subs with the SI bar...

Last edited by JohnnyP; 06-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

Well plating up the sides of the tube section should prevent it from flexing and cracking there...And replacing the rear cast section will prevent that from breaking...And tieing all of that toghther with the side plates should make it all one very solid unit front to back...Flex is what get these cracks to start forming....

Here is where my friends is cracking at the cast section, right where its welded to the tubes.

First it starts to bend right where it cracks...And you can tell because the bar starts to rip through his tail and point really high in the air...

Then it cracks...This sub is brand new and already fucked, when I went to take these pics the passenger seat wouldnt even come off its already bent up so badly.... And you can see the paint is peeling where its bending, so probably his next scrape its going to crack...

I still cant believe someone would make a bar that only bolts to that cast part Its so ******* weak how can you think thats going to hold....Man if this was my bike Id be going through 1 sub every session! My buddy takes it easy and still fucked 2 of these subs with the SI bar...

thats not where the problem is. it bends and breaks where coming from the main frame its two pieces of square stock that goes to one as its heading towards the rear of the bike. that IS the weak spot! where you are looking is weak to but not as bad as where im talking about lol
Old 06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

here ya go....its held up pretty good for me like this. ive gone threw 4 of them and this one seems solid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	subframe copy.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	210963   Click image for larger version

Name:	subframe inforced copy.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	210964  
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beto
damn, not hating but that looks retarded on the bike
I'd like to have a solid subframe like what's been talked about here, but nobody is making them yet, so i didn't want to keep buying subrframes. It might look retarded, but it works. I would love to buy a couple of Johhny's if he makes them or if someone else makes something
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Guru is a decent person

Originally Posted by SIC Nate
I'd like to have a solid subframe like what's been talked about here, but nobody is making them yet, so i didn't want to keep buying subrframes. It might look retarded, but it works. I would love to buy a couple of Johhny's if he makes them or if someone else makes something
i want a solid one now
Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 PM

G-Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

i want a solid one now
+1
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM

melloyello is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 Id be making something that looks stock, just like my 03/04 billet subframe...With integrated solid Titanium round bar

Id need a trashed subframe to chizzle apart to scan the square tube sections, so that I can get the geometry to cut those out of solid on the water jet....
So, where are the pics of the billet one at? After something is bent, cut, welded, aka: reshaped I don't consider it billet anymore. I consider billet as all one section, one piece, cast into the shape needed.

Last edited by melloyello; 06-25-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by melloyello
So, where are the pics of the billet one at? After something is bent, cut, welded, aka: reshaped I don't consider it billet anymore. I consider billet as all one section, one piece, cast into the shape needed.
The side rails are billet 6061 cut out from blocks, and then welded together...So its made of billet peices welded together...And you just contradicted yourself with this commnet "cast into the shape needed" Because anything cast is not billet, billet means cut or machined from a solid piece...

So its not a complete billet sub but its made of billet parts welded together...And BTW nothing is bent those rails were cut out of solid blocks...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by GSE Nick
thats not where the problem is. it bends and breaks where coming from the main frame its two pieces of square stock that goes to one as its heading towards the rear of the bike. that IS the weak spot! where you are looking is weak to but not as bad as where im talking about lol
How can you tell me thats not where my problem is, when my friend broke 2 in that exact same spot. And has not broken any where yours is broken....Speak for yourself cause thats not where we are having problems...yet anyways. Either way I will be taking care of both problem areas, so it doesnt really matter, I just think its funny your trying to tell me thats not where our problem is when we obvioulsy are..lol
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

i just use the stock exhuast as a scrape bar. holds up real well and doesnt break the subframe. unless u do foot in bar **** then theres really no point in having a 12 bar and no need to reinforce the sub. u can get stock exhaust for free all day long and one will usually last me 6 to 8 months.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
i just use the stock exhuast as a scrape bar. holds up real well and doesnt break the subframe. unless u do foot in bar **** then theres really no point in having a 12 bar and no need to reinforce the sub. u can get stock exhaust for free all day long and one will usually last me 6 to 8 months.
Yeah but they look likes ****

Some people are going to want to run aftermarket pipes....

Quick Reply: 05 636 Subframe (pics, reinforced, info, suggestions)