Reasons for bike swaying during sit-downs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 AM

bman2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Reasons for bike swaying during sit-downs?

For the record, I am fairly new to stunting and am still learning the basics. Riding 30 mins North of Boston on the border of NH. Haven't really mastered BP and obviously haven't started slowing em down yet, but I'm getting there. I'm covering the brake and my throttle control has definitely come a long way. I've got a sprocketed F4 with a powers cage and had just thrown some woodcraft clip-ons on after hacking the **** out of my upper before my last ride. Because it's my first post, I thought the intro should be included.

Last weekend, pulled into the lot with a couple of buddies and made a couple of passes doing some 2nd gear sitdowns and stand-ups. Came around and snapped up a sitdown close to what seemed to be BP, but not quite there and I noticed that the bike began to sway left to right. I put it down and shrugged it off. On my next pass, did another sit-down, and this one felt like it was higher, and the bike began to sway back and forth pretty hardcore. Before I new it, I was rolling on the ground and my bike had slid about 20 ft. Cage took a pretty good beating, I bent a clip-on and dented the rim, but a small price to pay for what I would say a 35-40 mph duff.

Doing stand-ups, I have never had an issue with the bike wobbling or swaying, but with these higher than normal sitdowns (for me at least), I ended up eating ****.

Has anyone had any experience with the bike swaying in a situation like this? Could it be tire pressure, or just my position on the bike, or maybe the plastics catching some uneven wind resistance? I'm ******* stumped. For all I know, it's just that I suck. What are people generally running for tire pressure at on the f4s and f4is? After that fall, I'm probably gonna stick to stand-ups, but obviously I don't want to have to avoid sit-downs because of a fear of this **** happeneing again. I appreciate any feedback or criticism in advance.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 AM
rock stock

xXxNO LOVExXx will become famous soon enough
Re: Reasons for bike swaying during sit-downs?

first of all, welcome too the forum...

second, thats just inexperience. i cant really do sitdowns for **** and i get the same wobble. you just gotta practice more! maybe let a little air out of the tire if its a lot bike? but body positioning and learning how to lean a little bit will definitely steady the bike for you.

what town in mass? im about 20 minutes south of boston
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Registered Spammer

old duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond reputeold duffer has a reputation beyond repute

choppy throttle or pressure too low

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 AM
rock stock

Originally Posted by old duffer
more so choppy throttle i would think. he said pulled into a lot and started clutching wheelies up. i hope that he isnt riding on streets in mass with tire pressure under 20
Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 AM

y2kmk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old duffer
That's the only thing i can think of.. mine do the same thing but it's my shitty throttle/brake technique
Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 PM

bman2u is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses everyone...

I'm up in Methuen. Where south of Boston are you?

Tire pressure is around 28 psi. In all honestly, I had let some pressure out before I went out that day and the bike had never done that **** before.

I thought my throttle control was pretty solid, but for all I know I could have been chopping the **** out of it.

Has anyone ever had any issues with denting rims when going down? This is the second more serious fall I've taken and I've dented the rim both times. My guess is that it's where the cage sits and that when it hits the ground, the angle that the cage makes with the bike causes the rim to bend, or it could be tire pressure. Sucks cause I spent $150 getting it fixed last time and am probably gonna just pick up a new one.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

How much pressure are you running?....

I've never bent or dented a rim... at least not enough to notice...

And I smash my bike a LOT
Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 PM
rock stock

Originally Posted by bman2u
Thanks for the responses everyone...

I'm up in Methuen. Where south of Boston are you?

Tire pressure is around 28 psi. In all honestly, I had let some pressure out before I went out that day and the bike had never done that **** before.

I thought my throttle control was pretty solid, but for all I know I could have been chopping the **** out of it.

Has anyone ever had any issues with denting rims when going down? This is the second more serious fall I've taken and I've dented the rim both times. My guess is that it's where the cage sits and that when it hits the ground, the angle that the cage makes with the bike causes the rim to bend, or it could be tire pressure. Sucks cause I spent $150 getting it fixed last time and am probably gonna just pick up a new one.
i live in west bridgewater, but ride in canton. its right off of 93 like your goin to curry college

again, you just need seat time. practice will solve all of your problems. and if you get pissed about it, your gonna ride like ****! remember that.

btw, get a rubber faced deadblow hammer, cover the dent with a rag, and beat it back into place if you can. its better than havin the damaged spot cut out and a piece tig'g in place and machined
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Squid Standers. Get Owned

CRA$H AZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by xXxNO LOVExXx
more so choppy throttle i would think. he said pulled into a lot and started clutching wheelies up. i hope that he isnt riding on streets in mass with tire pressure under 20
i ride the streets of phoenix with 15 rear and 10 front cuz i have leaks

new tires tomorrow though

i live in west bridgewater, but ride in canton. its right off of 93 like your goin to curry college

again, you just need seat time. practice will solve all of your problems. and if you get pissed about it, your gonna ride like ****! remember that.

btw, get a rubber faced deadblow hammer, cover the dent with a rag, and beat it back into place if you can. its better than havin the damaged spot cut out and a piece tig'g in place and machined
my parents are from canton dude.....weird.

anyways its most likely TOO much throttle control and not enough brake control i run into the same thing but when i hold the throttle steady and use the brake it doesn't do it.

in my mechanical opinion its basically torque steer on one wheel. in a stand up you have more leverage over the bike and your weight is distributed better compared to a sit down where all of your weight is directly on that rear tire and you aren't in a position to get the same leverage so any throttle input/chop will make the bike go one way or the other.

seems to make sense to me?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
rock stock

Originally Posted by CRA$H AZ
i ride the streets of phoenix with 15 rear and 10 front cuz i have leaks

new tires tomorrow though

my parents are from canton dude.....weird.
the roads out here are ****** trash for the most part. dickloads of potholes and road repair...

yea, that is kinda wierd. if they still live out here, you should definitely come visit and ride. i got a nice couch lol

me and a few ppl from the mass mayhem crew have been ****** around with the idea of comin out to AZ for a week or so once the weather gets cool/cold out here.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 PM

the roads out here are ****** trash for the most part. dickloads of potholes and road repair...

yea, that is kinda wierd. if they still live out here, you should definitely come visit and ride. i got a nice couch lol

me and a few ppl from the mass mayhem crew have been ****** around with the idea of comin out to AZ for a week or so once the weather gets cool/cold out here.
well my dad and grandparents live on cape cod now....but when i come out i won't have my bike with me.

ya'll should come out here this fall/winter!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
rock stock

yea, were definitely tryin to make something happen for the fall/winter. and we got a spot that is right in wareham that we ride sometimes on the weekend. thats about as close too the cape as you can get lol. you could always come chill and go to the bar after or something.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
rock stock

btw, thats gonna be a long ******* drive for us since were bringin the bikes lmao. im gonna hate everyone in arizona by the time we finish driving lol
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 AM

btw, thats gonna be a long ******* drive for us since were bringin the bikes lmao. im gonna hate everyone in arizona by the time we finish driving lol
but it will be a wigg splittin good time!! and i'll hit you up whenever i go out there.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 AM
rock stock

Originally Posted by CRA$H AZ
but it will be a wigg splittin good time!! and i'll hit you up whenever i go out there.
yea def. maybe bring some of them guys with ya to ride out here. i got room at my house for atleast 3 ppl... i know the guys here would love to ride with anyone from that crew. plus, not everyone from up here will be able to make it down there im sure