Anyone know about engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 AM

Shake is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know about engines?

Has anyone ever tried using that silicone gasket stuff for their head gasket and valve cover gasket? or do you just have to fork out the dough for factory replacements?

If anyone was successful, what type silicone gasket u used....

or if not where is the cheapest place to get new gaskets!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 AM

REVLIMIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Anyone know about engines?

You can use silicone for valve covers I usually use the black...if you really wanted to...you could use it for your head gasket....if you do please post pictures and tell us how much the new motor cost haha
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

yep get the gaskets
Old 05-19-2008, 03:29 AM

Crash Nash is an unknown quantity at this point

OMR when do you sleep LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM

I think he just stays up all night searching for any posts that mention his subcages haha
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well ya ...lol
Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 AM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Years from now I'll be able to reminisce how when I bought a subcage from OMR it was before the PayPal days...

...when you could still pay with spare change.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:07 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by pixel 6
Years from now I'll be able to reminisce how when I bought a subcage from OMR it was before the PayPal days...

...when you could still pay with spare change.
i still should have epoxied pennys all over your subcage
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 AM

so I take it thats a NO!. ok thanks!

so can you you reuse the headgasket if it isnt blown? like if you just want to remove the head to clean the pistons, can you put it back together, or do you 100% have to buy a new gasket? anyone with good knowledge on this please let me know. Thank You.

Last edited by Shake; 05-19-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM
squid hunter

Trick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to behold

dude a head gasket is like 20-30 bucks....
GO BUY ONE
Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Trick
dude a head gasket is like 20-30 bucks....
GO BUY ONE
money isnt the issue, its time. I bought this bike to ride around this upcoming weekend in myrtle beach so i wanna do it b4 then, Im guessing the dealer wont have one in stock !
Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Alright I'll just stop playing around dude don't reuse a head gasket that's just bad. If you REALLY want to then go ahead but that motor is gonna get fucked up.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

If you order it now.. You should have it by wed thur... Just get the gasket...
Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

silicon for a head gasket?

Asking a question like that, shows you have NO business rebuilding a motor..

Start with rebuilding a lawn mower, or weed wacker.. Move up to a go-cart.. Then give rebuilding a dirt bike a shot.

edit:
Originally Posted by shotta
money isnt the issue, its time. I bought this bike to ride around this upcoming weekend in myrtle beach so i wanna do it b4 then, Im guessing the dealer wont have one in stock !
another thing.. Don't try rushing a rebuild! Thats a quick way to re-do it next week..
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

A head gasket is just one of those parts you DON'T reuse. You ALWAYS buy a replacement, besides... it's a piece of mind. Do it right the first time, or else there will be a 2nd time shortly thereafter.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
A head gasket is just one of those parts you DON'T reuse. You ALWAYS buy a replacement, besides... it's a piece of mind. Do it right the first time, or else there will be a 2nd time shortly thereafter.
+1

Although I will admit, on 50's, I re-use head gaskets

But thats like a 30 minute job to get the head off, and replace it lol
Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I wouldnt reuse a head gasket on a 4 stroke

ok maybe on a 50 since theyre so easy
Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Crash Nash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Farley
+1 yeah he is correct never reuse a gasket....I used to be a mechanic for Harley and people used to bitch all the time about us charging them for gaskets when we worked on some thing, and I would have to explain to them that if it is a part with a gasket and we have to take it apart, we have to change the gasket....besides most dealers keep gaskets in stock
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
silicon for a head gasket?
another thing.. Don't try rushing a rebuild! Thats a quick way to re-do it next week..
i dont need it to last a week, just a weekend, I dont rock 1000's i just bough it to use this weekend, after that i probably wont touch it for however long, but I was pretty sure it wouldnt work but i decided to ask anyways.

besides how hard could it be? I used to take radios apart all the time when i was a kid! sure there were a few spare parts whenever i put em back together, but they all worked just fine without them!

PS: just ordered the gaskets head & valve cover. getting here tomorrow so wish me luck on my first engine breakdown! but just incase this doesnt go as planned, anyone got an extra 1000rr motor laying around?

Last edited by Shake; 05-19-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 PM

hughes_097 is a decent person

nahh you don't need the gasket just get the **** in the tube i sealed a 476 whp rsx block togher with it

Quick Reply: Anyone know about engines?