Standard/HD Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Kliewer is an unknown quantity at this point
Standard/HD Cams

What's good, what's not? I've got up to 2 grand to spend on a camera. Anyone with any helpful info please chime in! I can't kill **** without footage any longer!

Last edited by Kliewer; 05-14-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:09 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: HD Cams

Let me preface this by saying I don't know **** about shooting video, this is just my limited knowledge from my limited experience.

It's not just about being HD, but a lot about the control the camera gives you over what you're shooting.

If you want a digital camcorder that offers a lot of options that shoots HD, 2k is a bit low. I think you can get HVX200's for around 3k. But there are plenty of non-HD camcorders that are amazing in the ~$1500 range (dvx100,gl2,vx2000/vx2100).

If you just want a simple HD camcorder that anyone can use (which is probably helpful if you're trying to get other people to shoot footage of yourself) there are plenty of cameras out there for way less than 2k.

Last edited by inolen; 05-14-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM

SCOTT_Chychul has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Go to bestbuy and have a peek. I got some filming skills
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Well u better break em out, cuz I got mad stall combos and death speed everything.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM

And thanks for your input Inolen. I'm definately in favor of the GL2, DVX100 and other similar cameras. I'll change the title to better suit what we'll be discussing here.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person
Re: Standard/HD Cams

just sold my canon gl2, fish eye, the whole works to johnny seals! it was a bad *** camera. i recommend the gl2 if your looking to get into making videos. i just stepped up my game and bought a HD. AFLS 4 coming out on blue ray!

:YEAH
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Yeah we got a Canon HD consumer camera for 1k at best buy. **** looks nasty on HD tv. Renders pretty good . .We used that for the last vid we put out. I think tigrro is supposed to host the full clip
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

everyone i have talked to says sony is way better at night.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
"Back on the Block"

JohnnyBmore will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
everyone i have talked to says sony is way better at night.
I used to think the sony was better @ night till I learned how to set up my cannon properly ... now my GL2 is the **** @ night !!!

PS.... I LOVE THE CANON GL2 but BmoreXtremeFilms is in need of some HDness !!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM

bikefreak600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T-Dubby
Yeah we got a Canon HD consumer camera for 1k at best buy. **** looks nasty on HD tv. Renders pretty good . .We used that for the last vid we put out. I think tigrro is supposed to host the full clip
dude you can get that camera from several stores online for $500
not trying to rain on any parades, but i would never buy a camera from a retail store
i found a online store that sells canon xlh1 for $1200
Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 PM

cashmoneyflo is a decent person

Originally Posted by bikefreak600
dude you can get that camera from several stores online for $500
not trying to rain on any parades, but i would never buy a camera from a retail store
i found a online store that sells canon xlh1 for $1200
what store is this u speak of?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 PM

bikefreak600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cashmoneyflo
cant remember all the names, just search around, every week different stores have big sales on different cameras. but i have only been shopping for canon
Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cashmoneyflo
One that never sends the product
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice

Originally Posted by inolen
One that never sends the product
no doubt! $1200 for a camera worth about 7-8k is waaaaay too good to be true.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM

skidmark is a decent person

My bro has the Sony HDR-FX1 Pro. He took a shot and got it from a private seller in the US... and the deal went through with no problems.

It's f-in insaine what that thing can do but it'll cost ya some big $, not much more I can say about it since I've never used it cuz he won't let me touch it since I have a knack for breaking things :D
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kliewer
What's good, what's not? I've got up to 2 grand to spend on a camera. Anyone with any helpful info please chime in! I can't kill **** without footage any longer!
you lookin 4 a camera or camcorder?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Nascency Chris is a decent person

cameras...awesome!

inolen, if you can find an hvx for 3k, hook a brotha up ...the best i have found is 4500...

johhny, you know i love the gl as well, but most of the sonys kill it at night, especially the vx 2100...the new ex1 is pretty sweet too...

first rule of online camera stores...if its in new york city it is probably a scam shop (aside from known places like b&h)...do your homework with any online store and check out resellerratings.com or something like that...and if the price is too good to be true it probably is...

the az crew got an hv30 if i remember right...the hv20 can be found for around 500 but the 30 is still in the 900 range, so they did pretty good with their buy (although i would stay away from big box retail in the future)...

canon hv20/30s are sick little cameras, alot of bang for the buck with them...i might go that way if i was you...

fx1 is slick too (and i believe can be found used in your price range)...
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Call the Coast Guard!

LRMzx636 is an unknown quantity at this point

I burned through 3 cameras in 3 months.

JVC HD3 - Consumer HD handheld. Had a very impressive quality of video but the Enviro movie format was a bitch to edit.

Canon GL2 - Great camera, got it for a steal on Ebay. Low light did suffer but the ease of use was pretty well thought out.

Sony VX2000 - My current camera, definitely took it a step over the GL2. I wanted the VX2100 but missed the auction by 20 bucks. Hands down the best all around camera and for night shots... it reigns King.

I still would like to use a JVC GR-HD1 - Consumer HD camcorder for the wanna be big dogs. I just couldnt risk it for a single chip camera.

The battle came down to 3CCD vs Single chip HD and I went with the safest bet for all around ease of use and conversion. You can find the HD1 for under $1k on ebay and some sample footage on youtube etc. It produces a very impressive shot as well. Evan talked me into the VX2000 series and im glad he did. If you can't burn in HD/BlueRay then when you edit clips for the net its about useless IMO. The shots and colors are clear but still highly compressed to be viewable online. The HD3 was a HDD camcorder and 60 gig at that... one day of footage converted on the PC would run about 50 GIG of space on my HD. Even though waiting for video to capture in real time blows ***... the ease of editing the native AVI is a lifesaver all its own.

Also the Canon HV30 is set to be this years top pro-sumer camera for under $1000. So far it has rave reviews.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
"Back on the Block"

JohnnyBmore will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nascency Chris
cameras...awesome!

inolen, if you can find an hvx for 3k, hook a brotha up ...the best i have found is 4500...

johhny, you know i love the gl as well, but most of the sonys kill it at night, especially the vx 2100...the new ex1 is pretty sweet too...

first rule of online camera stores...if its in new york city it is probably a scam shop (aside from known places like b&h)...do your homework with any online store and check out resellerratings.com or something like that...and if the price is too good to be true it probably is...

the az crew got an hv30 if i remember right...the hv20 can be found for around 500 but the 30 is still in the 900 range, so they did pretty good with their buy (although i would stay away from big box retail in the future)...

canon hv20/30s are sick little cameras, alot of bang for the buck with them...i might go that way if i was you...

fx1 is slick too (and i believe can be found used in your price range)...
Good advice from a great source!!!

I might have to get one of those Hv30's
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Call the Coast Guard!

LRMzx636 is an unknown quantity at this point

www.bestpricecameras.com

SCAM. Called them and asked about some XL2's and FX1's and the GL2 and the prices they gave me were retail over the phone and the site lists the cameras for something retarded. Some people say they get thier **** but hundreds of pissed off people I found

Quick Reply: Standard/HD Cams