All you dual caliper-ers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Suicidal Antics is an unknown quantity at this point
All you dual caliper-ers

Just setup a dual caliper on my 636. its just a custom welded backet, but the handbrake caliper is upside down. I bled it out, got a nice feel to the lever, put it on the bike, still plenty of feel, but using a GSXR radial master, i can 4-finger this bitch to the bars, and get hardly any feedback. I dont get it. Anyone ever have any issues like this? Its a 636 rear caliper, attached to a spiegler stainless line, to a gsxr radial. should be simple, but this thing has been kicking my *** since i started working with it.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: All you dual caliper-ers

if you value your life, id man up and buy a hohey bracket. ive personally seen 3 diff peoples welded brackets brake, one in mid wheelie. 155 dollars isnt alot of money when you get a piece of mind knowing that you have a piece of equipment that absolutely will not fail.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM

125ktm is an unknown quantity at this point

gsxr masters are junk
Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM

ive had good luck with the master... i ran it on a junction-hb setup and didnt have issues with it. So i dont think that is the problem.

as for the welded bracket.... yeah ill probably swap it out someday, but for now it'll have to do. I value my front end not falling off, more than having my handbrake crap out in the lot. fork swap is first.

I just cant seem to figure out why the wheel wont lock up, even with all that pressure
Old 04-27-2008, 09:31 PM

bigkapp is a decent person

ive had a similar problem, i have to give a couple pumps before i get pressure, ive blead it bout 4 times, with about 2 bottles of fluid.. cant get it, and ive bled many brakes and its not rocket science, i just cant figure it out... right now i got the lever ziptied to the bar hopefully that will work...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 PM

Thats the thing. Mine has a TON of pressure. There is no pumping it up. Ive vacuum bled probably an entire quart through the system (recirculating the fluid), and there is zero air. Thats what confuses the hell outta me.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ho_Hey is a decent person

Make sure you bleed the hand caliper with the bleeder nipple pointed straight up or first bleed it on the stock position then reposition on to the back for hand brake operation. I believe your problem is bleeding with the caliper in the back you have air at the top of your piston due to the angle of the bleeder. Good luck and hit us up when your ready for a safer alternative.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Air.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	208948  

Last edited by Ho_Hey; 04-27-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

Originally Posted by 125ktm
gsxr masters are junk
400 ft SS coasters with that junk master..not to mention 400+ endos with the same junk master.. i speak from experience how bout you?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Well thats the thing. I bled it with the caliper upright ( I learned that trick the hard way).

The lever is a little spongy, but nothing un-rideable. I cannot physically pull the lever to the bar with one hand. It builds up enough pressure to stop me, but yet, if i hold the handbrake with everything i got, and someone grabs the 12bar, and push/pull the bike, they can just BEARLY move it, but still move it nonetheless.

And im sure ill probably hit you guys up again soon. Already grabbed a set of rearsets and the fronnt caliper bracket.. Good stuff.Only thing i ran across, is i had to re-tap one of the holes for the front caliper bracket...the threads were a little iffy (like it was cross threaded a little)

And i wish i had 400ft to ride.... let alone be able to roll coasters or stoppies that far.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:24 PM

try to force bleed it.pump the lever a few times,hold it to the bar and crack the bleeder.do that few times and then from the foot master.that should get what the vac doesn't.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Its a dual caliper setup. The stock rear brake is entirely independant from the handbrake setup. So I have a gsxr radial master up on the bars, runs through an 80" Spiegler line, to a rear caliper.

I really dont think its an air issue because it has sooo much feedback in the lever. Its not like i can pull the lever to the bars. It builds so much pressure that it physically stops me from pulling it any farther. But its like the caliper just wont lock up the rear wheel...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 PM

are they new pads? and because this is a welded bracket...and not machined, the caliper could be **** eyed just little.does the brake drag really bad when your not pulling the lever?sounds to me like they are new pads and haven't been used yet.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 PM

killswitch12283 can only hope to improve

if its radial it should be fine, radial with dual caliper is going to be awesome, when you get it bled you will be very happy, 125ktm is an idiot, i agree about pads, only thing i can think of, go ride for a little bit draggin your hb, should get them spicy for ya
Old 04-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ho_Hey is a decent person

Originally Posted by Suicidal Antics
Its a dual caliper setup. The stock rear brake is entirely independant from the handbrake setup. So I have a gsxr radial master up on the bars, runs through an 80" Spiegler line, to a rear caliper.

I really dont think its an air issue because it has sooo much feedback in the lever. Its not like i can pull the lever to the bars. It builds so much pressure that it physically stops me from pulling it any farther. But its like the caliper just wont lock up the rear wheel...
Kawasaki uses Tokico rear calipers which the do not perform nearly as good as Nissin rear calipers that’s why we also offer the 4 piston adapter which mounts to our Kawasaki dual brackets this mod will without a doubt increase your braking.

Last edited by Ho_Hey; 04-27-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 PM

Nope, no resistance/brake drag. And its a used caliper off another 636 so i would assume that the pads have enough time on them.

The only thing i can think of, is the bracket is flexing. But i still dont understand how that would matter, becuase it sandwiches the rotor.... regardless of side/side flex it shouldnt matter, because its still placing a ton of pressure on the rotor.

I then thought maybe i got brake fluid on the pads. so i rode the hell out of the brakes, and it didnt change at all. weirdest thing ever. Ive done every single junction handbrake that we run, and have never had an issue bleeding them. This one, which should be the easiest setup ever, is being a complete bitchhh
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ho_Hey
Kawasaki uses Tokico rear calipers which the do not perform nearly as good as Nissin rear calipers that’s why we also offer the 4 piston adapter which mounts to our Kawasaki dual brackets this mod will without a doubt increase your braking.
Yeah... i think that is going to be tomorrow project. rip the front caliper off the f4i, and try that...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM

killswitch12283 can only hope to improve

maybe seals in the master are fucked? or a hidden bubble behind the seal can be a real real bitch to get out, go old school, get clipon elevated, ziptie lever to grip tight, open resevoir and leave over night, can work miracles......says aaron, worth a shot since you tried everything else
Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah i just tried the ol ziptie trick, and swapped to the f4i caliper... we'll see how it works tonight....

I think i found my problem though. That 'ROCK SOLID" feel that i had..... was the back part of the lever smacking into the triple tree. I didnt realize that they even hit, so i have a feeling this was probably my problem.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 PM

Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 PM

hah yeah... douchebag move. I guess i didnt realize that on gsxr radials that there is a piece on the inside of the lever, that as you pull it, the backside of the lever actually swings out. It looks like its a stop for when the lever returns to its natural position, so its not like i can just cut it off.

Im ok with that.. easy fixes are always good.

Quick Reply: All you dual caliper-ers