question about muscle memory and Working out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point
question about muscle memory and Working out...

Hey guys ...i was wondering if any of you know.... if muscle memory is affected by working out ?

I'm a slow learner ...but i got idle wheelies sort of OK...and I normally know my progression rate (slow but steady) But for some reason the past couple of weeks ... i feel like i'm months behind.... my side to side balance has gone to **** (well , it's droped a notch or two anyways ...seriously feels like 2 months ago or something )

the only few thing i can figure it could be is....

#1 I've been working out crazy hard for a couple weeks now (everyday) doing this P90X program ...and they talk about muscle confusion ... so you dont plateau....so i wonder if that's screwing up my ****.... plus i'm sore everyday (another claim that program makes... that i'll be sore for the whole 90 days ...doh ! )

#2 the other possibilities...is im on a new tire (but i should have had that figured out in 2 days or less ...and i've ridden on this tire for 8 days approx now ) And the ONLY other Possibility is that ....I have been bumping up my rear tire pressure approx 1 Lb a month (trying to work up to Street pressures ) and it normally takes me a couple days to get used to 1 more Lb of air.... well with this new tire i figured i'd jump 2 or 3 Lbs to a round number (20 psi) and I figured it might take a few days to get used to it.... BUT , dang ...It's been approx 8 days ....and I feel like the last 3 days my **** got a little worse (that's why Im wondering about the muscle memory vs working out thing )

Any Opinions ?? any of you experience these setbacks anywhere along the way ?

any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated ... thanks guys
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM

BISHOP PHILLIPS can only hope to improve
Re: question about muscle memory and Working out...

Originally Posted by ExtremeAcres
Hey guys ...i was wondering if any of you know.... if muscle memory is affected by working out ?

I'm a slow learner ...but i got idle wheelies sort of OK...and I normally know my progression rate (slow but steady) But for some reason the past couple of weeks ... i feel like i'm months behind.... my side to side balance has gone to **** (well , it's droped a notch or two anyways ...seriously feels like 2 months ago or something )

the only few thing i can figure it could be is....

#1 I've been working out crazy hard for a couple weeks now (everyday) doing this P90X program ...and they talk about muscle confusion ... so you dont plateau....so i wonder if that's screwing up my ****.... plus i'm sore everyday (another claim that program makes... that i'll be sore for the whole 90 days ...doh ! )

#2 the other possibilities...is im on a new tire (but i should have had that figured out in 2 days or less ...and i've ridden on this tire for 8 days approx now ) And the ONLY other Possibility is that ....I have been bumping up my rear tire pressure approx 1 Lb a month (trying to work up to Street pressures ) and it normally takes me a couple days to get used to 1 more Lb of air.... well with this new tire i figured i'd jump 2 or 3 Lbs to a round number (20 psi) and I figured it might take a few days to get used to it.... BUT , dang ...It's been approx 8 days ....and I feel like the last 3 days my **** got a little worse (that's why Im wondering about the muscle memory vs working out thing )

Any Opinions ?? any of you experience these setbacks anywhere along the way ?

any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated ... thanks guys
i go to rehab... since i had surgury backin dec... and i work out hard...and when i ride a day or two after hard workouts.... i ride like ****... i dont know why...but i do... i thought it was just me but i have done the p90x thing like 3 years ago... we used it for football stuff and you will be sore about 80% of the 90 days.... but i only ride like 2x or 3x a week and work out only 2 days a week... if i am really sore i dont ride... cause it seems like my reflexes are off... dont know if this helps but good luck bro ...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

you shorten those muscles doing the power workouts, then they react like they did when they were long and supple, leaving you a little "off" plus there's the general stiffness and reduced mobility of post workout lactic acid build up, or whatever they're calling it now. it affects you on the finesse level and you just have to smash through it and loosen up the newly built muscle, make it supple again through use.

massage helps a bit
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
soon to be retired

thanks bishop.... maybe there IS something to this then... I'm feeling like what you described.... but I GOTTA Ride ! even if i ride shitty

I'd like to be able to pinpoint something though...and maybe be able to work around it or something.

anyone else experience anything like this ? or know facts about muscle memory (and how it works ) ?

thank guys
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 PM
soon to be retired

Originally Posted by excessa
you shorten those muscles doing the power workouts, then they react like they did when they were long and supple, leaving you a little "off" plus there's the general stiffness and reduced mobility of post workout lactic acid build up, or whatever they're calling it now. it affects you on the finesse level and you just have to smash through it and loosen up the newly built muscle, make it supple again through use.

massage helps a bit
thanks Excessa ... that sounds like it makes sense... hmmm a massage would be heavanly.... I need to find me a GF
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by ExtremeAcres
thanks bishop.... maybe there IS something to this then... I'm feeling like what you described.... but I GOTTA Ride ! even if i ride shitty

I'd like to be able to pinpoint something though...and maybe be able to work around it or something.

anyone else experience anything like this ? or know facts about muscle memory (and how it works ) ?

thank guys
one way to counter act this .,,, is creatine.... if you take creatine... drink alot of water to flush it out of you ...we took creatine when i played football it helps muscle fatigue and speeds up recovery alot...instead of being sore for 3 days you are sore for one day or less...once you get on creatine for like 2 weeks...but again i stress drink water ....lots of it...creatine is what we take to recover from a hard game or hard workout...works like a charm...its in the gnc store for like 10-30 bucks..

also another reason for feeling a little off...is that you are doing the p90x thing.... that focuses on your fast twicth muscle fibers...in your body... not the main muscle... the fast twitch fibers is what gives you defination and cuts... and the draw back if that stunting mainly uses these muscles to perform... most of you fast twitch muscle are in your back,arm and legs... hence the reason for you feeling off....80% of the stuff we do in stunting is with our back,arms, and legs.... so i think you are just fatigued...you may want to pace the work out since the riding is a wworkout in itself bro

Last edited by BISHOP PHILLIPS; 04-18-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 AM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by BISHOP PHILLIPS
one way to counter act this .,,, is creatine.... if you take creatine... drink alot of water to flush it out of you ...we took creatine when i played football it helps muscle fatigue and speeds up recovery alot...instead of being sore for 3 days you are sore for one day or less...once you get on creatine for like 2 weeks...but again i stress drink water ....lots of it...creatine is what we take to recover from a hard game or hard workout...works like a charm...its in the gnc store for like 10-30 bucks..

also another reason for feeling a little off...is that you are doing the p90x thing.... that focuses on your fast twicth muscle fibers...in your body... not the main muscle... the fast twitch fibers is what gives you defination and cuts... and the draw back if that stunting mainly uses these muscles to perform... most of you fast twitch muscle are in your back,arm and legs... hence the reason for you feeling off....80% of the stuff we do in stunting is with our back,arms, and legs.... so i think you are just fatigued...you may want to pace the work out since the riding is a wworkout in itself bro

theres so much mis-information in this post i don't have nearly the time to correct it all.
extreme acres- basically that program is not for you, if your muscles are sore, that is absolutely NOT a good thing. being sore for 90 days is just mind bogglingly bad for yoru body. training to failure will not build you strength as efficiently as using heavier weights with lower repetitions. also, you will be more sore the less sleep you get and the less GOOD food you eat. so eat healthy and get at least 8 hours of sleep, especially with that dumbass program!\

you know everyones talking **** about working out when theyre posting on SL at 2AM! sleep is the key to muscle recovery...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
soon to be retired

thanks aw0n0... I'm eating GOOD and I sleep my 7.5 to 8.5 hours every night.
I personally like the program... I dont mind feeling sore... and in just a few weeks i'm already def. stronger...and feeling fitter... c'mon now dude...this program might not be for everyone.... but it cant be that bad if professional athletes are using it

anyways .... I like Excessas theory of "smash through it" I'm just gonna do what I gotta do... and and try and juggle both the workouts and riding...
maybe try and find a chickie to exchange massages with me :YEAH

I was just trying to find a "reason" for my non-progression in balance or muscle memory.

I'm going to start writing down notes everyday... and try and analyze the info in a few weeks ...and see if i can pinpoint any more details better.

thanks to all of you for your advice
Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM

[quote=aw0n0;3252026]theres so much mis-information in this post i don't have nearly the time to correct it all.

not here to bust ***** and give as you would put it ....mis information...any advice given to him is gonna be hit and miss cause only he knows his body and how it acts... and if you have never done that p90x work out.... i am sure of it you will be sore for 80% of the 90 days... the 20% you are not sore... are just a few days in between that are meant for recovery hence the results of a ripped body... i played football for a living for 10 years(3 college 7pro) ...i dont know all the answer to health science...but i do know the subject of soreness and fast twitch fibers.... trust me with 4.16 speed you have to know it. everybody has there own thoughts....on what works and what shouldnt work.... so unless you are a acredited sports science/medicine student.... you really cant say its wrong...and i haver a minored in the subject at the university of texas. but it doesnt make me right either...just knowledge of the topic.... and besides that from the looks of your avatar you look like you can stunt the hell out of a bike for sure... but a little on the none muscular side... i am 188 pounds with 4% body fat and pretty ripped so i think i know a thing or two about muscle memory......again not busting *****....just stating the credentials and trying to help a fellow stunter out.... no hate or anything like that intended to you homie...... take care
and do what you feel is right for you extreme acres....everybody's body has a different recovery level and the program is good but you may be out of shape and it takes awhile to get use to a high impact workout...pro athletes do use the program but not for 90 days. and most of them guys are already in top shape so the workout aint so bad.....well be easy gotta get back to work

Last edited by BISHOP PHILLIPS; 04-18-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
ITS A LETHAL WORLD !!!!

Lethal Rider can only hope to improve

My buddy owns a Muscle Max ( not sure if you have them in TN but is a fitness/supplyment store here on the WestCoast ) ... been in the business about 15years .... his name is Jed ---- 209-368-7867 ... he should be able to answer your questions.... tell him D House sent yeah...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

don't over stretch, I'd tone down trying to make fast advances in bulk and go for endurance workouts instead, it's better for the fluid motion you need to really progress as a technical rider. but don't just lay around for a few days. take a 18-24 hour break if you really wreck yourself, ice first then heat is the last I heard on the topic. and on the second or third day, a normal dose of advil, it's anti inflammatory and helps with the blood flow through the muscle tissue, but don't abuse it, just take the normal dose or it beats up organs.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 AM

sorry, muscles are interesting to me. and they look good on you guys, so I try to support...
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM

ricroc is a decent person

i have been riding 4 days straight still learning my idol and rear brake and balance from side to side. when my hands get tired and cramp up i notice i drop the bike more so i just do 3 or 4 wheelies then stop and then start again. and drink a gang of water during riding and after it helps me recover for the next day. beer makes me tired and still sore the next day
Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 PM
soon to be retired

Thanks Again to ALL of you

and yes Excessa..... I'm not going for Bulk... the program has variations for "bulk" or "lean ripped" and I'm doing the "more reps with less weight version" ....

And Bishop... I can tell you know your **** pretty good too... You have hit many accurate points...

I'm 40+ and been a recreational athlete all my life...and while i was in decent shape already... i was looking to drop 20-30 lbs (that have accrued over the past few years ) and i've been modifying my workouts accordingly to "not wipe myself out" but instead progress at my bodys allowable rate... I'm just looking to get as fit as possible at my age ...and then try to maintain it with a healthier lyfestyle than what I had slowly fallen into. (easy basic stuff...ya know ? smarter eating choices...and regular exercise ) I actually worked out lightly for a few months...just to get ready for this program. and i'm starting to feel really good about how it is all going . ( I just wish my wheelies would progress at the same rate as my fitness...dang it ! )

Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM

good luck with the program and the wheelies bro... seeing yourself transform is really cool... makes you feel good all over and ... you get your sexy back like justin timberlake.... well something like that ... if i go to kos i am sure you will be there...so catch you then take care man
Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Riding tired definitely makes it harder

When I first go out, I have no problem doing any of my tricks.. As my riding wears on, and I get tired, I start getting REALLY sloppy

I noticed it REAL bad on my 50... When I"d go out fresh, I could cut 50+ combo circles, no problem, Jumping from the pegs up to the seat, back dwon to the pegs, jumping to HC circles, pulling back through to flamingos..
But when I'd be tired.. I'd be wobbling, circles would go wider, then tighter, I'd always miss my pegs as I'd jump, and after about 10-15 maybe 20 circles i'd be beat and have to stop for a minute..

Originally Posted by aw0n0
theres so much mis-information in this post i don't have nearly the time to correct it all.
extreme acres- basically that program is not for you, if your muscles are sore, that is absolutely NOT a good thing. being sore for 90 days is just mind bogglingly bad for yoru body. training to failure will not build you strength as efficiently as using heavier weights with lower repetitions. also, you will be more sore the less sleep you get and the less GOOD food you eat. so eat healthy and get at least 8 hours of sleep, especially with that dumbass program!\

you know everyones talking **** about working out when theyre posting on SL at 2AM! sleep is the key to muscle recovery...

Tell that to people in prison, that train 2-4 hours a day, everyday, and hurt all day and are tired all day.

Then get out, and are bigger then people who use steroids on the outside..

Last edited by Towlieee; 04-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM

mikkee is a decent person

I work out hard 3-4 days a week, ride all weekend, and try to get one riding day in during the week. I always go into my stunt sessions sore and stiff. It's all mental buddy, I don't have a problem with it cuz I'm a fukin champion!

I do take creatine but only before lifting not for recovery and loading. Once i'm warmed up I'm fine. You sound like you think too damn much. If you think of little things/ excuses for your poor riding or progression then there will be and you will continue to suk because of it. The most important muscle when it comes to riding and muscle memory is your brain.. Stop ******* with it n thinkin about **** and just go in confiednt and kill it.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=BISHOP PHILLIPS;3252266]
Originally Posted by aw0n0

not here to bust ***** and give as you would put it ....mis information...any advice given to him is gonna be hit and miss cause only he knows his body and how it acts... and if you have never done that p90x work out.... i am sure of it you will be sore for 80% of the 90 days... the 20% you are not sore... are just a few days in between that are meant for recovery hence the results of a ripped body... i played football for a living for 10 years(3 college 7pro) ...i dont know all the answer to health science...but i do know the subject of soreness and fast twitch fibers.... trust me with 4.16 speed you have to know it. everybody has there own thoughts....on what works and what shouldnt work.... so unless you are a acredited sports science/medicine student.... you really cant say its wrong...and i haver a minored in the subject at the university of texas. but it doesnt make me right either...just knowledge of the topic.... and besides that from the looks of your avatar you look like you can stunt the hell out of a bike for sure... but a little on the none muscular side... i am 188 pounds with 4% body fat and pretty ripped so i think i know a thing or two about muscle memory......again not busting *****....just stating the credentials and trying to help a fellow stunter out.... no hate or anything like that intended to you homie...... take care
and do what you feel is right for you extreme acres....everybody's body has a different recovery level and the program is good but you may be out of shape and it takes awhile to get use to a high impact workout...pro athletes do use the program but not for 90 days. and most of them guys are already in top shape so the workout aint so bad.....well be easy gotta get back to work
the avatar is over a year old, but i am light, 165 on a good day. but that doesnt make me weak. i can squat twice my body weight, bench press 235 (and i never bench press), deadlift 2.5x bw, etc. being an effective stuntman is all about strength to weight ratio...
your statements on fast twitch muscle fibers being what makes you cut...thats just ridiculous. type II muscle fibers are the explosive, anaerobic fibers that give athletes '4.19 speed'. everyone is born with a certain percentage of type I and II fibers that cant be changed very much. diet is what makes you cut. having a high ratio of fast twitch muscle fibers makes you genetically superior.
the strongest men in the world...i.e. the bulgarian weightlifting team, trains all day 6-7 days a week. but, they do about 1 lift every hour or so. extremely heavy weight, no more than 2 repetitions.
being sore effects performance, and as a stunter/stuntman this is extemely detrimental as you can hurt yourself pretty badly.
also, youd be very surprised to know just how ineffective NFL football S&C coaches actually are. they take the strongest, most elite athletes in the world. the ones we bred selectively to be the most powerful they could be out on the cotton fields for 300 some odd years and turn them into decent weight lifters. the athletes we have in the US are genetically the most superior in the world, yet somehow the rest of the world makes up for it with intelligent training regimens.

Last edited by aw0n0; 04-18-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Tell that to people in prison, that train 2-4 hours a day, everyday, and hurt all day and are tired all day.

Then get out, and are bigger then people who use steroids on the outside..
again, you have someone who has been bred for manual labor and put him in a cell where all he can do is workout...he can do pretty much anything and become freaky strong. but for regular people, like myself, who have more brains than brawns, well we have to train smart.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Don't Ride Dirt is a decent person

My Muscle memory forgot what it was suposed to remember!!

Now i'm just a fat bastard until it remembers what it forgot!!!

Until then, I guess i'm stuck behind this big *** double cheese burger!!!:YEAH

how sad, i remember what i just said!!

www.ryderclips.com/shiftsocks.html

Quick Reply: question about muscle memory and Working out...