06 636 idling erratic and not pulling hard

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM

jbstunts is a decent person
Re: 06 636 idling erratic and not pulling hard

not gonna, thought i had seen someone write about it and i did i found it in the kleen airmod thread so im prettty sure nothing goes to it
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I JUST WANNA RIDE

BOYD is a decent person

[quote=Jb420;3237955]
Originally Posted by BOYD

alright, found a vacuum line i overlooked, it was the one that plugs into the sensor mounted in front of the throttle bodies, the line that connects to all the vacuum ports on the front of the throttle bodies. my question is there is a identical sensor right beside it that has no vacuum line going to it. but it looks like it should get a hose and is plugged in to the harness. does anyone know if anything actually goes to it oh yeah it is idling right now
glad to hear....:YEAH it seemed to easy to overlook, glad im not the only one..... ill take a look in the morning.. see if it looks the same here
Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Jb420;3237955]
Originally Posted by BOYD

alright, found a vacuum line i overlooked, it was the one that plugs into the sensor mounted in front of the throttle bodies, the line that connects to all the vacuum ports on the front of the throttle bodies. my question is there is a identical sensor right beside it that has no vacuum line going to it. but it
looks like it should get a hose and is plugged in to the harness. does anyone know if anything actually goes to it oh yeah it is idling right now

Glad you found the problem.

Those two sensors are part of your fuel system.
The one on the right measures inlet air pressure (NEEDS VACUUM LINE)
The one on the left measures atmospheric pressure (NEEDS TO BE OPEN)

Plug up the left one (atmospheric) and your bike will run worse. Please leave it open to the air.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

ON AND OFF SUBJECT. MY 06 636 THE FI LIGHT COMES ON AND IT CUTS OFF AND THE POWER BAND. I ROLL ON THE THROTTLE AND SHE STOPS DEAD AT AROUND 9K. SAME THING HAPPENED LAST YEAR AND I TOOK IT TO THE SHOP AND OF COURSE THE FI LIGHT DIDN'T COME ON SO HE COULDN'T RUN CODES TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG. SO I PUT A NEW AIR FILTER ON, AND PUT FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER IN IT AND SHE WORKED GREAT THE REST OF THE SUMMER. A WEEK AGO I FIRED HER UP AND WENT FOR A RIDE (NO PROBLEM) SAT I FIRED HER UP AND FI LIGHT TURNED ON, SAME **** HAPPENED . SO I PUT INJECTOR CLEANER IN IT.....NOTHING. SO I DROPPED HER OFF AT THE SHOP AND I PRAY THE FI STAYS ON SO HE CAN RUN A TEST AND FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS . SORRY

I AGREE I THINK IT'S UR VACUUM
Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 AM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your bike is running in a dealer "limp" mode. For example, if there is a problem with the main throttle sensor (TPS) the ECU will lock the ignition timing into the "closed throttle position". It will also shut down injectors if it detects a problem with any of the stick coils. Could be numerous things, having the codes would help greatly.

Not sure about the o6 models, but the 03-04 models have two modes for the FI light for codes.

Dealer mode 1 indicates current problems or codes active in the ECU.
Dealer mode 2 indicates past problems and codes stored in the ECU.

Fairly easy to pull codes off the kawi computers. Clearing codes is another matter. Unplugging battery and ECU WILL NOT do it.

You have to enter the ECU into Dealer mode 2, pull in clutch for 5 seconds and release, then continuously open and ground the self-diagnostic lead more than 5 times within 2 seconds.

Long story short, your codes from last year are still in the ECU as well as any codes that are currently turning on your FI light.
There is of course some exceptions. Problems with fuel pump or relay, ECU power or ground, and fuel injectors will not turn on the FI light or be stored as any codes.

Not sure if that helped at all, but if you could post some more info or what codes they discover, I'm sure we could come up with a solution.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by ToKwik
Sounds like your bike is running in a dealer "limp" mode. For example, if there is a problem with the main throttle sensor (TPS) the ECU will lock the ignition timing into the "closed throttle position". It will also shut down injectors if it detects a problem with any of the stick coils. Could be numerous things, having the codes would help greatly.

Not sure about the o6 models, but the 03-04 models have two modes for the FI light for codes.

Dealer mode 1 indicates current problems or codes active in the ECU.
Dealer mode 2 indicates past problems and codes stored in the ECU.

Fairly easy to pull codes off the kawi computers. Clearing codes is another matter. Unplugging battery and ECU WILL NOT do it.

You have to enter the ECU into Dealer mode 2, pull in clutch for 5 seconds and release, then continuously open and ground the self-diagnostic lead more than 5 times within 2 seconds.

Long story short, your codes from last year are still in the ECU as well as any codes that are currently turning on your FI light.
There is of course some exceptions. Problems with fuel pump or relay, ECU power or ground, and fuel injectors will not turn on the FI light or be stored as any codes.

Not sure if that helped at all, but if you could post some more info or what codes they discover, I'm sure we could come up with a solution.
THANKS.. . I'LL POST WHEN I HEAR SOMETHING FROM JASON (SHOP OWNER) IT DOESN'T STAY ON ALL THE TIME, SOME DAYS SHE WILL BE ON, OTHER DAYS SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP. SHE IS A STUBBORN BITCH THE START OF RIDING SEASON.