Careless driving ticket... suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 AM

chpsk8er630 is an unknown quantity at this point
Careless driving ticket... suggestions

I got nailed today for careless driving. I passed a van to get into the turning lane cause I was gonna make a turn at the next light. I accelerated to 45mph to pass the car and when it was safe I switched lanes. Cop said i went 60 and cut off a van. And apparently listening to an ipod is illegal too. And expired tags... I was on my way to get the bike inspected since it was the first nice day i got to take it out.... which sucks
So i have a clean record and have never got pulled over before or in an accident or anything like that. What do you suggest doing? Im not worried about the fine. Its the 3 points i cant take. I cant afford the insureance if it goes up.
So what is everyones opinion on fighting this. I never been to court before and need to know what to say to talk my way out of this. Cop was a real dick about everything looking over the bike asking dumb questions. And all I learned from this is im never stopping again and cops have nothing better to do but be ******** to bikers.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 AM

EnderWiggin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Careless driving ticket... suggestions

What was the speed of the road?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

fight it, or take defensive driving...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 AM

speed was 35 and i was in traffic doing 40. I went 45 tops to pass a van to get infront of him so i could get into the left lane. Its such bs and the cop knows it. I just never been to court and dont know how to try to fight it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Shake is an unknown quantity at this point

my dude ur riding a 600. dont even think about running from the cops unless you got alot of traffic or your in a pack. most people are under the impression that this is easy to do. it takes a different mindset to do that ****, and if your bike is straight its not worth it, and if you've never done it before, you definitely dont want to try it on an f4i stock much less one with a sprocket.

my advice would be to go to court and state your case, if youve never gone before, then ur record would look good and it should be dismissed, but try as hard as possible to get it dismissed, cuz once you got one thing on your record, everytime you have to go back to court after that, then they automatically assume ur guilty then it just compounds with time. so even if you have to pay a lawyer for the first time just pay to get it dismissed.

If you keep an out of state ticket then you don't have to worry about points. they try to scare you saying that it transfers, but if you just pay the tickets, they dont and your record stays clean. trust be ive done it all.

Last edited by Shake; 04-04-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

when you go in plead not guilty and they will reset your court date... then when you go the cop prolly wont show so it will get dismised.. if he does, just explain to the judge exactly what happened
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

Originally Posted by shotta
my dude ur riding a 600. dont even think about running from the cops unless you got alot of traffic or your in a pack. most people are under the impression that this is easy to do. it takes a different mindset to do that ****, and if your bike is straight its not worth it, and if you've never done it before, you definitely dont want to try it on an f4i stock much less one with a sprocket.

+9217841t2571389438537489432

go on and get a felony evasion then tell me your worried about a few points on your license... and this coming from someone who has had a felony evading...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by chpsk8er630
speed was 35 and i was in traffic doing 40. I went 45 tops to pass a van to get infront of him so i could get into the left lane. Its such bs and the cop knows it. I just never been to court and dont know how to try to fight it.
And the only thing written on the ticket is careless driving? Or did he also put a speed? I suggest you start googling your states driving laws.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shotta

my advice would be to go to court and state your case, if youve never gone before, then ur record would look good and it should be dismissed, but try as hard as possible to get it dismissed, cuz once you got one thing on your record, everytime you have to go back to court after that, then they automatically assume ur guilty then it just compunds with time. so even if you have to pay a lawyer for the first time just pay it.

If you keep an out of state ticket then you don't have to worry about points. they try to scare you saying that it transfers, but if you just pay the tickets, they dont and your record stays clean. trust be ive done it all.
not that i recomend anyone run but, burning a cop on a 600 is just as easy on any other bike. the best way of running is not high speed, its quick acceleration hard on the brakes turn , hard accerl, etc. ive smoked cops on everyone of my 600s, stock geared and geared. i dont think ive ever broken 80mph in a chase. cop cars take almost 13 seconds to get to 60 mph where a 600cc is 3 seconds, it aint that hard. aaaaaaaaaaaanyway.... when you go to court, the judge will ask you if u want a lawyer, tell him not at this time and request a supportin deposition. which is basicly an explanation from the officer of what happend. they have 30 days in which to respond in writing to the request, most of the time they dont. and when they dont, by the statute you can make a motion to dismiss based on violation of your rights to a speedy trial. if the DA happens to want to push it (which they wont) u can make a motion to dismiss based on withholdint evidence, because thats what the cops statement is. if they do show up with a supporting deposition, read it carefully for any discrpenacies that would get the case thrown out. schedule for a trial and hope the cop doesnt show, which happens quite often. and if they dont show you will then make a motion to dismiss based on the prosecution not being prepared for trial. yes this **** works, i beat 3 tickets this year alone with these angles, and countless tickets over the years.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
And the only thing written on the ticket is careless driving? Or did he also put a speed? I suggest you start googling your states driving laws.

On the ticket he wrote 60mph( didnt say anything about being in a 35mph zone), cut off van( had plenty of room to make a safe land change), and earphones( i like listening to my ipod).

Do I need to get a lawyer for this? I dont even know how any of this **** works... never had to deal with it before. I was gonna plead not guilty and show up to court and hopefully the cop wont show up or they will offer to take the points away if I pay the fine. I dont mind doing that. Do I need a lawyer for just a careless driving and whats the benefit of getting one cause i really dont have money for a lawyer going to school full time and **** so one day I can have alot of money.

RojerLockless is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a good lawyer

and what happens if i dont get a lawyer?... can I still go to court?
sorry
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM

sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 AM

sorry
Yes, you just self represent yourself.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

sorry
u can get a lawyer at any stage in the proceedings. at anytime u can stop and say "id like to get a lawyer". try what i told u. u dont need a lawyer to do that. lawyers are gnna **** you 99% of the time. i wouldnt hire a lawyer unless i was looking at jail time. whats the worst thats gonna happen? ur gonna get a fine and some points on your license? why pay a lawyer 400 dollars for that. save your money for the fine if u end up gettin one. im 28 years old and ive been going to court since i was 14 years old over everything and anything u could imagine, ive learned alot. i dont **** with a lawyer unless im facing jail time. and ive been found not guilty and had more cases dismissed than you could ever imagine and i ws guilty of every damn one of em.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:55 AM

The fine i can deal with. I just want to try to get the points dropped cause i cant afford my insurance to go up. Thats the only thing i really care about.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 AM

and if the cop shows up... Its just my word against his right? I can just explain how i feel it wasnt careless and hopefully I will win but who knows. Id just rather try to get it taken away than just leave it alone. And ive done alot worse **** that I should of gotten introuble for and the day I get caught doign something was something that was pretty safe.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM

The fine i can deal with. I just want to try to get the points dropped cause i cant afford my insurance to go up. Thats the only thing i really care about.
if u do get any points just go take a defenseive driving course. its like 6 hours on a saturday of listening to some dick lecture and watch some vids. then it reduces your insurance by 15% and removes up to 4 points off your license. atleast thats how it works in ny.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM

wfooffroad is a decent person

Well, first thing is to go to court. Judges can be nice, if your nice and respectful to them first they will normally give you a break. Also look professional, you can do suit and tie but a nice long sleeve button up, a tie and slacks with shinny shoes works too.

As far as speed, unless he got you with a radar then you can fight the speed he said you were going because other wise he is just guessing and if im not mistaken even if they pace you they have to do it for a certain distance.

So.. Take the time, Go to court, Be prepared to go in, Be professional and be polite and nice.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Shake is an unknown quantity at this point

sdfkillz,
i see ur location says baltimore & ny. im assuming u mean the burrows. in the cities as i said with traffic and all the blocks, you can wiggle your way out if your a descent enough rider. ive done it enough times myself on 600's also. but the rest of the country isnt really setup like that. the highway aint no joke. I once got chased from exit 22 on the southern state, and i couldnt shake them until i jumped off the belt at merrick in queens, and i was on my duc 998 doing it. So it may sound cool but the reality of it is different. i ran because i just picked my **** back up from the dealer who was selling it for me, expired tags, no regi, no insurance, speeding, and my liscence was suspended, so i had no choice on that one, cuz it was straight to central booking if i stopped, and that was a friday evening. meaning it would of been a wrap until monday. + the charges/ tickets, impounding and all that, so its a last resort thing. I wouldnt run to get out of a bs ticket which is only going to cost a few dollars.

DON'T PAY THAT TICKET!!! Its ur first one it will **** u up from here on out. do everything to beat it. once they get u the first time, its over after that, everytime you have to go to court after this they will look at that 1 thing and assume ur guilty! works the same way with crime that why they try to arrest kids as young as possible no matter how petty it is so by the time their 16-17 they already got a long list of bs that it just looks bad. FIGHT IT!

Last edited by Shake; 04-04-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Careless driving ticket... suggestions