the noob wheeile fear

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 PM

black600k3 is an unknown quantity at this point
the noob wheeile fear

I have a bit of a problem. I've been riding for about 3 years now. Mostly canyon and drag. I have an 03 gsxr 600 and and 08 1000. I have this problem where I'm just completly unable to do stand ups. I can do sit downs on both bikes till the cows come home. Not quite at balance point but like on the 1000 I'll clutch it up at 25 and and go through first and second and be up for a mile before I chase both gears out. But I when I attempt and a stand up as soon as the bike comes up, I aginst my will just sit down every time. Is there anybody else? How do I overcome this? For the newt month i'm only gunna have the 1k can i learn on them on it? All of my friends took to stand ups like the first day they tried em.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: the noob wheeile fear

Originally Posted by black600k3
I have a bit of a problem. I've been riding for about 3 years now. Mostly canyon and drag. I have an 03 gsxr 600 and and 08 1000. I have this problem where I'm just completly unable to do stand ups. I can do sit downs on both bikes till the cows come home. Not quite at balance point but like on the 1000 I'll clutch it up at 25 and and go through first and second and be up for a mile before I chase both gears out. But I when I attempt and a stand up as soon as the bike comes up, I aginst my will just sit down every time. Is there anybody else? How do I overcome this? For the newt month i'm only gunna have the 1k can i learn on them on it? All of my friends took to stand ups like the first day they tried em.
some ppl got it and some ppl dont, but if youre convinced that you might still have it then listen to the following.

do not stand up with the bike. stand up before you clutch it. left foot on the rear passenger peg and right foot on the right drivers peg controlling the rear brake in case of an oh shitt. keep most of your weight on the left leg and keep it straight, dont squat. keep your chest away from your windshield lean back and be smooth and deliberate whn you clutch it up. if you dont clutch it all the way up to bp or very close to it the bike will feel unstable and may wobble wobble. do not run 42lbs of pressure in your rear tire, for gen street purposes run around 30 in the rear, you can still corner very well with it and will help stabilize wheelies at a higher speed. dont shift gears in wheelies, its not good. learn to keep on the throttle steadily reasiing the bike until it stops accelerating. thats all i can think of now.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Nellie636 is a decent person

ive only been riding for one year and i got sit downs quick but then when i moved to standups it was a whole other ball game. took me 4 months just to do a standard 2nd gear freeway standup comfortably. still sucked at them tho... i did the opposite locked out my right and had left bent on passenger peg (whatever is your preference) u learn more and more everyday u go out and practice. best thing is seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time, and a lil more seat time. if u got the ***** to drag knee then u can learn to do wheelies with the same comfort
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nellie636
ive only been riding for one year and i got sit downs quick but then when i moved to standups it was a whole other ball game. took me 4 months just to do a standard 2nd gear freeway standup comfortably. still sucked at them tho... i did the opposite locked out my right and had left bent on passenger peg (whatever is your preference) u learn more and more everyday u go out and practice. best thing is seat time, seat time, seat time, seat time, and a lil more seat time. if u got the ***** to drag knee then u can learn to do wheelies with the same comfort
it might have taken you 4 months to learn a staggered cuz u were squating with your left leg bent like that which makes it real hard to see where youre going and makes the bike unstable. and no i know a million guys that can drag knee but dont have enough coordination to do bp wheelies, its not even similar.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

I can do sit downs on both bikes till the cows come home. Not quite at balance point but like on the 1000 I'll clutch it up at 25 and and go through first and second and be up for a mile before I chase both gears out.
DAMN!!!!
Learn brake control first.
After that you will gain confidence when you start standing up, because taping the brake re-trains your brain that your not gonna flip over. Learn to use the brake to save yourself and control the bike at BP, then start doing other things. It makes attempting other things much safer .
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM

stuntman29 is a decent person

dont shift

stand staggered

find balance point

learn brake control

learn circles

become a stunt legend

its that easy.......
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM

I'm good with the rear brake and decent at the concept of wheelies. Is this ok to learn on my 1000? I know the 600 is easier but I won't have it back for another month or so. I know I need to get to bp but can i atleast practice the stand ups with chasing them for now?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm good with the rear brake and decent at the concept of wheelies. Is this ok to learn on my 1000? I know the 600 is easier but I won't have it back for another month or so. I know I need to get to bp but can i atleast practice the stand ups with chasing them for now?
u can learn on anything, especially on street. the larger cc bikes only really become more difficult to manage when doing slow/idle wheelies because the power is hard to control, not to mention the fact that theyre real expensive to crash. ppl were stunting liter bikes long before the 600cc craze.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

You can practice stands ups and chase them all day if you like. Would I recommend it, no. Especailly on the 1000 where your even more prone to loop.

If your good with the rear brake then start riding your sitdowns at BP. Are you actually using the rear brake when doing wheelies or are you just covering it and using all throttle. Wouldnt you rather learn to rock REAL wheelies with control and not chasing fast ones? Im not trying to be a dick.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM

i use the rear brake to bring down every single wheelie I do unless I'm not paying attention and smash the rev limiter. I would love to learn bp wheelies. I'm not intrested in learning the whole stunt thing at this time cause neither of my bikes are one's i would use. I would just love to learn long freeway type stand ups at bp that I know most of you guys don't like. I guess I'll just try and try and try. Did any of you guys ever have a hard time switching from sitdowns? Besided me and nellie. If so how did you over come. You learn bp just by throwing them up higher and higher everytime chasing it till you get it correct? Sorry i'm really new to stunts. But I'm a really good street,drag racer
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

i use the rear brake to bring down every single wheelie I do unless I'm not paying attention and smash the rev limiter. I would love to learn bp wheelies. I'm not intrested in learning the whole stunt thing at this time cause neither of my bikes are one's i would use. I would just love to learn long freeway type stand ups at bp that I know most of you guys don't like. I guess I'll just try and try and try. Did any of you guys ever have a hard time switching from sitdowns? Besided me and nellie. If so how did you over come. You learn bp just by throwing them up higher and higher everytime chasing it till you get it correct? Sorry i'm really new to stunts. But I'm a really good street,drag racer
I was in your same shoes like 5 years ago. 01 F4i stock geared. I learned sitdowns cause I could glance at the forks to get an idea if I was near BP. Stands up scared me to death. When your forks are parallel to the ground your basically at BP. once I got them to a certain height (this tooks months and months) I got on stuntlife and learned about the brake. I began doing what I usually would do then started to use the brake to bring me down. Then I started putting a little amount of pressure on the brake before clutching it up - clutch it from about 10mph, keep increasing height ( I actually would lock my throttle hand and control how fast the wheelie increased height with the brake) and consciously keep pressure on the brake but not dragging it hard. At or near BP it started to float, but I already had my foot on the brake. Id brake a little more and it came down. Doing this i never would go over 30mph. After that i was just chasing and running outta room. I did this 100 more times. I did encounter brake fade at times but after a while i could just tap tap tap to keep it at BP. Once I got that down I started doing stand ups. BUT I had the brake, so I practiced and practiced till I got em. Basically by clutch em up, leaning back and tap taping the brake.

Now when i rock my street bike (stock geared), I rock sitdowns or standups at any speed and keep it constant.

Last edited by 287ridah; 04-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

HallFace929 is a decent person

I started with power up sit downs and no brake, and still to this day my tail bone hurts if I sit for more then 30 min.

After that day I told myself **** wheelies! Then I started reading on here about the rear brake and started trying them again. I got pretty good with the brake and clutching and could hold a sit down for about 1/2 mile. Then one day I tried staggered stand ups and was not comfortable at all. But I knew I wanted to stunt some day and I knew stand ups were a must so I went out and bought a lil beat up 100cc, slapped some street tires and a bmx peg on the rear axel and sat in the lot for 5 days straight. After I could walk stand ups across AT&T Park's (SF Giants) parking lot I tried them on my 929. My 3rd attempt in 2nd gear took me 1/2 mile. After that is was just ajusting my style and getting the weight on my legs and relaxing my hands and arms. Now I walk stand ups for about 5+ miles.

The moral of my story is just pratice and learn to LOVE the brake (it will save you from broken tail bones which are NOT fun TRUST ME!!!)).

I just recently got a f4i and stunted it out and im happy I learned on my 929 cuz wheelie on the f4i are a joke. So go for it on the 1000, just take it slow. Clutch, staggared, brake, and BP are your 4 keys in becomes a basic wheel master.

Good luck and take your time. The day will come when A car full of hot bitches gives you the sign and you walk a wheelie till their throats hurt from screaming!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM

y2kmk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: the noob wheeile fear

Kane told me to hike my skirt up and just do it!

That's my advice.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM

HallFace929 is a decent person

Oh and don't be a squid about it! Don't try **** you don't got on lock around other cars/bikes/people. Its not cool and not safe. I know a person who is serving a life sentence cuz his 1st wheelie attempt ended up with him on both feet and his bike on top of 2 people. Him not a scratch, them... dead.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM

SON DOOBY is a decent person

practice on the 03 not the 08 would be a shame to wreck the 08 .. also when i was at that stage.. keep in mind its nice to have trottle control to. ..as far as brake control goes... . its different for everyone so go out there and just DO IT ! but on the old bike
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

sweet guys i'm gunna just sack up and go for it. I live in nm where we have miles of empty *** straight roads. So I'll just practice a full day on my next day off and see where I stand. Or if i stand lol
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM

REVLIMIT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah there aint really any technique to keep yourself standing. It's pretty much just telling yourself to stop sitting down haha.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM

OneWheelw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
some ppl got it and some ppl dont, but if youre convinced that you might still have it then listen to the following.

do not stand up with the bike. stand up before you clutch it. left foot on the rear passenger peg and right foot on the right drivers peg controlling the rear brake in case of an oh shitt. keep most of your weight on the left leg and keep it straight, dont squat. keep your chest away from your windshield lean back and be smooth and deliberate whn you clutch it up. if you dont clutch it all the way up to bp or very close to it the bike will feel unstable and may wobble wobble. do not run 42lbs of pressure in your rear tire, for gen street purposes run around 30 in the rear, you can still corner very well with it and will help stabilize wheelies at a higher speed. dont shift gears in wheelies, its not good. learn to keep on the throttle steadily reasiing the bike until it stops accelerating. thats all i can think of now.
+1
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 PM

-Mike W.- is a decent person

so wut would everyone here recommend to start? staggerd stand ups or sitting.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM

punchit is a decent person

so lets just say your doin a ss with your left foot on passenger peg. That left leg should be straight and not bent right? I have never realy noticed

Quick Reply: the noob wheeile fear