the noob wheeile fear

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM

madmancrash is a decent person
Re: the noob wheeile fear

do what i did, put a 12elve bar on, it will save your *** when you loopdy loop!!! plus, i put a sticker on it that said "squid in training"... when i scraped the sticker off from 12elving i figured i would have balance and skill... well, i scraped the sticker off... but went through 4 bikes and still couldnt rock a good stand up whoolie!!! moral of the story... r6's snap when dropped hard, AND LEARN BREAK CONTROL!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 AM

stuntman29 is a decent person

when everyone says brake control is key, they are talking about once you get to balance point, and go just a little beyond letting off the throttle does nothing so you have you tap the brake to keep it down.

you truly have brake control when you can slow wheelies down from like 40 to like 5....

if you are not at or near balance point then you have no idea of brake control.

but keep riding.... you will have a eureka moment when you hit the floating feeling of balance point....then go like 10 degrees farther back and you truly are at balance point....hahaha

Last edited by stuntman29; 04-04-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by -Mike W.-
so wut would everyone here recommend to start? staggerd stand ups or sitting.
Try both. Sitdowns were more comfortable for me, but others like standups.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:14 AM

kjtw73 is a decent person

Originally Posted by stuntman29
when everyone says brake control is key, they are talking about once you get to balance point, and go just a little beyond letting off the throttle does nothing so you have you tap the brake to keep it down.

you truly have brake control when you can slow wheelies down from like 40 to like 5....

if you are not at or near balance point then you have no idea of brake control.

but keep riding.... you will have a eureka moment when you hit the floating feeling of balance point....then go like 10 degrees farther back and you truly are at balance point....hahaha
I love the "eureka moment"...
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 AM

wfooffroad is a decent person

I have another question:

I am on a 07 GSXR 1000 and have trouble with power wheelies, I can get the front end up but dont feel comfortable sitting down. So i try to stand up and do a power wheelie but it just feels awkward. With the power wheelies i dont feel like i have enough control over the bike so i am trying to clutch it up, and for whatever reason i cant clutch it up. I keep trying in first and second gears. I accelerate little grab clutch and throttle and let out the clutch but the bike just goes, It launches hard with no front wheel love.

I like to think i can ride okay, i can run it to red line in the first 3 gears getting on the freeway and be at 120 before i know it. I have been stupid and almost been tossed at 140. Im riding the edge of my rear tire in the corners hanging off the bike getting as close to the ground as i can ( but i have short legs and just cant quite reach).

Whats the best wheelie to learn first? or is it all preference between stand up and sit down.

Is 30psi in the rear tire okay for canyon riding and wheelies or even for long trip riding?

Is there a trick for clutching a wheelie?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wfooffroad
I have another question:

I am on a 07 GSXR 1000 and have trouble with power wheelies, I can get the front end up but dont feel comfortable sitting down. So i try to stand up and do a power wheelie but it just feels awkward. With the power wheelies i dont feel like i have enough control over the bike so i am trying to clutch it up, and for whatever reason i cant clutch it up. I keep trying in first and second gears. I accelerate little grab clutch and throttle and let out the clutch but the bike just goes, It launches hard with no front wheel love.

I like to think i can ride okay, i can run it to red line in the first 3 gears getting on the freeway and be at 120 before i know it. I have been stupid and almost been tossed at 140. Im riding the edge of my rear tire in the corners hanging off the bike getting as close to the ground as i can ( but i have short legs and just cant quite reach).

Whats the best wheelie to learn first? or is it all preference between stand up and sit down.

Is 30psi in the rear tire okay for canyon riding and wheelies or even for long trip riding?

Thanks for any help!
learn both, sitting and staggered. never do a power wheelie ever again. theres no trick for clutching just do it, its the same way you do a burnout in a car with a manul transmission. 30psi is fine for all around riding on the streets, alot of racers will use 30 front 30 rear. if youre a real heavy guy id go with a little more.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 AM

HallFace929 is a decent person

Originally Posted by 287ridah
Try both. Sitdowns were more comfortable for me, but others like standups.
+1 i felt better sitting while getting used to the feeling of the wheel coming off the ground but after a while went to standing and like it better know.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 AM

ebinmoothedam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuntman29
dont shift

stand staggered

find balance point

learn brake control

learn circles

become a stunt legend

its that easy.......
Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 AM

jamiedubs is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first clicked on this thread I thought there would be people bagging on eachother. But damn this turned out to be a great thread and a lot of info given out Good Job.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

when you are first learnin standups you are gonna wanna bounce the front end prior to wheelies, this will help you get it up faster and smoother.

try starting here- stand up, right foot front peg(covering the brake), left foot rear peg, bounce the front whole end a couple times to get comfortable with it, then(on like the third bounce) clutch in on the bottom of the (fork)downstroke and throttle and release clutch on the upstroke(all in one fluid motion). the kind of clutch action your looking for here is a fluid one. fyi-your not looking to totally depress your clutch lever, just a flick(with a little throttle input) will do. just take it one step at a time and you should be fine.

also, the answer to your question- standup or sitdown? don't try to gain bp in a sitdown until you got bp on standup on lock. sitdowns are way easier to loop.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM

samurai87 is a decent person

Originally Posted by punchit
so lets just say your doin a ss with your left foot on passenger peg. That left leg should be straight and not bent right? I have never realy noticed
SS is Seat Stander.... jus FYI!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM

c_jake9 is a decent person

Sell whichever of the two bikes you like least and get a stunt bike and some gear. I could do sit downs on my R1 but not standups, then I bought a cbr 600, put a sprocket on it and could do stand-ups in less than an hour. It is cake doing it staggered.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 AM

Well i'm a little guy, so ill go down to 30psi rear and give that a try for tire pressure. Ill go staggered and just play with the clutch and compress the forks tomorrow when i'm on the bike and see where that takes me! Hopefully it will take me up.
Thanks to all for the advice and ill let you know how it works out
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 AM

Well i'm a little guy, so ill go down to 30psi rear and give that a try for tire pressure. Ill go staggered and just play with the clutch and compress the forks tomorrow when i'm on the bike and see where that takes me! Hopefully it will take me up.
Thanks to all for the advice and ill let you know how it works out:YEAH
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 PM

kjtw73 is a decent person

I have another question:

Thanks for any help!
For clutching up, I had myself one of those eureka moments one day. I had read and read about how to do clutch ups and could never grasp the concept. I could rock the power wheelie each time I tried, but the clutcher was givin me issues. Then, one day I remembered reading somewhere to just use one finger on the clutch. This didn't make much sense to me at the time, but now it does. By using only one finger on the clutch, this puts your other fingers behind the clutch lever, essentially making a stop for the lever and that is all the clutch you need. After that, you just have to work on timing between clutch pull and opening the throttle. Give it a little more throttle each time and eventually, you will have the front wheel in the air.

I am sure there is someone that can expand on this and even describe it better, but that is how I learned a clutch up...
Old 04-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice

doesnt anybody do 1st gear standup throttle wheelies on the front pegs anymore
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Okay, so i was on my bike this morning playing with the clutch and throttle, Should i be afraid of giving it too much gas? I still havent been getting the front tire up but i am using 2 fingers on the clutch. I try to do a wheelie at around 5000 rpm in first and have been bringing the rpms up to between 6000 and 7000. Do i need to start at a lower rpm or is that a good range?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by -Mike W.-
so wut would everyone here recommend to start? staggerd stand ups or sitting.
i hate to be the one to tell you this but, theres no hope for you, you will always suck, id recommend selling your bike.
Originally Posted by skillz
doesnt anybody do 1st gear standup throttle wheelies on the front pegs anymore
SIU 1 for life!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Should i be afraid of giving it too much gas?
only if you have a vagina between your legs
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

did you try bouncin the front end before clutch up like i suggested?

Quick Reply: the noob wheeile fear