"friend" blew MY 954 motor HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM

cbaquol is a decent person
"friend" blew MY 954 motor HELP

alright heres the situation. no more than a month and a half ago i got a 03 954 clean title, perfect condition with 4500 miles on it for 5grand. ive never had any problems with it what so ever, i check the oil almost daily and keep it in my kitchen when im not riding it. without mentioning names, heres what happened. me and my buddy rode to my other friends house earlier today to chill and watch tv or whatever, so we are there and my other friend sings his sad story about how his bike has been in the shop for 2 weeks and hasnt been able to ride blah blah blah and wants to take my **** out for a few mins. i told him no damn near 20 times and he made me an offer that was hard to refuse so i said **** it and told him if he wrecks it, or gets it impounded or anything happens he is 100% responsible and he agreed no questions asked. so he takes my bike out and the kid that rode to his house with me went on his bike aswell. they are gone for no more than 10 minutes and i figure ****, i might as well call them just to see if they pick up the phone, and they did. i called the kids phone who i was with originally with, and the kid on my bike picks it up. then he goes on to tell me that he is on the side of the road because the 954 started making knocking sounds and smoke started coming out the exhaust and then it shut off and he cant get it started again. i was like WTF your funny, and he said he wasnt kidding so i hung up on him. i then went to the outside porch to smoke a cig and to just wait for the 2 bikes to roll up back into the apt complex. but insted, 10 minutes later a pickup truck rolls up with my ******* bike in the back. at this point i was ready to rip this ******* kids head off. and remember i have honestly never had a single issue with this bike, it WAS almost in factory condition. i start flipping out on the kid and he was like im sorry im sorry i will pay for it i just need time im sorry. but at the time i am still furious at this ****** and dont pay much attention. he was definitly doing wheelies and ******* around no doubt, the dude that rode his bike over to this dudes house was riding behind him when this happened and he told me yeah he was ****** around. now, a little later into the night, i think about it more and i realize the kid really was sorry and **** but still i definitly believe in the "you break it you buy it" rule. so i guess i am asking 2 things from everyone. first of all, obviously insurance doesnt cover a blown motor, i go to school fulltime on my own and dont have more than 100$ saved up at a time, and my parents would laugh in my face if i even mentioned getting help from them. so they way i see it is that i should make the kid pay for whatever damages are done to my motor after getting it checked out at a honda dealer or wherever. there is no holes in the block and no leaks so its probably seized and could possibly be fixed with pistons, boreing it out and all that ****. should i make him pay for this ****? remember i never once had a single issue with this bike my self and im not getting a real straight story as to the entire picture from the kid riding it or the dude riding behind him so that seems a little sketchy to me. it seems to me like my only option is to have him pay for it, even though half of me feels bad and half of me wants to kill him. the second thing im asking for is when i do get the financial side taken care of, and if the motor is completly fried, can i even get another 03 954 motor? if i can, from where ? and if not, would a 1000rr motor work? or what other options should i consider doing also i live in west tampa florida so if anyone knows a good place to take it, or has any connections in the area or within like an hours drive please help me out. i appreciate everyones help in advance, i am in a real tight spot and need this taken care of asap!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:17 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: "friend" blew MY 954 motor HELP

a 954 motor is the only motor that will fit in there as the motor is connected to the swingarm unline the 1000rr which swingarm connects to the frame. 929 i dont think works either for some reason i read. i dont see how a bikes engine would blow from riding it down the street poppin some wheelies....idk. my friends 954 engine blew on him for no reason and it was minty as **** with 6k miles on it. sometimes the bikes just have a bad engine and its just a matter of time so its hard to say how much your friend is at fault for what happend.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 PM

what do you think the chances of me finding a decent if not new motor for that bike, if it ends up needing to be replaced completly rather than the parts to get her going again
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cbaquol
what do you think the chances of me finding a decent if not new motor for that bike, if it ends up needing to be replaced completly rather than the parts to get her going again
im sure u can find one, ebay or salvage bike place on here stuntusa, cbrforums. wreckedbikes.net, theres a ton of places to look
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 PM

thanks man, and yo do u still have that 600rr, if this **** dont work out i might be back in the market
Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Timmy P is a decent person

ebay motors are cheap as hell.. dont know about your motor but I could find a low miles motor for under 700 . its not the end of the world kid. It does seem a little crazy that it just blew riding it down the street with low miles. Do 954's have oil starvation problems?.. mabe you should just scrap it.. but before you do send me your front end.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbaquol
thanks man, and yo do u still have that 600rr, if this **** dont work out i might be back in the market
nah i sold the rr a bit ago. the last honda ill ever **** with, im back on a 636 for good.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Hobie is an unknown quantity at this point

Swapping the motor out with one from a salvage shop, private owner, ebay, etc. would be the better/easier way to go.

Here is one I found on a quick search.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...spagenameZWDVW

A rebuilt motor is so hit and miss. It will only be as good as the person/shop who builds it. If you go that route, find out what shop is the most popular that freshens the local road racers motors and get an estimate from them. Keep in mind this price could vary depending on the damage that's really there when the motor is taken apart.

Don't be intimidated by turning the wrenches yourself if you decide to swap it with a used motor. Basic swapping of parts is pretty easy. Get a manual, take your time, STAY ORGANIZED and take pictures when you tear it down. Take lots of pictures, put nuts/bolts in bags, label as many bolts as you can with a sharpie, label the bags too. It really won't be hard.

As far as payment, the way I see it, he's responsible for what happens to it while it's in his possession.

If he doesn't have the cash, set up a paypal account. Tell him to pay you with a credit card. If he doesn't have enough credit left on one card or doesn't have one at all, get him to sign up for some credit cards online. It's not your fault he blew your bike up. Be a salesman, talk him into it!

I don't see why this would keep the bike from running, but it's a possibility, I saw more than a few 954s that blew a spark-plug out of the head. What happens is they back out of the threads a bit, then the compression blasts them the rest of the way out. Usually this can be fixed fairly cheaply, but I really doubt it's your problem.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 AM

c_jake9 is a decent person

The only way to seize a motor in 10 mins if it was well cared for like you said would be to drain the oil or coolant and ride it till it seizes. If you would have been riding it, it would have seized on you. You're friend should have been watching the guages though. Moral of the story, don't borrow stuff!!! That is your friends mistake. As for you, with friends like that, who needs enemies.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

I hate to break it to you but;
1. your an idiot
2. dont loan your minty bike to "some kid"
3. that motor was going to blow anyway(unless for some reason that kid hates you and poured sand in the oil fill or something)
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM

rider955i is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't think you are getting the whole story i am willing to bet he was being a retard and you already know he was ripping wheelies. I wouldn't doubt it if he was thinking awe its not my bike lets bounce this thing off the rev limiter. While hitting the limiter it quit working and he was like awe ****! Ask yourself what you would do in his situation. I know I would try to get out of paying for it if I could depends on how good of a friend it is.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 AM

EnderWiggin is an unknown quantity at this point

**** that kids car up.

Sugar+gas.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rider955i
If you don't think you are getting the whole story i am willing to bet he was being a retard and you already know he was ripping wheelies. I wouldn't doubt it if he was thinking awe its not my bike lets bounce this thing off the rev limiter. While hitting the limiter it quit working and he was like awe ****! Ask yourself what you would do in his situation. I know I would try to get out of paying for it if I could depends on how good of a friend it is.
even bouncing it off the limiter for a minute wouldnt blow a good motor
Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt that kid could do wheelie that would hurt 954 engine. rev limiter maybe. still unlikely.

some 954 engines, specially 2003 have developed crack in the engine casing, this causes it to mix coolant to oil. It's a casting flaw in the engine block. sometimes it can leak coolant below. In europe Honda has replaced these engines free of charge. Check is there coolant in the oil.

Also drain the oil and see is there metal flakes in the oil. You can also remove the filter and press the flowback valve and see what **** the filter has gathered. flowback valve is at the edges of the filter, press those holes with screw driver and let the oil drain out from the removed filter, this brings out flakes and stuff the filter has collected.

It was unclear does the engine still run? could it be cam chain tensioner or something like that. Ask someone who knows to listen to the engine if it runs.

And: I would never let someone drive my bike unless I know the guy and if he has a bike that I can drive. So we can swap bikes and drive together. that is only way to know what happens.

Last edited by Jaket; 03-30-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

good luck getting reimbursed. that ***** gonna take a year and a half before you get your money.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
good luck getting reimbursed. that ***** gonna take a year and a half before you get your money.

If ever
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM

seprowling52271 is a decent person

Man that really sucks. I learned the hard way from a similar incident when I was your age. I let a friend borrow my bike and you guessed it. It was brought back blown up. The moral of the story If Ben Franklin had motorcycles back in his day He would have said this. Motorcycles and money........neither a borrower nor lender be.
I would check around places that sell wrecked bikes and on craigslist for used engines if you cannot fix whats wrong with your engine for a reasonable price.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point

My 954 is Bullet Proof!!! 2002.....Mr. Jacket has very valid points!

Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM

CarpeDiem is an unknown quantity at this point

If motors blew after 10min of abuse, there would be no stuntlife.com :

Shitty deal though with the motor, I hope my time doesn't come soon since I have a gixxer. haha.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM

thanks for the input, and to be honest, once i got the bike back to my house and in my garage i tried to start it, and after a few seconds of turning over it started for a second then cut out. ive decided that i am def makin this kid pay for the damages im taking the bike to a shop on monday to get it checked out and asses the damages. if anyone has any reccomendations as to where i should take it please let me know. and i am def gonna check around for a motor if it ends up needed to be replaced, if anyone else finds one post it up!!! thanks

Quick Reply: "friend" blew MY 954 motor HELP