Another Brembo Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Brembo Question.

Ok, so hand brake setup I have is the Brembo 16x18 going to it's own caliper on the HoHey adapter.

I'm using my middle finger on the HB. (9 clicks out) With where my HB is on my bars, if I were to use my ring finger instead of my middle finger, I'd be at the end of the lever... So I'm like 1 finger in from the end just using my middle finger.

So before I get back to using a HB again, I wanted to do some testing, and comparisons. This is what I got.

Long run up, to about 32mph, then put into neutral for braking - starting at the same spot going to a dead stop.

30mph - rear foot brake - average distance 60-70'
30mph - HB - average distance 70-90'
30mph - front brake - average distance 25'

Now I could lock up the foot brake at a multiple of speeds, from 30 on down to 0. It didn't take too much effort to do so.

But I was only able to lock up the HB a couple of times, and that was near 5-10mph. It was pretty hard to do so, and I could NOT lock it up on demand.

Now if I added my ring finger to the HB, I could take off about 10' on my stopping distance, and it was a bit easier to lock the rear up.

So. Is this about what I should be looking at? The HB has a bit of "feel" to it, but I'm pretty positive there's no air in the line. With a single finger, I can't pull the lever all the way into my other fingers... but I'm kinda wishing I was stronger lol.

OK, my main question I guess:
Should I be able to lock up the rear with the HB? Or does my test sound about right...

Thanks.

- Pixel -
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future
Re: Another Brembo Question.

Originally Posted by pixel 6
OK, my main question I guess:
Should I be able to lock up the rear with the HB? Or does my test sound about right...

Thanks.

- Pixel -
Sounds like you answered yourself

Now if I added my ring finger to the HB, I could take off about 10' on my stopping distance, and it was a bit easier to lock the rear up.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

ummm. u should be able to lock it up with one finger. make sure u bled it with the mastercylinder in the regular unflipped position. meaning the bleeder should be pointint up. if ur running dual caliper then when u bleed the other caliper also make sure that the bleeder is pointing straight up in the position that the stock caliper points. of course ur front brake will lock up very easily as its 8 pistons on 2 huge rotors compared to one piston on a small rotor. also make sure u have some fresh stock pads and that your rotor is not beat. honda has some of the best brakes ever and i had a 16x18 with dual caliper on my 600rr and it was no problem to lock up one finger.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM

JohnR is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same setup and i have the same problem! I have bled the brembo about 10 times and tried every different way people have suggested. I dont get it either...lol
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Just looked at my calipers again... The caliper I setup on my Brembo has those stupid HH pads that I hated from my last setup.

I'll go pick up some stock pads tomorrow.

And thanks for the bleeding tip. I'll double check the line tomorrow with the bleeders facing up.

- Pixel -
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

ur bike looks thick man!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM

Cincykillz is a decent person

i think you can actually switch the bleeder and banjo on the brembos and didnt see this in what you said but do you have your master on the left or right of your clutch?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gixxerdwn2
i think you can actually switch the bleeder and banjo on the brembos and didnt see this in what you said but do you have your master on the left or right of your clutch?
I looked at doing that... switching the bleeder and banjo, but decided the routing for everything on the stock setup was best left normal.

My master is to the left of the clutch. I know I'm losing a bit of mechanical advantage with it this way, but couldn't find a good way to get everything to work with em flip-flopped.

Again, If I were to use middle and ring finger on the lever, my ring finger would be up against the ball at the end of the lever... so my middle finger that I'm using for the brake is about 1 finger width towards the center of the lever.

I spent a several hours / multiple times playing around with switching the brake and clutch sides... even put my old super shorty 1 finger clutch lever on and got it all mocked up. But could never get everything perfect with the clutch on the left.

- Pixel -
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at doing that... switching the bleeder and banjo, but decided the routing for everything on the stock setup was best left normal.

My master is to the left of the clutch. I know I'm losing a bit of mechanical advantage with it this way, but couldn't find a good way to get everything to work with em flip-flopped.

Again, If I were to use middle and ring finger on the lever, my ring finger would be up against the ball at the end of the lever... so my middle finger that I'm using for the brake is about 1 finger width towards the center of the lever.

I spent a several hours / multiple times playing around with switching the brake and clutch sides... even put my old super shorty 1 finger clutch lever on and got it all mocked up. But could never get everything perfect with the clutch on the left.

- Pixel -
just take the turn\high beam switch off. you'll have plenty of room
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lee majors
just take the turn\high beam switch off. you'll have plenty of room
+1

Take that thing off and put the HB on the inside... you want your finger against that ball on the end of the lever.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM

JohnR is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked at my calipers again... The caliper I setup on my Brembo has those stupid HH pads that I hated from my last setup.

I'll go pick up some stock pads tomorrow.

And thanks for the bleeding tip. I'll double check the line tomorrow with the bleeders facing up.

- Pixel -
do you really think having stock pads will make a big difference????
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
kj

Originally Posted by JohnR
do you really think having stock pads will make a big difference????
Stock pads are good... but they won't bite any harder than aftermarket HH or sintered pads.

Stockers are Nissin HH's btw.... so are OEM Honda fronts.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
kj

When you change your pads... do this:

Hose down the rotor w/ some brake cleaner (both sides)... then let it dry and take a red 3m scuff pad or some 100 grit paper and scuff up the rotor in a circular pattern.... just a bit, you don't need to do too much.

Then hose it off once more w/ the brake cleaner.

Then replace the pads being very careful not to get any grease/oil/fluid etc on the rotor or pads.... I don't even like to touch my rotors w/ bare hands, so no oil gets on em. (I have a touch of OCD).

This will make a big difference.... trust me, I've had some glazed pads and also ones that had just a bit of brake fluid get on them and it makes them suck ***.... once you clean that **** up it'll work alot better.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM

cntrld*insanity is an unknown quantity at this point

Here I go again..... I have the answer to the whole problem. I had a Brembo 16/18 on mine. Then switched to a Magura It has way more feel and Power than the Brembo. If you want one PM Me I can hook you up. You can lock up the rear on stock pads no prob... All day long!