how to fix 636 heat issues?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about
how to fix 636 heat issues?!

So had the tabs on my radiator welded the other day and flushed the rad put in water wetter and coolant. got the fan goin all the time(coolant temp sensor unhooked). What else do i need to do to make this thing stop overheating? I live in FLA and its not even smoldering summer yet and it was overflowing during our show this weekend! Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM

chadnine is a decent person
Re: how to fix 636 heat issues?!

hope the heads not warped or head gaskets blown. that fiixed my buddys 636
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chadnine
hope the heads not warped or head gaskets blown. that fiixed my buddys 636
+1

Have you tested your thermostat?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

no..no ihavent.. i've pretty much just been ridin it. but i gotta tear one of the forks off for seals so ill get a new thermostat then and check for any leaks/cracks around the heads..nething else to look for?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! its NOT the radiator check thermostat or waterpump
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 AM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

You can test the thermostat if you dont want to just buy a new one. It could save you couple bucks
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

do you have your overflow bottle hooked up ?

kawis will over heat with out the over flow bottle.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

guarantee you its the water pump
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
guarantee you its the water pump
i don't see how the water pump could ever wear out on these , the seal maybe but the pump is just an impeller that doesn't rub on any thing so i don't see how they wear out ...i know they do but i don't know how
Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

the one on my gixxer went out on me. i agree i dont understand how they wear out but they do. probably the bearings.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
the one on my gixxer went out on me. i agree i dont understand how they wear out but they do. probably the bearings.
the 636 doesn't have bearing it just has a couple mechanical seals and a regular seal and if those go bad it will still pump water but it will leak out the seap hole to let you know the seals are bad , if you let it go too long it will leak into your oil ......

this is on a 636 any way
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by old man roger
do you have your overflow bottle hooked up ?

kawis will over heat with out the over flow bottle.
Why would that cause it to overheat? Funny thing is my bike probably runs the shittiest but it has hardly ever overheated much.. Even in the 110 heat.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by T-Dubby
Why would that cause it to overheat? Funny thing is my bike probably runs the shittiest but it has hardly ever overheated much.. Even in the 110 heat.
it will cause it to over heat because the radiator is just big enough to keep the bike cool when it is full ..

when you are lets say doing a big long *** burn out the temp goes up and the coolant expands and is force out of the radiator into the over flow then once you stop doing a burn out the temp goes back down and the coolant that was forced into the over flow is returned to the radiator ..

if the coolant that was displaced from the burn out can't be retreived then your radiator will no longer be full and will not be able to properly cool the bike...
Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by old man roger
it will cause it to over heat because the radiator is just big enough to keep the bike cool when it is full ..

when you are lets say doing a big long *** burn out the temp goes up and the coolant expands and is force out of the radiator into the over flow then once you stop doing a burn out the temp goes back down and the coolant that was forced into the over flow is returned to the radiator ..

if the coolant that was displaced from the burn out can't be retreived then your radiator will no longer be full and will not be able to properly cool the bike...
Gotcha makes sense..Thanks. Yeah I don't think I have that on mine..
Old 03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

I had 2 03's and never had a overheating issue
Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by -SKETCHY-
I had 2 03's and never had a overheating issue
me either and i live in south florida
Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Brap

Sadim and Zacky Chan had problems with theirs.. Actually sadims still does I think.. Chan I think he fixed his by replacing the thermostat.. Sadim switched that and still has problems..
Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM

siknotch89 is a decent person

Get a honda and ...bam! problem fixed!
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person

ive got a mellon too.

so far ive..

replaced coolant with water wetter & hard wired the fan. i bought another fan to hardwire up and am replacing the thermostat today!

will shee how it runs tomorrow!

i hear the 05 has a bigger radiator...is this true? i bout ready to start searching for a 05 motor and radiator to put in this bitch! if that fails, im going to start looking for a 600rr
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Just had a buddy's that had that overheating problem . Everything checked out good. Turned out the head gasket was slightly blown out and the head was warped from the overheating. I got him a headgasket and he took the head to the machine shop and its good to go now.

Quick Reply: how to fix 636 heat issues?!