how to fix 636 heat issues?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person
Re: how to fix 636 heat issues?!

05's have a bigger radiator than the 03-04's yes......joey b had a problem with his overheating and he just bought a brand new radiator and i think it solved the problem....once you overheat a radiator too many times i think the passage ways shrink or something and the water doesn't flow as good.....also, coolant cools a motor better than just water.....from my experience anyways.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

All my 03/04's run hot, but never overheat....They just run hot and Ive learned to just live with it....
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM

FOUNTAIN is a decent person

why dont you just ride your f4i you fagot, i swear james everytime i hear you talk its bitching
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crazyasscracker
why dont you just ride your f4i you fagot, i swear james everytime i hear you talk its bitching
f4i is weaksauce. u should kno thats y u keep askin to buy my kawi!

o me bitchin huh? right and ur not a navy geyser..
Old 03-11-2008, 06:38 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

You unhooked the coolant temp sensor? Is that located near the end of the throttle bodies on the 636? And doesn't that cause the bike to run on an open loop system? or is that the same as the fan just being on all the time.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

all i kno is it makes the fan come on all the time. it wont start cold but once its runnin thats how i have been keeping the heat down.. hardwiring the fan this weekend just havent had the time
Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM

tm13_ is a decent person

Originally Posted by crazyasscracker

wtf, since when did you become a contributor? you broke *** bitch!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM

metal hed is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is nothing mechanically wrong with it try runnin some header wrap that they use on racecars. You can get it for $45. I did my F4I this winter and I can tell it's helping some, but I won't know how much for sure until summer.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

a little trick on hard wiring the fan on the 03 04 636 , leave the sending unit hooked up and just put a switch in between the two wires that way if you ever forget to turn the fan on it will switch on like normal but you will have the option of flipping the switch and having it run all the time....
Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 AM

Nellie636 is a decent person

actually water is just as good as coolant, coolant is an antifreeze using a water base, if you ever notice water is the only thing that can mix with coolant. if your bike is spewing water out the overflow its more then likely the thermost is stuck closed. i had that problem on my 05 at about 20k miles and i just gutted the thermostat and left the housing in their for some sort of restriction (instead of a completely open hole)

and im not sure about the open loop thing... in a car yes leaving that unhooked will keep your car in open loop (resulting in pore performance and shitty gas mileage) not sure if a bike computer is the same

id hook the sensor back up if i was u and just add another fan by wiring it in line with the stock

Last edited by Nellie636; 03-12-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 AM
StarBoyz Rider

StarBoyKevin is an unknown quantity at this point

i had one that did tried everything. guarentee its the radiator. replace it.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM

douggiefresh is a decent person

so have the same problem with my 05 i ever took the thermostat out tested it is still good and still over heats then i tried it with out it ans still does it i might just buy a new ratiator and see it that works?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

with no thermostat at all it will likely over heat unless your going 60mph ,the thermostat keeps the coolant in the radiator long enough for it to cool ..

with no thermostat at all the coolant travels in and out of the radiator too fast to cool.....
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CRAZY DAN
ive got a mellon too.

so far ive..

replaced coolant with water wetter & hard wired the fan. i bought another fan to hardwire up and am replacing the thermostat today!

will shee how it runs tomorrow!

i hear the 05 has a bigger radiator...is this true? i bout ready to start searching for a 05 motor and radiator to put in this bitch! if that fails, im going to start looking for a 600rr
Dan,

Thought you have an 05???
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM

douggiefresh is a decent person

i didn't know that i was told different my thermo i works fine tested it but still over heats with it in so i dont think it the thermo

should try a new radiator or full pump next ?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by old man roger
with no thermostat at all it will likely over heat unless your going 60mph ,the thermostat keeps the coolant in the radiator long enough for it to cool ..

with no thermostat at all the coolant travels in and out of the radiator too fast to cool.....
when the bike is scorching hot the thermostat is fully open and the coolant runs through the radiator at whatever speed the water pump is capable of pushing it. the only time it has an effect on keeping the fluid in the radiator is when the motor is lets say below 180 degrees, and the thermostat is shut. it doesnt hold the fluid in the radiator causing it to be 170 degrees while the motor is 200 degrees, and then wham! open up. its normally just a little wax pellet with a spring and once the wax heats up it melts and allows the thermostat to open.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

you can always fix the overheating issue with a F4I
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
when the bike is scorching hot the thermostat is fully open and the coolant runs through the radiator at whatever speed the water pump is capable of pushing it. the only time it has an effect on keeping the fluid in the radiator is when the motor is lets say below 180 degrees, and the thermostat is shut. it doesnt hold the fluid in the radiator causing it to be 170 degrees while the motor is 200 degrees, and then wham! open up. its normally just a little wax pellet with a spring and once the wax heats up it melts and allows the thermostat to open.

even when the thermostat is wide open it restricts flow quite a bit and like you said it isn't all the way open then all the way shut it is some times half way open ....

no thermostat at all can cause your bike to over heat , specially when your idle is cranked up and your just doing slow twelves or burnouts...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Weird.. hope this guy gets it fixed.. Apparently everyone hates my bike for some reason.. Funny dirty can't even catch idle on my bike lol
Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
J Blox

so fan and thermostat?

Quick Reply: how to fix 636 heat issues?!