FI 0 Degree critisism/review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 AM

Kliewer is an unknown quantity at this point
FI 0 Degree critisism/review.

I got a set of FI clip on's for my 636. I'm having some real issues with them quality wise. I'm pretty sure they shipped me some 52mm instead of 50mm because they go on real loose and even tightened down to the max there is still a gap between the clip on and the fork tube.. causing it to twist if I crash or even if I just pull on the bar hard enough. The left bar also likes to wobble. When I say this I mean if I pull up the clip on "cracks" and tilts up.. and I can do the same when pushing it down.

On top of that I've ridden this bike for three sessions and already bent down both clip on's from regular drops.

If it helps I'm running them with the triple flipped.. so about 1/4 or so of the clip on is above the fork tube. I don't think it's an issue though, my stock 636 clip on's were like that and held up fine.

I guess I'm fucked since I already fucked em up and can't send them back... could possibly try shimming them with something and do it up ghetto.

Just curious to see if anybody else has had similar experiences?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough
Re: FI 0 Degree critisism/review.

sounds like danger 2 me, they gotta be the wrong size! sell em or try puttin some griptape on the forktubes and prying the clipons apart and putting em on! that should be better than what you got
Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kliewer
On top of that I've ridden this bike for three sessions and already bent down both clip on's from regular drops.
I had similar experience w/ the FI tubes..... they will bend pretty darn easy if you have them extended long... and that's just from stalling out and comming down w/ all my weight on my arms.

Couldn't tell ya how much $$ i spent on replacement bars, until I got smart and went to convertibars... stainless tube dosen't bend very easily.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:33 AM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced the shitty bars in my clipons with 7/8" solid round aluminum stock. works great. And no, they haven't bent anything else....althought they DID bend when I looped a coaster and my bike cartwheeled at 50-60 or so. Replaced that one bar and went on!

Not sure whats up with em not fitting on the fork tube tho.....thats not cool and not safe!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 AM

Kliewer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I thought about replacing them with 7/8 stock.. thanks

I'll probably try to shim the clip on's... probably put maybe some 3m metal tape on the forks?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

call em up anyway
Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 AM

da Liks is a decent person

no way thats just tooo ghetto! have m send you the right size, **** it!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM

PBR4life420 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking for a pair of clip ons for my F4i....I was wondering should i just stay stock or should i get a pair of FI's or what??
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

no problems here....

sounds shitty to me... and yea, YIKES..... not safe at all.

Mine slid around at first and then I just noticed that I forgot to torque them down enough!

And I need some bar stock too for mine....+1 on that **** and the bendy bars....
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Threadjack!!!! Which are the strongest of the 3 for F4i?? FI, Vortex or woodcraft? I was gonna try some clipons before I go DB. Still looking for a used DB bar setup too. WOW, double threadjack.

Also I have a headache. Tripple Treadjack :YEAH:YEAH:YEAH
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

just take a small file to the inside pinch point.so when you tighten them they can squeeze closer together.clipons are clipons.the only real weak point is the bars. round stock fixes the problem though as already said
Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

So none of them have issues with the clamps really, just the bars? Ive seen some pics of the clamp parts coming apart? I think Im going DB next anyway but might try aftermarket clips on the streeter
Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM

PeterNoggin is a decent person

Originally Posted by da Liks
no way thats just tooo ghetto! have m send you the right size, **** it!

+1
Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Standupnfall
So none of them have issues with the clamps really, just the bars? Ive seen some pics of the clamp parts coming apart? I think Im going DB next anyway but might try aftermarket clips on the streeter
eh....depends on hoe you mount em....I had Woodcraft clipons and didnt like em too well for one reason. A lil trick for endoes is to raise your front end and have your forks sunk down about 1/8-1/4" down into the clipons on top the triple. Well, the two piece design somehow kept letting the clipons slid up and eventually almost off of the forks if I didnt watch it closely enough. I swapped em out with Vortex and never looked back.

I would like some of the NEW Vortex clipons that have the slimmer mounting area, then mate that with a new HoHey triple clamp so I could raise the front end a bit more and have the clipons mounted flush to be right about the same height as a stock F4i or possibly slightly taller.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 PM

gixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to beholdgixxer601 is a splendid one to behold

i run the older style vortex clamps and havent had any problems with the bars bending on them. the clamps are big though, id like to get a set of the newer clamps.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM

the vortex bars are strong!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kj
I had similar experience w/ the FI tubes..... they will bend pretty darn easy if you have them extended long... and that's just from stalling out and comming down w/ all my weight on my arms.

Couldn't tell ya how much $$ i spent on replacement bars, until I got smart and went to convertibars... stainless tube dosen't bend very easily.

convertibars? eeeek! i hate them things. they look like a gimmic. i like the lsl, but there bouque' bucks.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM

you mean beaucoup?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lee majors
convertibars? eeeek! i hate them things. they look like a gimmic.
Really? Have you tried them?
it's not the fully adjustable one on their front page.... they're fixed, welded 0 degree stainless tubes that have held up to some nast abuse over the last few sessions.

they still have adjustable rise and pull back (due to the vertical tube mounting)... so they're the only thing that will work turned out WIDE w/ full fairing.

and did I mention they're ******* amazing for endos?
Name:  Catpics001.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kj
Really? Have you tried them?
it's not the fully adjustable one on their front page.... they're fixed, welded 0 degree stainless tubes that have held up to some nast abuse over the last few sessions.

they still have adjustable rise and pull back (due to the vertical tube mounting)... so they're the only thing that will work turned out WIDE w/ full fairing.

and did I mention they're ******* amazing for endos?
yeah, yeah those look pretty cool, i thought you you were talking about the telescoping ones. damn those are wide. how much$

Quick Reply: FI 0 Degree critisism/review.