Oil light on F4i...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Tiretrauma is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil light on F4i...HELP!!!

I am having a problem with my 02 F4i. After the bike runs for a while, the oil light comes on. There is pleanty of oil in the bike, so I am assuming that as it heats up the oil thins out and Im not getting pressure.

However, I spoke to Honda and they were very adimant about them never have seen an oil pump go bad.

Everything was fine on the bike until I changed the oil and put an adjustable cam chain tensioner and new clutch plates.

Any and all help is appreciated!!! Please help!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil light on F4i...HELP!!!

Ya I doubt the oil pump could really go bad, I pulled mine recently after 26k miles and it looks perfect, looks brand new..

Did you take the whole clutch assembly out? Or JUST the plates? If you took the whole assembly out, you might not have seated it properly into the oil pump sprocket

The only other things that can really go bad are your sensor (up top under the throttle bodies) or your pressure relief valve getting stuck open (in the oil pan)

btw you don't have a stuntex do you?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 PM

No stuntex...Ive heard horror stories with the f4is and them. I just dont get it as it was fine until I did everything. All I did with the clutch was just the plates.

Im wondering about the oil filter, if something could be in there...

this sucks!!!

Where are you in missouri? I am moving to Chesterfield in August...
Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 PM

THanks for the help Towilee, hit me up to let me know where your at in Missouri...

Where is Wheeliest or OMR when I need them???

Im going to replace the oil filter and see what happens...
Old 03-08-2008, 01:17 AM

Scott982 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
btw you don't have a stuntex do you?
The stuntex pickup works great unless it's installed wrong.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person

u mite have clutch shavings in the oil somewhere and maybe they got caught in the oil pickup filter? (it's a got a little filter screen)

did you leave any tools or washers in behind the rs engine cover when you were changing the clutch? it happens.

wait 4 some more replies.

if u don't find any easier solutions, pop open the oil pan, and clean out the oil pickup with carb cleaner.

also, you might have to replace the oil pickup o-ring once you open it. dry it and see if there is any cracks in the rubber.

good luck.

Last edited by DirtyToes; 03-08-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G-Town Scooter
The stuntex pickup works great unless it's installed wrong.
I dunno if thats why I lost pressure, but I lost pressure 100 miles after installing it.

And I reinstalled it 3 times.

Not only that, but since I had problems, I've heard from 2 other people that also lost pressure with a stuntex on a f4i..

So I just ditched it.. waste of $80 and a big headache on a f4i IMO

I'd defintily change your oil filter. The ONLY things that IMO could have stopped my bike from getting pressure, are my stuntex, or my oil pickup (only things I removed from teh bike to get pressure)

If you have access to a oil pressure tester, there is a oil pressure hookup on the right side clutch cover.. I'd hook up a tester to that and see what happens when your oil light comes on..

Also, for your oil light to come ON, it needs a ground signal.. So if your connection was bad, it would show that you DO have pressure, so it can't be a wire problem.

Also I dunno, but maybe when your pressure sensor gets hot, it quits working

Also its POSSIBLE your pickup got clogged, but really, it would take a LOT of gunk to clog it (like a handfull of metal shavings lol)

The pickup is like 3 inches around of pickup area, and has like a window screen inside it to filter, mine was clean as a whistle after 26,000 miles

oh ya i'm from St. Joseph, about 30-45 minutes north of KC
Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Ok, I did the work and found the problem! Figured I would update so others could use this for reference.

After finaly getting a real oil pressure reading, I found my bike was ok, but not great. Honda recomends 490kPa or 71psi @ 6000rpm after the bike is warmed to 176. I was below this but not by that much so I knew it wasnt the switch.

When I spoke to Honda techs and a plethora of others claiming to know Hondas, they said they have NEVER seen an oil pump go in any of there bikes. After seeing the pics and a used one, I can see why, there really isnt much to go on them. So they said drop the pan and I did.

I recommend this if you ever have to replace your clutch because the old clutch is probably where mine was...in the oil strainer. The strainer was so clogged I have no idea how anything made it through the screen. Old clutch pieces, a bunch of metal (were choosing to ignore that...lol) and some RTV from sealing the case back up...all stuck in the screen.

After blowing it out and cleaning the **** out of it, we are good as new and oil pressure is high! The one thing I did get was a new o-ring from the parts store for the pressure relief valve which you can check by pressing it to make sure the spring is working.

So here is a quick recap of diagnosing this and finaly fixing it!

Time spent - 8,0000,0000,0000 hrs
Kicked dog - 12 times
Beat girlfriend and her mom - 25 times
Blood loss - 2 pints
Beer drank - 4 cases
Oring - $2.25
Oil - $40.00 (Changed many times)
Filter - $7
RTV - left over from sealing up girlfriend's, girlfriend's mom and dog's cuts

Saving $800 on ebay engine...PRICELESSS!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM

When your clutch went, what happened?

Was it worn ALL the way to the metal and grinding? Or did it just slip?

My f4i has around 26-28k miles, and at 16k the clutch slipped SO bad I couldn't even get a wheelie up in 1st gear at 10k rpm..
AFter a couple weeks it quit slipping, and now I'm on the same cultch 10k later lol

But I had no clutch parts in the pickup.. I had NOTHIGN in the pickup.. only a few small shavings in teh oil pan (probably from my tranny)

Good you got it fixed though :YEAH
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

thanks for the write up. i may clean mine out just to do it cuz i have no gauges or oil light on my street fighter.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

my buddy had same problem on his 03 636 he was running gauges also and his light came on but if you dont run gauges you dont really have any way to know theres a problem

Last edited by 50slut; 03-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Ignorance is bliss for sure!! My boy had the same thing happen and mentioned the same thing. He said if I just would have stayed streetfighter I wouldve never known and kept on riding...

Seeing this now, I will probably do this every year just for the sake of doing it, guages or not. Something this easy and simple could cost me time off of the bike and $$$$$$.