Why did my engine blow up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
Why did my engine blow up?

... so, my engine blew up today on the way to Las Vegas.... I'M SORRY FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO GO THERE!!!!!!! I saw a few people pass me on the 15 that was on the way up there I'm sure! I wanted to go so bad... and f Friday the 13th just took me out quick!

I was on the onramp to the 15 from 78, accelerating, pulled in the clutch, gave some gas, the front wheel came up a little, bike came down, and I gave full gas..... then HELL broke loose. I heard a LOUD RATTLING noise from the engine.. I felt and saw smoke coming out and oil was dripping out of the engine. I pulled in the clutch in order to roll easier, with no difference .... stopped.. looked at the bike smoking and dripping oil!

..... kicking dirt and screaming out loud why God is not caring for me the slightest.... I stop and sitdown and wonder what the hell I'm gonna do! my cellphone doesn't work... So after 15 minutes or so of trying to get someone to stop... all ******** just kept going! nice people around here... even motorcyclists just kept going... They even honked and wave... Clueless I guess.

So ... eventually I went out on the field and jumped a fence into a little neighbourhood... evading dogs.. one on the right and one on the left. Both barking like mad at the stranger coming into their terroritory.. The dog to the rigth was funny though.. first looked like a chubby bear and was jumping like a sheep and was barking like it's barked too much. It barely had a voice.

So I kept going without looking at the dogs any more to try get them to calm down... i walk.... I see a UPS truck... My savior! I walk up to the UPS dude and ask him for a favor and favor is served, I get to use his cellphone to call my buddy. After some begging I get him to get off work and go home and pick up his truck and go to pick me up! Hella nice ! thanks nate!! Use the money I gave you for something nice! such as a nice Ikea mousepad. umh.. anyhow...
.. Went back to my bike! I turned my alarm ON though, just incase some ******* would pull over and start loading it up on the back of the truck. Would scare him a little atleast.

... so after killing about 12978109 ants on a tree with my crusty sun burnt stick my friend arrives after an hour or so! I can feel the sunburn on my face fuzzingly make heat waves pass through the skin. Yucky feeling!
....We load up the bike.. try to shift into neutral.. (which was kinda pointless.. after finding out what went wrong)...
With the bike on the truck we hauled it to a friend of mine. I started working on it right away and had it down to the engine and frame after 45 minutes. Too bad I couldn't drop the engine, a fricken heli-coil thingy is holding up the engine to the frame. So until I find a way of getting that thing out, the engine stays in the frame. But apart from that, it's ready to be dropped out of the frame and replaced with a new fresh engine (Used engine... of course).

So you wonder what the h*ll went wrong! First of all, I just changed clutch this week!.. like Monday or something. I was a bit worried at first about the clutch cuz I thought I was missing something as I put it back together. I tried the clutch out by starting up the engine and it worked fine.. took it for a ride and stuff and it worked good. Well, it didnt' feel that great! it wasn't that nice feel that of a new fresh clutch usually feels like. I kept on riding thinking maybe that's the way it does feel! .. oh boy I was wrong. So last night after some wheelie action along with J.T Holt... who was trashing his ZX-7r and showing how to do circles... while being off the bike with the legs in the center... I was clutching my One like a madman!... and of course after 5 minutes I was no longer able to clutch anything up... atleast not any 12s... the bike just bunny jumped on me.. So today, I went to the local dealer and got me a new clutch. As I took the old one out I relized while comparing to the new clutch parts that I was missing a f friction plate! Holy crappomoley! ... I put the new clutch in and it felt just like a new fresh clutch!

So at 11:50 I was ready to leave for Las Vegas. 11:54 I pull over as I forgot to tighten the clutch nuts and stuff on the right hand side next to the clutch cover! .. all good.. just some sweating in the sun again.. 12:10 I was on my way!
12:30... passing a fricken Semi truck that was HAULING *** through the onramp turn and smiling all happy.. So I gave him the thumbs up as I passed him and well, just to be funny I wanted to pull a wheelie past him.. BAD MOVE! ... clutched it up... it just bunny jumped in 2nd gear, bike came down and as I said before.. while embarrassed for a silly wheelie I wanted to take off, so i gave full throttle and the scariest moment on a bike occured for me! My bike was DYING underneath me!

..... so back to what happened! I was working on the bike and noticed a couple of cracks... especially one along the back of the engine. Then my friend spotted another one after I took the radiator off! And I was like! oh.. dammit.. Welding time!... until I took some more minutes of my time to thoroughly inspect the bike for more ... "crap".. I took the oilpan off the bike! I just layed the bike on it's side as I did that. Hell, it's already scraped up.. Who cares.. right? .. so I loosen up all the bolts.. and left one in there to keep the oil pan still in place, and put the bike back up on the kick stand. Took the oilpan off and I saw an engine's worst nightmare! The whole bottom of the oilpan was LITTERED with small pieces of metal! Now among the small stuff... there was chunks and a half of 2nd gear (which I was in as I attempted a show off wheelie)... I lay down and look up inside the engine and see the other big half of the 2nd gear sprocket STUCK between the wall and something else next to the rest of the gears. At this point I'm crying all over the place.. Okay, maybe not, but I'm pretty bummed out over this ****.
I put the oilpan back on and left the bike for a bit to think what I'm gonna do. As I lurk around looking at the bike and thinking if anything can be done, I see that behind where the subframe attaches to the mainframe, there's a huge (for an engine...) hole going straight into the gearbox. About an inch wide inch tall this hole was sending me a signal saying he does not want to be revived. This engine is DONE and in R1 heaven.

So, I'm sorry I couldn't get to Las Vegas. I soooo wanted to! It'd be my first time in LV! I even got a hookup for places to go in LV (VIP stuff...)..

I hope you have a blast up there!

If anyone have an 02 R1 engine for sale. All I need is the engine, no cables, FI body or airbox or anything! thank you for anything tips or leads.

Bummed Johnny
Old 06-14-2003, 12:41 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person
take the tires and gas and get a honda. I know !!
Old 06-14-2003, 12:50 AM

If you hook me up with a 929.. lol.. but I love the R1! I know it's kinda limiting you for stunts and stuff... but hey, 400ft endos (yes...) and 12s slow or not works fine.. so I'm happy with it. I was just about to attempt circle wheelies too!!.. and now this..

you saw my bike at WBBF... the black and blue one with pretty much the same colors as on yours. Copycat! J/K
Old 06-14-2003, 02:21 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person
ya but mine runs!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 05:27 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
how many miles were on ur 02 R1 when it granaded? I TORTURE mine and the motor is still quiet. & I start it ice cold & hold it on the limiter to warm it up.

think something from u clutch got into the motor & nuked it?
Old 06-14-2003, 05:37 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 1000ceecee
how many miles were on ur 02 R1 when it granaded? I TORTURE mine and the motor is still quiet. & I start it ice cold & hold it on the limiter to warm it up.

think something from u clutch got into the motor & nuked it?
sounds like a smart way to warm the engine up.

anyways, that sucks that your bike chunked on you. I know yamaha's have one of the weakest trannies of the bikes. That's why i switched to honda and got a pair of 929's. The only problem, for some reason when i go for long stoppies i get headshake which has caused me to crash badly on my stunt bike.

i have a very nice yellow/black 929 with chrome rims that just sits in my garage that i think i want to get rid of. send me an e-mail at jbinder@ma.rr.com if you want it. it hasn't been stunted other than the small **** you see in my avatar.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:47 PM

StuntinR6SD is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you go to that bike night thing at margarita rocks on thursday, and almost crash into a guy with a R6 while he was doing an endo?
Old 06-15-2003, 04:31 AM

me.. umh.. i can't remember being close to crash!... might've joked around.

.... believeable... ?
... I knew my gearbox was on the way out... but not like this. Next time I'll be more careful.. that's for sure.

It had 25.000 miles on it. It's been abused... i can't lie.