Cutting pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM

JvGSXR750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cutting pipe ?

another question I need to cut this pipe if I just cut inbetween the two points will I avoid all that bullshit ? Is what I mean is can I just cut and weld ? With out having to deal with the chambers ? I just got this thing and im trying to get it setup before spring .

Name:  100_1004.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  94.0 KB
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 AM

spoondogg is a decent person
Re: Cutting pipe ?

idk about a stock can, but on mine i cut like 8inches off and instead of riveting the tip back on (like the can was supposed to be) i just put self tapping screws in the rivet holes
Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 AM
DC Kustoms

drgnazz is an unknown quantity at this point

that wont work on the stock ones like his.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse my primitive paint skills.... but,

Here's what the inside of your pipe looks like.... there's 3 chambers.

The exhaust come in the 1st one... goes through a small hole and tube bypassing the 2nd one completely... then bounces around the 3rd, going back to the 2nd through 2 holes that are side by side (the black marks)... then comes out the single outlet pipe that is sealed from the 3rd chamber.

Basically what all that means is... if you don't care how loud it's gonna be, just cut the 3rd chamber right off (or MOST of it)..... but it will be LOUD.... and you may as well cut the 2nd one off too cause it won't be doing a thing. It'll be bypassed still.

If you want a quiet pipe... cut out most of the 1st chamber... but that's more complicated and requires more welding (the hanger bracket etc.).

I've done it both ways and there's a ******* ENORMOUS difference in sound.

Have fun

Last edited by kj; 02-08-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:42 AM
kj

Here's the quiet way to cut..... cut and re-weld on red lines.... .

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 AM
kj

Just to clarify the second pic.... you grind off the hanger bracket 1st... then cut the cap where the mid pipe enters the can (right on the weld).

Then take a look inside and make the next cut so your left w/ about 2in inside the 1st chamber. (about 4in in length).

Then you can take about 2- 2 1/2in out of the mid pipe itself also.... you'll see the part that is straight just b4 it starts to bend and right where it goes into the cap... cut that out.

Then weld in this order: 1st, the mid pipe to the inlet cap.... 2nd the inlet cap onto the can.... 3rd mount it on the bike and re-weld the hanger bracket OR just run a big hose clamp if you don't give a **** what it looks like (big zip ties work too, but break all the time).

I have one pipe that was done this way and it is just as, IF NOT quieter than a stock pipe.... w/ a NOTICABLE difference in low end/off idle power (from back pressure obviously).

And i have a can cut the other way that is just as loud as my shorty 2 bros, but 4x as heavy.... but it does take a serious beating w/ out fallin apart.

IDK... i run a shorty jardine now that I picked up for CHEAP.... not too loud but not too quiet... looks good and it's nice and light.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM
squid hunter

Trick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to beholdTrick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kj
Here's the quiet way to cut..... cut and re-weld on red lines.... .

i am getting another pipe and i am making you do that for me.... i want my bike to sound like a toyota prius
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kj
Just to clarify the second pic.... you grind off the hanger bracket 1st... then cut the cap where the mid pipe enters the can (right on the weld).

Then take a look inside and make the next cut so your left w/ about 2in inside the 1st chamber. (about 4in in length).

Then you can take about 2- 2 1/2in out of the mid pipe itself also.... you'll see the part that is straight just b4 it starts to bend and right where it goes into the cap... cut that out.

Then weld in this order: 1st, the mid pipe to the inlet cap.... 2nd the inlet cap onto the can.... 3rd mount it on the bike and re-weld the hanger bracket OR just run a big hose clamp if you don't give a **** what it looks like (big zip ties work too, but break all the time).

I have one pipe that was done this way and it is just as, IF NOT quieter than a stock pipe.... w/ a NOTICABLE difference in low end/off idle power (from back pressure obviously).

And i have a can cut the other way that is just as loud as my shorty 2 bros, but 4x as heavy.... but it does take a serious beating w/ out fallin apart.

IDK... i run a shorty jardine now that I picked up for CHEAP.... not too loud but not too quiet... looks good and it's nice and light.
Props to you my friend that actually makes sense , good job. your paint skills are unbelievable .

seriously that was the best explanation I have heard. THANKS. now how about removing California emissions sensor ? explain that just as clear. HAHAHAHAHA again thanks for the help on the pipe.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by kj

The exhaust come in the 1st one... goes through a small hole and tube bypassing the 2nd one completely... then bounces around the 3rd, going back to the 2nd through 2 holes that are side by side (the black marks)... then comes out the single outlet pipe that is sealed from the 3rd chamber.

Basically what all that means is... if you don't care how loud it's gonna be, just cut the 3rd chamber right off (or MOST of it)..... but it will be LOUD.... and you may as well cut the 2nd one off too cause it won't be doing a thing. It'll be bypassed still.

If you want a quiet pipe... cut out most of the 1st chamber... but that's more complicated and requires more welding (the hanger bracket etc.).

I've done it both ways and there's a ******* ENORMOUS difference in sound.

Have fun
KJ im going to cut this **** in the morning , is this where I am supposed to cut and remove and then just reweld ? I just thought I would put up another pic to make sure. I don’t want a loud pipe my spot wont allow it. Thanks for all your help.

Name:  pipecutting.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
kj

Originally Posted by JvGSXR750
[SIZE=2]KJ im going to cut this **** in the morning , is this where I am supposed to cut and remove and then just reweld ? I just thought I would put up another pic to make sure. I don’t want a loud pipe my spot wont allow it. Thanks for all your help.
YES, exactly... you can actually get a bit more out of the can I think maybe closer to 5"? I don't remember... just cut the inlet cap (right inside the factory weld) and take a look inside, measure and make your mark on the outside.

Helps alot to have something like a thick piece of construction paper so you can get a real straight line around the can when your making the cuts.... just make the re-welding a whole lot easier.

If you do it this way, you're not gonna believe how quiet the pipe ends up being when you 1st bolt it on...
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by kj
YES, exactly... you can actually get a bit more out of the can I think maybe closer to 5"? I don't remember... just cut the inlet cap (right inside the factory weld) and take a look inside, measure and make your mark on the outside.

Helps alot to have something like a thick piece of construction paper so you can get a real straight line around the can when your making the cuts.... just make the re-welding a whole lot easier.

If you do it this way, you're not gonna believe how quiet the pipe ends up being when you 1st bolt it on...

Cool thanks man , this should be a sticky for people in the future this was a very descriptive and helpful , a lot better then any other posts I found on cutting your pipe. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM

fat_sac has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Anyone know about cutting a Yosh from the front like that?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM

LBJOE is a decent person

easy way
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 PM

LBJOE is a decent person

sorry so big
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
kj

Originally Posted by fat_sac
Anyone know about cutting a Yosh from the front like that?
Any straight through pipe can be cut from either end.

I'm gonna post up pics of a stock pipe that I have in the garage that has already been cut in the above method, but hasn't been welded yet...

I'll try to get the pics tomorrow... i haven't been able to get to the garage, been out all last night plowing
Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
kj

Originally Posted by LBJOE
easy way
VERY easy...

also VERY loud.... even w/ an end cap welded back on.

Either way it's all about what you want in a pipe.... short at the expense of increased attention? Or short, w/ alot of work involved, but super silent steath practice sessions.

I have 4... one for shows/group practice when we have a legit spot, very loud, very obnoxious shorty 2bros...

Another cut as I described above for night practice/sensitive areas. I can get away w/ riding in alot of places that nobody would think of trying, cause most of the time no one knows that Im even there.

Another like LBJOE's.... rarely use it, but it's tough as hell... things a tank.

And then a shorty Jardine that I use now... it isn't too bad... I stuffed a piece of stainless hardware cloth inside it in the shape of a cone (sorta like the end of a 954 mid pipe) for a lil extra back pressure and a lil extra quiet. It's kinda like a best of both worlds pipe... looks real nice and isn't too too loud.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM

Thats good to hear. I was asking because my pipe's a little crunchy towards the front. I know cutting the end off and recapping it is pretty straight forward, but I wasn't sure if it worked the same the other way around. Here's a pic for the sake of posting pix.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	206266  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
kj

Originally Posted by fat_sac
Thats good to hear. I was asking because my pipe's a little crunchy towards the front. I know cutting the end off and recapping it is pretty straight forward, but I wasn't sure if it worked the same the other way around. Here's a pic for the sake of posting pix.
My jardine was JUST like that... I got it for $14 off ebay... cut the bad part out and now it looks perfectly minty
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM
kj

Originally Posted by kj

Maybe this new pic will clarify the above pic...

So basically in the above pic you may as well cut out all of the second (center) chamber... cause it's doing nothing now besides taking up space...

Last edited by kj; 02-13-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by kj
My jardine was JUST like that... I got it for $14 off ebay... cut the bad part out and now it looks perfectly minty
Awesome! I'm cutting that bitch this weekend then. :YEAH

Quick Reply: Cutting pipe ?