Wire Harness Routing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:52 AM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wire Harness Routing

Man, I'm just full of questions.

Ok, so my new one... and I've given this a bunch of thought. (Keep in mind I'm an audio engineer by trade, so I'm very handy with a soldering gun, and am not worried about that part...)

MY QUESTION:
Is it reasonable to snip all the leads from my wiring harness that run to my instrument cluster, and solder in an extra foot of length to the wires so that I can keep the harness under the tank, and just have one sealed up (heat shrink tubing) strand running up to the tach/speedo?

There's about 20 wires there, So I was thinking of getting a few different colors of matching gauge wire.

Then I'd snip say 4 wires... going down the line a bit further, snipping 4 more wires etc. That way after I solder, and put the heat sink tubing on, my final wrap won't have some big knot in it where all the wires were cut at once...

So basically, I'd keep down the line so that my work is along the entire length of the strand, rather than in 1 spot. God, how do I explain that... Ooh... here...

So the wires would be cut staggered like this:
lllll
llll
l lll
ll ll
lll l
llll
lllll

And not straight across like this:
lllll
lllll

lllll
lllll

PICS:
This is where I mounted my cluster. There is room there to plug in the harness, and still be able to access every screw from the back while it is mounted to the cross support.

OK
So all in all, what I'm trying to accomplish, is to take this huge harness that was designed to be hidden by the front plastics, and hide it under the tank so that only minimal lines are routed to the electronics.

How do you guys do this normally? Any pics? I like my idea, but just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for problems later.

Last question... where should I route the wires from on the triple when going back to the frame so that they are least likely to get pinched, bent, wire fatigued etc.

- Pixel -
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 AM

Nine54f4i is a decent person
Re: Wire Harness Routing

Wtf handlebars. My head hurts looking at that and even trying to ponder why.

On another note... I dont know if yours is the same but i just unplugged my cluster from the harness and rerouted it and actually got a decent amount of length to move it around
Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Whitetrash

JEFF4EZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are your db bars upside down?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

you should have plenty of wire to plug that in without cutting wires..

re-route them it looks to be clooser to the tank the it was before..
Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 AM

S.O.R Josh is an unknown quantity at this point

you could run 0° clipons and get the same effect you have running db bars upside down. and yes you can extend the wires if you want to go that route. I would do away with the gage cluster because you dont need that **** anyway. to me its an eyesore to have that **** on a streetfighterd bike anyway. IMO
just tuck all your harness in front of your airbox and it will clean things up.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM

S.O.R Josh is an unknown quantity at this point

and the problem i see for later on is having a gage cluster where you legs/feet are going to be. highchairs are going to be very uncomfortable

i would turn the bars the right way. Extend your starter button wires to accommodate the dirt bar height and your golden.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

E RacK can only hope to improve

i understand ur example on the wiring but what if u route the harness under or over the airbox and to the cluster u save like 2 inches opposed to going along the frame countour.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEFF4EZ
Why are your db bars upside down?
That way next time I loop, they'll be right side up. :YEAH

J/k. Every single cable, throttle pair, clutch cable, front brake, hb, etc wouldn't reach without some f*ked up routing. So that's what I came up with one day. Did a post on it. The bar position is actually really sweet with it that way, so we'll see how it works out for practicality.

Yes yes, I know... get clip-ons. Next time around.

- Pixel -