ama in stuntin'

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of
Re: ama in stuntin'

Nick, you're a genius.

The AMA would not want to step in until XDL has taken sanctioning as far as they can. They don't want to make new work for themselves. The organization and standards and practices need to already be in place, and then at that point, they slip in, and everything changes.

The trade off for it would be huge in terms of behavior and stuff. I wouldn't be too quick to trade autonomy for security. These days will be missed when the officials are running the show.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kaneone
novel idea.. we should start implimenting numbers plates too

-kane
that's a good idea.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM

ricky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by excessa
Nick, you're a genius.

The AMA would not want to step in until XDL has taken sanctioning as far as they can. They don't want to make new work for themselves. The organization and standards and practices need to already be in place, and then at that point, they slip in, and everything changes.

The trade off for it would be huge in terms of behavior and stuff. I wouldn't be too quick to trade autonomy for security. These days will be missed when the officials are running the show.
in other words they want us to do the leg work and take the credit for it!sounds like bull **** to me
Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ricky
in other words they want us to do the leg work and take the credit for it!sounds like bull **** to me
Sort of but I wouldn't have gone as harsh with it. Basically they aren't going to want to grow the sport or make it work, once it's off the ground they may be more likely to offer stunting a sactioning body or at least tro host events.

Even after doing all the legwork, stunting can still benefit from AMA oversight, but there's a payout too. A lot of freedom would be lost, and stunters would have very little to do with the business side of things. decisions would be made without asking.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 AM

ricky is an unknown quantity at this point

So Basically Were Better Off Standin On Our Own .than Havin To Lose The Benefit Of Our Freedom In The Sport
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM

I think so but it's one of those things where I can see the potential benefits are a big deal, and probably push the sport closer to mainstream than everyone can do on their own, but with the power in the hands of "responsible persons" part of what makes this sport so real and wonderful will go away.

It's all conjecture at this point, but this is what I see. There are good reasons for and against, and it's good you guys are thinking of this. Unionize your pro riders, and the riders will have a say in how their sport is organized no matter what. represent yourselves and it's good not to be in too much of a hurry to get where you're going that someone else gets too much power.

In this case, take it as far as you can on your own and maybe when the AMA starts sniffing around, you won't need to borrow legitimacy from them, they will need to borrow atmosphere from you.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM

georgeeboy is a decent person

The AMA should take us on just so we can all get stunt passes so when the cops come to our spots we can flash them and be able to keep riding!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by old man roger
does any one know exactly what the advantages would be ?

i mean if the ama decide to be as involved in the sport as they are in motocross, supercross, supersport and superbike racing then it's clear it would be an advantage but just having all stunt riders join ama wouldn't mean thats what would happen
the advantage woude be that: the AMA could no longer think of us as "those guys" because we'd be 'with' them.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Nick Apex is a decent person

In this case, take it as far as you can on your own and maybe when the AMA starts sniffing around, you won't need to borrow legitimacy from them, they will need to borrow atmosphere from you.
Well, at least two of us are on the same page. I may have overshot the understanding of 95% of the people on here. Not because any of you are less than cable of understanding what I meant, but because you're not entrenched in it enough.

Kane had a good point, Thomas said it too a few months back, numbers would be a good start.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 AM

ABEStunts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaneone
novel idea.. we should start implimenting numbers plates too

-kane
yes great idea. wasn't thomas try to do this? i hope he does. and with those numbers we could benefit from a championship series. also we are doing better about getting a unified judging system. it seems to change between events except the xdl series. many riders already make it to every comp held why not add points system it would give riders more incentive to attend each comp. or if that is too costly we can break in up into east and west like the supercross lites and meet in the middle for a championship. but first we need a board thats in charge not just one person. maybe we can start with the ones in charge of the comps we have every year say one of the starboys thomas colbert ect...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM

That's exactly what should happen fsbABE, IMO, and it seems to be happening. (yay Thomas works pretty hard for being such a big meanie )

If everyone cooperates to make the sport bigger, works cohesively... by the time the AMA notices people getting their **** together, the whole sport will be in a position to take or leave help depending on what kind of compromises there are on the table.

These kinds of discussions get me excited because I see the progress in the way people are thinking. It's like watching Aaron Colton kill it, and then seeing him ride two months later and seeing the progress. ALways puts a smile on my face.

See you guys at the stuntwars.

Wait, here's another thing, even if you hate someone, if they throw a comp, think about going. Every comp should look like part of an organized circuit. If you can't bring yourself to support the person throwing an event, show up to take their money and support the growth of the sport.

just some thoughts. I'm really impressed with the way you guys have been bringing it overall. Other people will see it too, they just haven't seen where they can benefit yet. when they do, they'll come after it, and then it's a matter of not being so hungry you let yourself get fucked for a chicken nugget.

Last edited by excessa; 01-03-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM
the advantage woude be that: the AMA could no longer think of us as "those guys" because we'd be 'with' them.

Perfectly put. I sometimes wonder if being "them" isn't much much more appealing, but just a harder start.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Xr50King is an unknown quantity at this point

The ama is a ******* joke...

I would rather be in the 1% category they placed the hells angels back in the 40s or 50s

They dont promote themselves for ****... hell the greed(speed) channel gets more money off of jason brittons "super bikes" for commercial time than the ama races get...or at least the same. (i wonder what nascar pulls in off of commercial time)

Racing is cool... Organized racing is even cooler... But some orginazations suck... like the ama. I would rather sell my bike than be a card carrying member of that org, and i love my bike... more than my girlfriend but less than my mom... well maybe a lil more than mom...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM

letsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to allletsride is a name known to all

IDK, stunting is in the same class as fmx Imo. Its not racing, Something every sport involved in AMA has in common. Just a thought

Last edited by letsride; 01-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM

I don't know that they would sanction events, and you're right, ama pro racing is just that. plus they are there to get paid, not to pay people. The best thing they could do with stunting is to ivite the pro stunt comps to share a venue.

The real word in there, and it's giving me pause right now too, is that by the time you can get them paid enough to merit the risk that is involved in expanding any program to fit something new, you should be self sustaining. IDK, too many factors, but stunting is already on the radar in good and bad ways.

I always point out to race team owners that the exhibition stunt riders are signing more autographs than their biggest named racers, they are realizing the merit of branding when it comes to names and recognizability and fans. Johnny Rock Page has been showing them how marketing is done. he's a smart man.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
is back on the dirt

the gnar is a decent person

Originally Posted by Xr50King
The ama is a ******* joke...

I would rather be in the 1% category they placed the hells angels back in the 40s or 50s

They dont promote themselves for ****... hell the greed(speed) channel gets more money off of jason brittons "super bikes" for commercial time than the ama races get...or at least the same. (i wonder what nascar pulls in off of commercial time)

Racing is cool... Organized racing is even cooler... But some orginazations suck... like the ama. I would rather sell my bike than be a card carrying member of that org, and i love my bike... more than my girlfriend but less than my mom... well maybe a lil more than mom...

have you been to a supercross race since the AMA worked with CBS to get a few of the seasons races on CBS? Every Anihiem race sells out, most other stadiums either sell out or are close to capicity. thats 70000 people every saturday night for 16 weeks @ $30-50 a ticket. thats a lot of money, a lot of publicity, and a lot of money coming in from vendors straight to riders.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM

thehate. will become famous soon enough

The AMA is the NRA for bikes! any time that congress comes up with some dumb *** law that has to do with motorcycles they fight it tooth and nail! so it would be a good thing! they need to have big pockets because thats what it takes to grease the ******* liberal wheels in our government! would you want every state to be so fucked up as California?

Last edited by thehate.; 01-03-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM

AMA proper fights for riders as a non profit, AMA pro racing is about making the most money possible, events coordination and stuff I have no patience for.

AMA more than 200,000 paid members. AMA pro racing, 23 or so employees. They don't have time for congressional hearings on the pro racing side.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM

Xr50King is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 600RRizzle
have you been to a supercross race since the AMA worked with CBS to get a few of the seasons races on CBS? Every Anihiem race sells out, most other stadiums either sell out or are close to capicity. thats 70000 people every saturday night for 16 weeks @ $30-50 a ticket. thats a lot of money, a lot of publicity, and a lot of money coming in from vendors straight to riders.

Good point... i was speaking of road racing... The dirtbikes are ama's bread and butter... Without super and motocross the ama would definetly lose the majority of their profits...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
is back on the dirt

the gnar is a decent person

AMA more than 200,000 paid members. AMA pro racing, 23 or so employees. They don't have time for congressional hearings on the pro racing side.
thats where the profits go, to lawyers that fight for them. AMA is a good thing, it might not be the best thing for the stunt bike community (right now) but it would help get our name out of the mud.

Quick Reply: ama in stuntin'