05/06 636 stunt stays, need some input from riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM

LynchMob is a decent person
Re: 05/06 636 stunt stays, need some input from riders.

sup johny.. im def takin one. u still want that front wheel right? i was curious if you could do me a favor and measure how tall ur windscreen is gonna be after u cut it down because i already have 2 uppers that are cut down and im just curious if its gonna be short. the 05/06 uppers dont look to good cut down.. thats what sucks about it..lol but either way im gonna take one
Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by LynchMob
sup johny.. im def takin one. u still want that front wheel right? i was curious if you could do me a favor and measure how tall ur windscreen is gonna be after u cut it down because i already have 2 uppers that are cut down and im just curious if its gonna be short. the 05/06 uppers dont look to good cut down.. thats what sucks about it..lol but either way im gonna take one
It looks like its gonna be cut 2-1/2" up from the middle windscreen bolts.....Dont worry thou cause if you need the cross bar lower I'll do that for yours..We can work that out when Im makin one for you..And yes I still need that wheel

It might not "look too good" cut down, but Im lookin at this full upper and Im thinkin "holy **** this ************ is big"... Its a big **** as far as uppers go, very wide up top its got like 4" of plastic on both sides of the windscreen...Its differnt thats for sure
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM

Up0n0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, looking at Rayburn's 07' I thought his came out nice, so cut mine the same and looks pretty good.
Rayburn's

Mine
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person

johnny p

i just cut my upper tonight on my 05/06 636. for those of you wanting to run clipons and turn them out. for maximum range of turning the handle bars without hitting the clutch or front brake / throttle cables, this is how much i had to cut off. you have to cut more off the 05/06 then you do on the 03/04.

i say make em shorter! i had to cut just above the 2nd windscreen bolt.

my set up is with Vortex 7 degree clipons (flipped), moose easy pull, brembo radial mount hand brake, and stock front radial brake with Vortex shorty lever!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	636_cut_down.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	203741   Click image for larger version

Name:	636_stock.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	203742   Click image for larger version

Name:	636_stock_sideview.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	203743  
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Thanks guys the pics help alot! I was mostly worried that people werent going to want to cut their uppers that short. I havent seen one of these 05+ 636's setup with FF and turned out clipons yet, so I had no idea how much people were cutting them down...

Right now with what I have planned for the standard issue looks like it will be bang on with this one...I measured 2-1/2" up from the 2nd windscreen bolts, looks like this one is exactly where Im puttin the cross bar for the standard ones...

Not to worry Dan and anyone else that has already cut their upper a little shorter, just let me know beforehand and I will make yours shorter. And try my best to match the cross bar with your already cut upper.....Id did that for Drastic Dan and pretty much hit it dead on just from pics.....

Hoping to get this replacement frame in a week or so, and then a week or 2 after that I should have pics of the first prototype...Then once I have the base unit designed I'll start makin a list of people interested, and you guys can PM pics of your uppers....The base unit will always be the same, I just adjust the lenght of the tube section according to your guys requirements...

Also 1 more thing I wasnt planning on using the mirror mounts, I'll add them if I have to but right now I dont see them doing any good...The 05 headlight is very strong and that is where most of the support is going to come from, just like my 03/04's and F4i. My main focus is to support the headlight and the upper just floats on top of that.

Thanks guys Im on this like white on rice

Last edited by JohnnyP; 12-17-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by CRAZY DAN
johnny p

i just cut my upper tonight on my 05/06 636. for those of you wanting to run clipons and turn them out. for maximum range of turning the handle bars without hitting the clutch or front brake / throttle cables, this is how much i had to cut off. you have to cut more off the 05/06 then you do on the 03/04.

i say make em shorter! i had to cut just above the 2nd windscreen bolt.

my set up is with Vortex 7 degree clipons (flipped), moose easy pull, brembo radial mount hand brake, and stock front radial brake with Vortex shorty lever!
Personally Id use the stock clipons if I were you, aftermarkets always move the bars forward. This leads to clearance problems, where the stock clipons give you more room because the bar comes out of the side of the clipns. And doesnt have to go infront of the fork tubes like aftermarkets do...

On my 03/04 with aftermarket flipped clipons I couldnt go nearly as turned out, as I can with the stock clipons flipped. And I cant seem to bent the stock one either
Old 12-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Guru is a decent person

Originally Posted by da Liks
John, can you make a stay for my f4i? i know your busy as *** so its hard to keep track of all the pm's..
hahaa im 1st and your 3rd!!!! :YEAH
Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Guru SF
hahaa im 1st and your 3rd!!!! :YEAH
Or maybe I was lookin at my list upside down, and your 3rd and hes first
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Herb is an unknown quantity at this point

I just picked up a 05 636 this week and I am jumping on this list. I already have a spare upper thats ready to be cut down. Let me know if you would like a deposit to know that I am serious. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:32 AM

Guru is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Or maybe I was lookin at my list upside down, and your 3rd and hes first
nope!!! you looked at your list right!!!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Its still a 5x10' sheet of 1/4" 6061 aluminum right now, waiting for its turn to be cut on a CNC water jet....You see last year the people that water jet my parts for me werent busy with that machine, but now they got into cutting stone and marble and **** like that...And they are very busy on that machine, even thou I put in my order a few weeks ago it still hasnt been cut....

Im on it thou....And they are literally just down the street from me, so as soon as I get my parts I'll be jigging up stays...Im shooting to have some ready early in the new year, about the 2nd week of Jan...
so does that mean the quality isnt going to be as good as the last ones

Last edited by stock05; 12-18-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally Id use the stock clipons if I were you, aftermarkets always move the bars forward. This leads to clearance problems, where the stock clipons give you more room because the bar comes out of the side of the clipns. And doesnt have to go infront of the fork tubes like aftermarkets do...

On my 03/04 with aftermarket flipped clipons I couldnt go nearly as turned out, as I can with the stock clipons flipped. And I cant seem to bent the stock one either

If you use the right aftermarket bars (convertibars) you can turn em waaaaay out and still have all the clearance you could ever need.... with 3" of extra space to fit all your controls exactly where you want them.

I used to use FI 0 degree and thought they were best.... then found 0 degree convertibars and now i'm kickin myself in the *** for cuttin down your stay....

the difference w/ these bars is unbelievable.... and i got the idea from you Johnny....
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 AM

varman is an unknown quantity at this point

quiet marc! come on and let's ride lol.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 AM

Guru is a decent person

Originally Posted by kj

If you use the right aftermarket bars (convertibars) you can turn em waaaaay out and still have all the clearance you could ever need.... with 3" of extra space to fit all your controls exactly where you want them.

I used to use FI 0 degree and thought they were best.... then found 0 degree convertibars and now i'm kickin myself in the *** for cuttin down your stay....

the difference w/ these bars is unbelievable.... and i got the idea from you Johnny....

post pics of the bars and a link?? how much did you spend?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:15 AM

varman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Up0n0ne
Actually, looking at Rayburn's 07' I thought his came out nice, so cut mine the same and looks pretty good.
Rayburn's

Mine
marc have you dented your tank yet?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 AM
kj

Originally Posted by Guru SF
post pics of the bars and a link?? how much did you spend?
www.convertibars.com

go w/ the 0 degree fixed stainless steel bars.... i believe they're the "FG" model... they were big $$, bout $319 or somethin like that. Well worth the $$ though... super adjustable and WIDE turned out w/ room to spare.

there's some kind of holiday sale till 12/25 something like 10% off.

I'll get some pics tomorrow w/ johnnyP's stay and the new Ho Hey top triple w/ 1000rr forks... this is THE best setup I've ever tried and I'm sooooo happy i spent the $$ on it...

Last edited by kj; 12-18-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 AM
kj

here's the link to 0 degree bars.... http://www.convertibars.com/Products.cfm
Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kj
here's the link to 0 degree bars.... http://www.convertibars.com/Products.cfm
i have seen 2 sets of these break where it goes up then out right by the welds. 1 while a guy was doing a wheelie

i think those uppers looked like poo cut down that far. might as well go SF if you cut that much off
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 AM
www.myspace.com/weeee420

nina weee will become famous soon enoughnina weee will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by suicidl
i have seen 2 sets of these break where it goes up then out right by the welds. 1 while a guy was doing a wheelie

i think those uppers looked like poo cut down that far. might as well go SF if you cut that much off

which is why everyone should run the JohnnyP stay
Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Herb
I just picked up a 05 636 this week and I am jumping on this list. I already have a spare upper thats ready to be cut down. Let me know if you would like a deposit to know that I am serious. Thanks.
No deposit needed Im not going to start makin a list untill I actually design the prototype anyways. And I dont like takin any money untill I have a stay ready to ship. I could get hit by a bus tommorrow and then your screwed, as its only me and no one here to take over...

Originally Posted by stock05
so does that mean the quality isnt going to be as good as the last ones
No them doing stone/marbel counter tops and custom stone peices for flooring in shoping malls and rich peoples houses wont affect my quality at at. It just means that they now have work for that machine and are running it everyday. Not like last year when the machine was fairly new to their shop and they didnt have alot of work for it and it was just waiting for work, I would bring in my files and theyd cut them out that night or the next day....

The sheets just lay on a table with a pool of water under it, and the head goes over it tracing out the parts with a jet stream of water(like a water pic at the dentist but more pressure)...Nothing actually touches the material so it doesnt matter what else they cut on that machine. They cut stone, marbel, plastic, glass, alumium, steel, etc etc......It will cut through 6" of steel plate! Now thats pressure.....

Originally Posted by kj

Yeah I know about those bars, I was talkin more about regular clip-ons. Because of the way those regular clipons hold the handle bar it always has to go infront of the fork tube...And you loose like 1" of clearance with them, but Ive been meaning to try something differnt like those Conveti bars. Just havent got around to it, and Ive gotten used to the stock ones....I only like the 636 stock clipons thou! And when I tried the FI 0degrees I could barely turn my bars out futher then stock before the levers hit the upper....

Originally Posted by suicidl
Ok it is alot to cut off but common SF! Thats a weak excuse and I hope you dont use it and loose your upper....Even if its just the headlight and 1" of windscreen Its still better then SF IMO....Im not the best in my area theres one guy around here thats been doin it longer and hes still ahead of me, but Ive been FF from day one and he rides a POS with nothing on it.. I get alot more respect at the spot because my **** actually looks like a sportbike...To each their own SF just aint my style....

I think it also helps with sponsors and stuff like that? I doubt Kawi would be too impressed if Kane wanted to rock their bikes naked.....Id think theyd want the bikes to look as close to the real thing as possible....

Quick Reply: 05/06 636 stunt stays, need some input from riders.