Magura

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:34 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person
Re: Magura

Originally Posted by Aaron Colton
I have tried the 13mm on T-Necks bike and on a bike in Hungary and I felt that it was probably the most effective handbrake master cylinder that I have ever used but for my style or riding it did not work out as well as the 16mm. I tend to hold on to the bike a slight bit with my handbrake finger and with the 13mm it would cause the brake to drag somewhat severely so that is why the 16mm works out much better for me that the 13mm. Then again it all comes down to a persons riding style.

-Aaron
That makes sense and I can see that happening because this thing starts locking instantly soon as you even put the slightest pressure on the lever...
It could just be a matter of giving it more time thou, I didnt like the 16x18 Brembo at first either.. And its really up to ones prefernce, just like front brake masters some like the rock hardness of the 19x20 and some like the feel of the 18x19's....
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

Informative thread !!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 PM

mikkee is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Ok guys I got it mounted and bleed it, but its snowing like mad here so I havent been able to ride it yet...Heres my review about how it feels just from playing with it on the stand, and letting bike pull on idle and holding it back with the HB...

Ok so Im used to the Brembo 16x18 and anyone that has one of those should remember how mushy it felt when you first got it. Well after playing with the 13 then going back and playing with the 16, the 16 fells rock hard now..LOL
The 13mm feels like the 16 did when I first got it and the 16 feels like my old GSXR radial now, no feel and more off/on...I had a friend come over as I was finishing the bleed and told him to try it and give me his thoughts, he played with it for a few seconds and said "wow thats mushy" then I told him to go play with his bike with the 16x18 Brembo hes also used to. And then he said "WTF this feels hard now" so we both have the same opinion on how it feels compared to the 16x18......And now he wants one bad too!

The 13 has alot of feel and crazy power! There is alot of travel and it can be pulled almost all the way to the bar, but it locks up when pulled in just a **** hair the rest is all modulation...I suspect this will very easy to lock up with alot more control over exactly how much braking power you want....

I'll be back when I get a day or 2 or +temps and I can give it a real test run, for now I think I like it! I think it might be one of those things where some people will like it better and others wont......
Pull on idle on the stand don't mean squat. I was actually doing that a bit last night to brake in my new rear pads. It's completely different when you actually get on the brake in a wheelie, reguardless of the master.

Also it's never perfectly right on the first bleed with the feel when riding. Took me a few weeks of sessions to work some air out, then finally opening the calipers and bleeding again from everywhere, rear, foot, and ending with bleeding from the master. That has been my experience anytime your making a change or putting something new in your hb system reguardless of what hb master you are running. So don't post up assumptions on how it feels on the stand or even the first time you have it out on one cuz it's probably not up to it's full potential yet.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikkee
Pull on idle on the stand don't mean squat. I was actually doing that a bit last night to brake in my new rear pads. It's completely different when you actually get on the brake in a wheelie, reguardless of the master.

Also it's never perfectly right on the first bleed with the feel when riding. Took me a few weeks of sessions to work some air out, then finally opening the calipers and bleeding again from everywhere, rear, foot, and ending with bleeding from the master. That has been my experience anytime your making a change or putting something new in your hb system reguardless of what hb master you are running. So don't post up assumptions on how it feels on the stand or even the first time you have it out on one cuz it's probably not up to it's full potential yet.
You need to lighten up! Where did I say the anything about it being better in a wheelie? Like I said Im just giving a review on how it feels so far, without actually riding with it yet...."Heres my review about how it feels just from playing with it on the stand"

I was letting the bike pull on idle on 2 wheels rolling in first gear, not on the stand...And I didnt say anything other then how it feels compared to the Brembo 16 in the same situation(playing with it not ridin), I did not say once that I like it better in a wheelie situation yet because I havent actually ridden it yet...Im just posting my thoughts on it so far, like people have been askin me to.....

Thanks for your bleeding advice but I know how to bleed brakes thank you Ive said that its never right on the first bleed 100000000x on here, and I always re-bleed after a good shake up(ride) to loosen up air bubbles....

Ive got an open mind and Im going to try this 13mm, then I'll make my decision about what I like better. If its crap I'll ****** toss it and get a 16, no big deal to me, at least I can say I tried it... You on the other hand seem to be convinced its not better even thou you havent tried one.... So just enjoy your 16 and STFU, let me and people willing to try new things do so...

I didnt put that info up for you(because your obviously not interested in a 13), I put it up for the people asked me too. Thats all.....
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM

You need to lighten up! Where did I say the anything about it being better in a wheelie? Like I said Im just giving a review on how it feels so far, without actually riding with it yet...."Heres my review about how it feels just from playing with it on the stand"

I was letting the bike pull on idle on 2 wheels rolling in first gear, not on the stand...And I didnt say anything other then how it feels compared to the Brembo 16 in the same situation(playing with it not ridin), I did not say once that I like it better in a wheelie situation yet because I havent actually ridden it yet...Im just posting my thoughts on it so far, like people have been askin me to.....

Thanks for your bleeding advice but I know how to bleed brakes thank you Ive said that its never right on the first bleed 100000000x on here, and I always re-bleed after a good shake up(ride) to loosen up air bubbles....

Ive got an open mind and Im going to try this 13mm, then I'll make my decision about what I like better. If its crap I'll ****** toss it and get a 16, no big deal to me, at least I can say I tried it... You on the other hand seem to be convinced its not better even thou you havent tried one.... So just enjoy your 16 and STFU, let me and people willing to try new things do so...

I didnt put that info up for you(because your obviously not interested in a 13), I put it up for the people asked me too. Thats all.....
sniffle snifle...
Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

I think a 13mm would work awesome cause most rear master bores are 13mm.
Bout to put one on my bike too:YEAH
Old 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

sniffle snifle...
Yeah Im all torn up about this.....Going on Magurausa.com right now to order my 16mm left hand for $400....Then I'll have your.....oh I mean the RIGHT setup...

Anyone want to buy this useless 13mm master
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Yeah Im all torn up about this.....Going on Magurausa.com right now to order my 16mm left hand for $400....Then I'll have your.....oh I mean the RIGHT setup...

Anyone want to buy this useless 13mm master
Just go out, break it in bleed it up like u say, get some good seat time on it and how it reacts with actual stunting.. - pulling out when past the bp if it weakens up or pulls back strong, can you feather it and be smooth for slow technical, straitline combo etc, compared with the Brembo.

Aaron posted up some riding info and opinions, and T-Neck should post up some good comparison riding info since he has been running the 13mm magura for a bit and can compare that to the 16x18 brembo.

I actually am interested on how it works. Just don't think posting up on how it works rolling idle dn the street is significant info in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SKETCHY146
I think a 13mm would work awesome cause most rear master bores are 13mm.
Bout to put one on my bike too:YEAH
I'm interested in how it would work as well... but I think you've got things a lil confused.

It's nothing to do that the bore sizes are the same.... why would that matter? Does your hand put out the exact same pressure as your foot? NO.

It's just hydrolics.... the foot master being 13mm is just coincidence.

Originally Posted by Aaron Colton
There is actually a huge difference. The 16x18 has a squishy progressive feal giving it tons of power but making the bike react somewhat unstable to the input given by the hand.

On the other hand the Magura 16mm is a perfect balance between the power exerted at the hand and the stopping power that it provides to the rear caliper.

I have been running the Magura since Starboyz 1 and have sworn by it ever since.

-Aaron
-
Jeez.... this kids posts sound like term papers.

J/K.... but I run both masters on the same bike and they're NOT that differnt at all.

The magura has an 18mm offset as well.... so they are esentially identical.

Just go out, break it in bleed it up like u say, get some good seat time on it and how it reacts with actual stunting.. - pulling out when past the bp if it weakens up or pulls back strong, can you feather it and be smooth for slow technical, straitline combo etc, compared with the Brembo.

Aaron posted up some riding info and opinions, and T-Neck should post up some good comparison riding info since he has been running the 13mm magura for a bit and can compare that to the 16x18 brembo.

I actually am interested on how it works. Just don't think posting up on how it works rolling idle dn the street is significant info in my opinion.
All true....

it's just like the guys who like the HO HEY 4 piston front caliper for the hb... it's all personal preference.

I tried the 4 piston setup for a while and found that while it's got amazing power and incredible modulation... it's just too touchy in the power department (w/ a brembo 16, maybe w/ a different master it would be better).

Like Aaron, I hang on w/ the brake finger a lil bit too.... so sometimes too much power isn't good. Mousetrappin second gear SS coasters isn't fun.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=kj;3064613]

It's nothing to do that the bore sizes are the same.... why would that matter? Does your hand put out the exact same pressure as your foot? NO.

[Quote]

Think about what your sayin, is it also a coincidence that no rear master has a bore larger then 14mm or so? Or is it possible that thats the proper size for 1 caliper with a single or double piston? Brembo make a $2500 thumb brake, and guess what size the bore on that is? Um thats right a 13mm, Im gonna take a guess that Brembo might know a thing or 2 about brakes. And what works with what, they only make one thumb brake and its 13 for a reason Im sure...."Its just hydraulics" is like saying its just physics Its alot more complicated then your makin it seem, if it wasnt there would only be one bore size for all masters and brake setups.....

Bigger bores are for large volume multi caliper systems with multi pistons. Smaller bores are for smaller volue systems, like single caliper setups or clutchs. Thats the basic princiaple, but there are a million variables. And then theres the personal preferce that comes into play aswell...

I look at it this way aswell, I went from a 19x20 to a 16x18 and I liked that better. So wouldnt going that next step smaller make it even better Thats what Im trying to find out, maybe I'll like it maybe I wont...Ive read a few people on here say they do and some say they dont, so it can go both ways...

You can say all you want about my opinon so far being useless, but last year it was the same deal. I put on a Brembo 16x18 in the winter and knew it felt better (to me) just playing with it, but didnt get to really test it till spring...Im getting that same feeling with this 13, so I just thought Id share that....Take it for what its worth but dont hate on the 13 unless youve treid it, cause your opinon at that point is even more worthless then you think mine is.....
Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=JohnnyP;3064702][QUOTE=kj;3064613]

Think about what your sayin, is it also a coincidence that no rear master has a bore larger then 14mm or so? Or is it possible that thats the proper size for 1 caliper with a single or double piston?

I don't know **** about hand brakes, except my current setup sucks (and I hope the R1 setup I got coming is better)

But, I look at it from the fact, with your hand brake, your gonna be putting VERY little pressure to it from 1 finger.. Whereas with your foot, you have WAY more pressure from just a little fill (1 finger vs 1 leg)

So I personally think a more powerful setup would be better for the hand brake

But what do I know? NOTHING!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Oh and one thing that blows my mind is that some people are sayin the Magura 16 is way better then the Brembo 16. When they are essentially the exact same thing just differnt brand....That just seems strange to me and I cant believe it till I feel it for myself...Think I might just have to get a Magura 16, and then I can run a differnt one on each of my 636's....Brembo 16 Magura16 and 13...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=Towlieee;3064723][QUOTE=JohnnyP;3064702]
Originally Posted by kj

I don't know **** about hand brakes, except my current setup sucks (and I hope the R1 setup I got coming is better)

But, I look at it from the fact, with your hand brake, your gonna be putting VERY little pressure to it from 1 finger.. Whereas with your foot, you have WAY more pressure from just a little fill (1 finger vs 1 leg)

So I personally think a more powerful setup would be better for the hand brake

But what do I know? NOTHING!

Whats your current(sucks) setup? I can tell you that the R1 radial was one of the better OEM masters Ive tried....So if your using a regular old master, you should like the R1 radial alot better.....Still not even close to a 16 but better then most....

The stronger the better IMO, but its gonna take some getting used too...I made a custom hydraulic HB setup for my buddies stock motor CRF50, and that son of a bitch is so strong you have to be very percise with it...At first he didnt like it cause he was stalling the motor all over the place becasue he was used to a 50stunt cable HB that took alot of force to really lock up.....Now that hes gotten used to the power of it and how sensitve it is, he loves it and is doing things he could never do before...He can do whatever he wants and still bring it back with the slightest pull of that HB....

Last edited by JohnnyP; 12-14-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
kj

You can say all you want about my opinon so far being useless, but last year it was the same deal. I put on a Brembo 16x18 in the winter and knew it felt better (to me) just playing with it, but didnt get to really test it till spring...Im getting that same feeling with this 13, so I just thought Id share that....Take it for what its worth but dont hate on the 13 unless youve treid it, cause your opinon at that point is even more worthless then you think mine is.....

Dude.... calm down.

I never said anything about your opinion. I like to try different things out as well. And you DO NOT have to explain hydrolics to ME... i know plenty about brake systems.

I'd be interested to try a 13 out just for kicks... but I'm happy w/ my 16's... they do the job just fine and very comfortably.

If you really want more power go for the HOHEY 4 piston setup.... along w/ that 13 it's probably the most powerful combo you could get.

Last edited by kj; 12-14-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

damn, I'm suprised OMR hasn't got in on this yet
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
kj

Oh and one thing that blows my mind is that some people are sayin the Magura 16 is way better then the Brembo 16. When they are essentially the exact same thing just differnt brand....That just seems strange to me and I cant believe it till I feel it for myself...Think I might just have to get a Magura 16, and then I can run a differnt one on each of my 636's....Brembo 16 Magura16 and 13...

I don't know why certain people say this either (maybe a sponsorship is in the making?)....

I have 2 stunt f4i's, setup exactly the same... brembo on one and Magura on the other....

The only difference is in the shape of the lever
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

Originally Posted by kj
I don't know why certain people say this either (maybe a sponsorship is in the making?)....

I have 2 stunt f4i's, setup exactly the same... brembo on one and Magura on the other....

The only difference is in the shape of the lever
you lucky bastard you

I'm about to put the 13mm magura on mine.I had a brembo 16x18 on the 636 and it worked awesome.When I got my F4I it had a 03 636 non-radial and it SUCKED!! Right now I have a 07' GSXR1000 master and its ok power-wise but is lacking feel.I cant wait to put this 13mm on....can't wait!:YEAH
Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
kj

Originally Posted by SKETCHY146
you lucky bastard you

I'm about to put the 13mm magura on mine.I had a brembo 16x18 on the 636 and it worked awesome.When I got my F4I it had a 03 636 non-radial and it SUCKED!! Right now I have a 07' GSXR1000 master and its ok power-wise but is lacking feel.I cant wait to put this 13mm on....can't wait!:YEAH
Nice.... get it done quick, get out there and let us know how it feels.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

Originally Posted by kj
Nice.... get it done quick, get out there and let us know how it feels.
i will.I'm getting the 195 radial. I cant afford the super duper pimp og billy readmore billet 190 radial

same **** but one's cast & the other is billet
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=JohnnyP;3064734][QUOTE=Towlieee;3064723]

Whats your current(sucks) setup? I can tell you that the R1 radial was one of the better OEM masters Ive tried....So if your using a regular old master, you should like the R1 radial alot better.....Still not even close to a 16 but better then most....

I currently run a Suzuki Tl1000 master with a junction line, it takes 3 fingers and all my might to lock it up, and I've bleed it over and over

I got the master cheap so I snagged it up.. I think it has way less power then my 14mm shindy I used to run

Is the 2001 R1 master a good one? Thats the one I'm gonna be getting..

Quick Reply: Magura