Going To Mmi

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Jim CrashoBazzi

imafrogg420 is a decent person
Re: Going To Mmi

yea but what shop is going to hire you with out a certificate so you can get that experiance that your talking about having in the first place....
Old 12-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Jim CrashoBazzi

I also have been thinking about MMI and i talked with the guy from there and was seriously looking into it. it is 26k for the basic mechanics course plus two manufacture specific training courses. year and a half is how long it would take.

now maybe if I wanted a career at a dealership i would do it. But I would be doing it because I want to start my own little motorcycle shop.
my parents own a warehouse already for a heating and cooling business and I have my own section with my and my dads tool boxs(alot of ******* tools) and we have work bench and a bike lift and its slowly been getting setup and I do service work on the side from my day job in HVAC. eventually I want to open up my own shop or like repair shop because I have been doing side jobs for little while now
thats why I want to go to MMI so I can learn as much as possible and also to have that certificate so when people compare me to a major dealership I can say hey I do have credentials and I am a certified mechanic....
but is it worth 26k....for a little side business shop I want to own.....
Old 12-08-2007, 04:03 PM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

^ Thats a very valid point but I know of 3 different shops in Orlando who have uncertified techs building bikes. One of my riding buddies started out as a shop rat working on the weekends and after school and is now a service writer. You don't need to go to school to work at a shop.
An uncertified tech is also cheaper to pay. I worked in HVACR down here and almost 80% of our guys weren't certified, but they made less money.

Youve got the right idea though, I'd go if I were opening my own shop but **** paying $26 grand to push a broom and clean bikes.

Last edited by silverstunterR6; 12-08-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Jim CrashoBazzi

yea I used to work at a motorcycle shop for awhile and from talking to the different mechanics they didn't make enough money. We had plenty of mechanics who came out of construction and start working as a mechanic work for like 6 months to a year and then quit because they can make twice as much money a year working in construction....I know like master mechanics make decent money but its alot of hoops and time it takes to get there from what I have heard.

Thats why I'm thinking **** I'll stick with HVAC and hope my repair shop grows to where I am actually making decent money off of that too.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:33 PM

wyliekylie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say the smart thing to do would be to call a hand full of dealerships and shops, and ask what the qualifications are for an entry level tech. Im sure that will answer all your decision making questions right there.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 AM

JRex109 is a decent person

i'm starting mmi here in 2 weeks in arizona! my cost = 27,000 for suzuki and honda! non believers go check out the school for yourself! and what about the certified techs with experience?... i wonder who will be hired?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JRex109
i'm starting mmi here in 2 weeks in arizona! my cost = 27,000 for suzuki and honda! non believers go check out the school for yourself! and what about the certified techs with experience?... i wonder who will be hired?
congrats 27,000 for school to make 20,000 a year
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by DURTY-636
congrats 27,000 for school to make 20,000 a year
yup, have fun with that
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM

jsmoke is a decent person

I looked into it. The adviser was a real dick. After I turned in the application he tried to rush me into committing and paying the registration fee. They must get commission cause after told him I was gonna take my time to make a decision he hung up and I haven't talked to him since. Really turned me off of the whole idea.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 AM

KANE>NIN is a decent person

Originally Posted by wyliekylie
I would say the smart thing to do would be to call a hand full of dealerships and shops, and ask what the qualifications are for an entry level tech. Im sure that will answer all your decision making questions right there.
i was gonna goto mmi but first talked to some local dealerships and they said that the certified training didnt really matter much to them. most dealers send there techs to short training coarses to be ceritified anyway.. i also talked to some techs that had been to mmi and they didnt have good things to say about it, bad student to teacher ratio, if the teacher likes u then u get more attention if not ur kinda fucked. have a friend that went for 6months and got kicked out for failing a RANDOM DRUG TEST lost his tuition.. so that made me lean more toward wyotech in daytona.. rather be in Orlando but **** after visiting both wyotech seems like a way nicer school, newer bikes. mmi's bikes just looked like they had been toren apart and put back together all half ***.. wyotech had way nicer shop everything was alot more organized..
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of going to MMI buh to much and I want to do customization and performance for bike no really school.was told to just learn yourself for free.Or head to UtI for Hotrod U class
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM

jbstunts is a decent person

MMI is ****** BULLSHIT. i know several people that have graduated and they still call me to figure **** out. it is the biggest waste of ****** money u could spend. and most dealerships dont give a **** about it because they know that its a ****** joke and you still have to learn real world experience
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM

trickdaddy20 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are good and bad things about MMI first and foremost its is a buisness and they treat it like one not a school they care alot about the money not so much about the students the instructors care about most of the students like he said they random drug test if you fail you have 2 options quit or pay for a rehab like i said they care about money alot as far as price it is 27k but depending on your job before fasfa pays for alot i made 32k a year before i came down after fasfa im only paying around 13k. if you have no mechanical knowledge before hand save your money chances are you wont make it if you do and keep a good attitude and sometime it is hard to you can bring something out of it the way the school is set up there is plenty of ways to copy others work and not learn **** im a lil over half way through and have 2 job offers in charlotte where im from 1 41k and the other is 48k and already have been looked at by honda of america for possible job opps
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

I hear the scene is kinda deal in FL? So far I love it here. It's hot but if you're not a ***** then you'll be fine.. Hardly rains.. no humidity hot girls all over and I bet we got a group of like 10riders that ride together so there's always someone ride with..
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

the $ isn't worth it. find a reputable shop & try to get an apprenticeship
I never went to any school and made more than the majority of techs around here, even the guys wrenching for decades...
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by T-Dubby
I hear the scene is kinda deal in FL? So far I love it here. It's hot but if you're not a ***** then you'll be fine.. Hardly rains.. no humidity hot girls all over and I bet we got a group of like 10riders that ride together so there's always someone ride with..
the scene is not dead it is just some of the people feel like they need to get paid to ride for fun
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 PM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

the scene is not dead it is just some of the people feel like they need to get paid to ride for fun

ha ha ha! :YEAH
Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of going to MMI buh to much and I want to do customization and performance for bike no really school.was told to just learn yourself for free.Or head to UtI for Hotrod U class
Old 09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

FreezeSBFreaks is a decent person

my buddy did the uti program..he got great grades an got accepted into the mercedez program.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

Ah well that's no fun.. Good thing nobody really cares about getting paid. **** they rarely do shows

Quick Reply: Going To Mmi