cutting stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM

JT905 is a decent person
cutting stock exhaust?

has anyone cut a stock gixxer exhaust before...if so how much and is it too loud or is it ok?? picture would help alot too...just want it enough to where it doesnt sound like **** but wont scrape when doin right hand circles
Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cutting stock exhaust?

are you serious? you're seriously asking if anyone has cut down a gixxer exhaust? like 12 milllion people since 2001 have cut exhaust down on that bike.

you have to have an aluminum welder, cut it, re-weld the endcap back on, done. don't cut it super short and it won't be too loud. i only cut a couple inches off my exhausts because i'm smart like that and i've never hit it either way and my bar is up against my seat, so well past 12. microsized exhausts are stupid looking and really loud, so don't get all retarded stunter and cut it so it's like 4" long. just cut about 3" off the can and you'll be ok.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM

y2kmk is an unknown quantity at this point

aluminum welder? ****, sounds tough.

I just chopped my can and riveted the end cap back on, just like factory.

pic: http://a338.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...54882560c9.jpg
Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Sjogs48 is a decent person

i agree.. keep it simple... i cut mine n just riveted the endcap back on. simple
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

hm...you guys are mechanics i take it?

wait, no...because you both have bikes that have riveted end caps...that which suzuki bikes DO NOT HAVE.

hmm..maybe the fact that i work on bikes and have done this should say that i know what i'm talking about. just like on the f4i, it's a welded exhaust so you have to cut it and have to re-weld the end cap back on because there are no rivets.

thanks for the advice though

Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM

So in all your infinite bike mechanic wisdom, you can't pre-drill a hole and pop off 4 rivets in some metal?

And don't be such a dick makes you seem like a ****** ******

Last edited by y2kmk; 11-26-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice

my can is riveted too. No need to weld. The can is short, and sounds just like it would stock length
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Would it even be worth it to cut a stock F4i exhaust, when your scraping straight subframe??

We need to quiet our lot bike down, got a chopped D&D on it... buuuut I think the stock exhaust will be too long, and if we cut it down to about 6 inches, its just gonna be loud right?

btw heres what im workin with.. The exhaust on there now nearly hits the ground lol
Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM

D&D is ******* abnormally loud. Toss that can and put a stock shorty with new packing in it.

I had a D&D on my 99 kawi.. gave that ****** to one guy, who gave it to another.. and i thought i was done with it.

now like 3 people later, my buddy i ride lot with has the ************ on his bike. I thought i had that thing out of my life, seeing as i hadn't seen it in about a year.

He hates it now too, and i think it's sittin in his garage.

anyone want a polished D&D?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM

JT905 is a decent person

Originally Posted by binder929rr
are you serious? you're seriously asking if anyone has cut down a gixxer exhaust? like 12 milllion people since 2001 have cut exhaust down on that bike.

you have to have an aluminum welder, cut it, re-weld the endcap back on, done. don't cut it super short and it won't be too loud. i only cut a couple inches off my exhausts because i'm smart like that and i've never hit it either way and my bar is up against my seat, so well past 12. microsized exhausts are stupid looking and really loud, so don't get all retarded stunter and cut it so it's like 4" long. just cut about 3" off the can and you'll be ok.
well no **** everyones done it im askin the people that have if its extremely loud or not...but your couple inches off answered my question so thank you... cuttin 2 inches off and then going from their
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by y2kmk
D&D is ******* abnormally loud. Toss that can and put a stock shorty with new packing in it.

I had a D&D on my 99 kawi.. gave that ****** to one guy, who gave it to another.. and i thought i was done with it.

now like 3 people later, my buddy i ride lot with has the ************ on his bike. I thought i had that thing out of my life, seeing as i hadn't seen it in about a year.

He hates it now too, and i think it's sittin in his garage.

anyone want a polished D&D?
Did you have your packing in your D&D?

Everyone always says D&D is sooo loud.. Yet when this D&D was full length, it was one of the QUEITEST pipes i've heard on a f4i!

I think something was wrong with my pipe though.. LIke too much packing or something.. Casue seriously it was VERY quiet for a D&D!

But as soon as I cut it, its pretty much like open header lol
Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

the packing may very well have been 'worn out' but it had some in there.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JT905
well no **** everyones done it im askin the people that have if its extremely loud or not...but your couple inches off answered my question so thank you... cuttin 2 inches off and then going from their
Yea bro, sorry.. i think i took between 2.5-3.5" off my can when i cut it.

if anyone can tell me the length of a stock 2000 ninja zx6r can, i can tell ya how much i took off of it :YEAH
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Endo Andy is a decent person

my stock exhaust was alum with a steel, or stainless tip. i don't think those two weld together nicely. i just used self tapping screws. it was the easiest way i think
Old 11-26-2007, 05:56 PM

What an awesome bike mechanic that dude is.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 PM

Endo Andy is a decent person

im sure your pretty awesome yourself
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Scotty7one7 is a decent person

this thread is pissing me off...gixxer cans suck becuz they are not welded or riveted...they have like a rolled lip on them...no biggie...still do the same thing.....u have a 04 can on that assuming...thats the one with the little extra shiny ring on top? u need to cut all those nuts off get whatever off the can u can, then chop it...get the first part rewedged into the original, rivet that in, the go back to the trim chrome ring thing and rivet that back on (so basically u have rivets underneath the trim ring that u wont see now)...theres a couple chambers in the exhaust, dont worry about lining it up, just make sure u cut the champer pipe down at the base of its section so air can move through it...PM if u have any questions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	202989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	202991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	202992  

Last edited by Scotty7one7; 11-26-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Scotty7one7 is a decent person

hm...you guys are mechanics i take it?

wait, no...because you both have bikes that have riveted end caps...that which suzuki bikes DO NOT HAVE.

hmm..maybe the fact that i work on bikes and have done this should say that i know what i'm talking about. just like on the f4i, it's a welded exhaust so you have to cut it and have to re-weld the end cap back on because there are no rivets.

thanks for the advice though

your right about not being riveted from the factory, but it is NOT welded either..u just make rivet holes...u dont have to weld...why waste the money when it can make it look good if u take ur time
Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 PM

blinkybill04 is a decent person

I've got full length carbon looking d&d that is loud as **** full length, if i cut say 1/4 off of it, and stuff the **** out of it with packing or something, do you think that will help? ha ha- btw, is there something hiljack i can use for packing, or do i have to go somewhere and buy something special?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 PM

blip636 is a decent person

i hacked up my yosh pipe.. but thats alright. its tucked nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 219.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	202994  

Quick Reply: cutting stock exhaust?