Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:46 AM

J-Boogie is a decent person
Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?

This is a great Question for all you newbies to look into, trust me this does make a difference.

Do you guys run you rear wheel all the way in ( shortest wheel base)

or all the way out ( longest wheel base)

or in the middle? happy medium.

I ask this because on my 636 i run it int he middle and the bike needs to be straight up 12 to do alot stuff.

where as my old f4i (i dont know where i had it adjusted) i could keep infront of the BP and still combo/ride the bike with mad manipulation.

when i get to XDL i will be looking at a select few riders rear wheel set ups to see where there at just to make sure this is a valid question.

i know no one really pays attention to these small details but these small details help in perfect bike set up.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?

i always try and keep mine as short as possable. but i have been told its too small to make any difference. ah well, i 'll keep running it as far in as i can. figure worse thing is it doesnt do anything so cant be working against me :
Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

it feels a little different all the way in then it does all the way out i have tried both and it seems the further out it is the bigger the sweet spot for a slow twelve and the further in the smaller but it is a subtle difference so i don't sweat it but i do notice it when i tighten my chain
Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger
it feels a little different all the way in then it does all the way out i have tried both and it seems the further out it is the bigger the sweet spot for a slow twelve and the further in the smaller but it is a subtle difference so i don't sweat it but i do notice it when i tighten my chain
so would you say adjusting our 636 rear wheels a little further out gives you more BP much like the f4i.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
www.mxdcages.com

Michael D Rickman is an unknown quantity at this point

iv been doing alot of adjusting with chain tention,wheel adjustment and shock dampening and compression.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by JASON-
so would you say adjusting our 636 rear wheels a little further out gives you more BP much like the f4i.
yes but like you said it's such a small difference that i wouldn't sweat it if i were you
Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Michael D Rickman
iv been doing alot of adjusting with chain tention,wheel adjustment and shock dampening and compression.
i have every thing set stiff and no sag in the suspension seems better for every thing that way wheelies and stoppies
Old 11-22-2007, 11:24 AM

mxmccarter2401 is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
yes but like you said it's such a small difference that i wouldn't sweat it if i were you
yeah it would probably be about as important as how much gas you have in the tank. not much.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 PM
also known as OMR

exactly....
Old 11-22-2007, 02:56 PM

skidmark is a decent person

You ever BMX? Same deal with slamming the back wheel for rollin manuals. Shorter wheelbase is best, but its hardly worth the effort to always keep it up cuz your chain is always stretching so if you want good tension you gotta keep backing it up. With a fresh chain slam the back wheel and go from there
Old 11-22-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael D Rickman
What have you found to be a "a good setup" lemme know mikey, how you been brother.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:34 PM

I have something to say about rear supspension

on my f4i i liked it best soft i could combo like a mad man on it doing almost everything effortlessly, then i stiffened it up and when i was comboing the bike was more apt to unstability.

i have the same issue with my 636 but the 636 benifits with the setting that OMR is talking bout, when my 636 is stiff with no sag i get 10 -14 hc circles left and right when its soft i fight the bike more, but its hard to straigh line combo a 636 like an f4i no matter what suspension setting i have it on.

so im getting another f4i and will ride both 636's and f4i's to have my cake and eat it.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

Originally Posted by mxmccarter2401
yeah it would probably be about as important as how much gas you have in the tank. not much.
Depends at the level you're riding at.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:59 PM
www.mxdcages.com

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
Depends at the level you're riding at.
apex is a very wise man cause we have found it to matter alot, the more super tech. stuff we keep comin up with every little thing helps.

Last edited by Michael D Rickman; 11-22-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: edit
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

so in or out on the f4i whats best and someone told me not to **** with the shock in the rear do you guys run the shock at the stifest setting
Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

**** ive never touched anything on the rear of my 636... axle goes wherever is normal and ive never changed spring preload or settings and didnt think i was missing anything...

if one of you guys knows about the good 636 setup and feels so inclined, please let me know, thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 PM

OCCMUSTANG is an unknown quantity at this point

I always wondered this too. I use to try and keep mine all the way in on my R6. All the way out felt awkward. Back in the days before I could wheelie. When less gas in the tank made it easier for me to get it up. Nowadays I just ride all I worry about is the tension. But I agree with you paying attention to all the little details will help.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM

travisn is a decent person

id have to say correct tension > where the axle is
Old 11-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Halfrican is a decent person

ive always liked my axel all the way in so as short as possible. i notice a huge difference when i clutch out of stuff and i think it just feels better. with the axel all the way out it just seems like it takes more to clutch up and more when the tire is about to hit the ground and you give it gas to rip it back up. Something about the shorter wheel base makes it more gnarly!! :YEAH
Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 AM
www.mxdcages.com

Originally Posted by Halfrican
ive always liked my axel all the way in so as short as possible. i notice a huge difference when i clutch out of stuff and i think it just feels better. with the axel all the way out it just seems like it takes more to clutch up and more when the tire is about to hit the ground and you give it gas to rip it back up. Something about the shorter wheel base makes it more gnarly!! :YEAH
true true

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?