Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 AM

J-Boogie is a decent person
Re: Rear Wheel In? or all the way out? or midle?

for me i like more gas in the tank for certain tricks, that extra weight is used as a counter balance, and then for other trix i make sure my gas level is low cause im a weird rider, i feel every little thing my bike tells me, alot of guys can just ride their bike with no worries about the small details.

i'll tell every one what i have found out

636 = benefits from stiffend shock with a soft damp/rebound

f4i = benefits from a stock damp/rebound but a medium stiffend shock.

if you have an f4i try this at the spot next time

1. do straight line combos with a soft rear end

2. then do all the same combos on a super stiff rear end,

you will all see what im talking about.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point

what size are you guys? not to throw another demension in this, but my bike doesn't know im on it soft or stiff............. the only reason i have my rear stiff is so the underside of my cage wounldn't hit the ground
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i suspect every one that says the soft settings are better are not considering the fact that they probably rode on the soft settings while learning..

they are comfortable with it soft, if they leave there settings on stiff i think they would like it better and better as they get use to it ...

a stiff rear setting is better for stoppies for two reasons,one is the rear is as high as it can be so you don't have to over come the travel in the suspension and two with no sag in the rear it helps keep the front tire from sliding

and as far as combos go a soft rear suspension it takes momentum away from the circle as you turn tight or apply brake in turn you must give it more gas more often and that causes a choppy wheelie not saying you can't be smooth with a soft suspension but if we are talking about how to get every little bit out of you settings then i suggest stiff front stiff rear....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mxmccarter2401
yeah it would probably be about as important as how much gas you have in the tank. not much.
Originally Posted by Nick Apex
Depends at the level you're riding at.
Originally Posted by JASON-
for me i like more gas in the tank for certain tricks, that extra weight is used as a counter balance, and then for other trix i make sure my gas level is low cause im a weird rider, i feel every little thing my bike tells me, alot of guys can just ride their bike with no worries about the small details.
Not only the level of gas, but how it sloshes around in the tank can have an effect. My roomate works next to a company called WeaponMX and they make tank foam that keeps your fuel from smacking the side of your tank.

"1 gallon of gas weighs approx. 6 pounds and the average rider has about 1.5-2 gallons while riding. So while stunting, fuel violently slamming against the walls of your tank can feel like 25-30lbs. This force is tranferred directly to the chassis and is felt throughout the bike"

We have been using it and we gave some to Darius and a few other stunters who report a significant difference. If anyone wants more info on this, check out http://www.gzerofoam.com

Our personal experience shows a difference for all riding, but most noticeable for circles and stoppies - especially 180's

Last edited by SIC Nate; 11-23-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
www.sicriders.com

As far as rear wheel position goes, if you think of it like a pendulum then a longer wheel base would make it harder to get the engine weight up at first, but would provide a wider balance point once up.

I dont know how much of a difference that inch or 2 that we have to play with can make, but i can see it making a big difference for those guys that are running the extended swingarms!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:33 PM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

i find sit down fig 8s real hard after a fuel up, but much easier on near empty... i think all these variables make a big difference but as you are actually riding:

The weather-tempreture changes through the day!
The tires are at different heights and levels of elasticity at different temps!
The gas level changes and so does bp!
If you have a sandwhich in your belly and a **** in your colon then bp is affected!
The monthly bio rythyms of the rider will affect reaction time and concentration levels!
Tire wear!
location!
People (and who they are) watching!
Surface-resistance!
Physical health!
Weight of rider!
And one other billion variables which definately affect the way you and your bike will ride...................

I'm just off to have a nervous breakdown while i try and work it out!!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
www.mxdcages.com

Michael D Rickman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glingglo
i find sit down fig 8s real hard after a fuel up, but much easier on near empty... i think all these variables make a big difference but as you are actually riding:

The weather-tempreture changes through the day!
The tires are at different heights and levels of elasticity at different temps!
The gas level changes and so does bp!
If you have a sandwhich in your belly and a **** in your colon then bp is affected!
The monthly bio rythyms of the rider will affect reaction time and concentration levels!
Tire wear!
location!
People (and who they are) watching!
Surface-resistance!
Physical health!
Weight of rider!
And one other billion variables which definately affect the way you and your bike will ride...................

I'm just off to have a nervous breakdown while i try and work it out!!
bwhahahahahahahaha that was great
Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM
www.mxdcages.com

Originally Posted by SIC Nate
Not only the level of gas, but how it sloshes around in the tank can have an effect. My roomate works next to a company called WeaponMX and they make tank foam that keeps your fuel from smacking the side of your tank.

"1 gallon of gas weighs approx. 6 pounds and the average rider has about 1.5-2 gallons while riding. So while stunting, fuel violently slamming against the walls of your tank can feel like 25-30lbs. This force is tranferred directly to the chassis and is felt throughout the bike"

We have been using it and we gave some to Darius and a few other stunters who report a significant difference. If anyone wants more info on this, check out http://www.gzerofoam.com

Our personal experience shows a difference for all riding, but most noticeable for circles and stoppies - especially 180's
i want to try some foam.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
www.sicriders.com

Originally Posted by Michael D Rickman
i want to try some foam.
Hit up Mike D #2...haha
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

my adjusters were all the way out and I could barly clutch up 3rd gear tank wheelies at redline. then I shorted it a link or 2 so it was all the way in. after that 3rd gear on the tank would clutch up straight to BP without haveing to rev the **** outta it.

I like the rear shock stiff as possible cause it gives a more crisp throttle response. With it soft when you hit the gas it compress's the shock before it affects the height of the wheelie.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 PM
www.mxdcages.com

Originally Posted by SIC Nate
Hit up Mike D #2...haha
ok,he is the only mike d now,im just michael d rickman
Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 AM

Ryan Moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Farius told me I should bring my rear wheel in, so I took a link out of the chain and brought it in. I didn't notice a difference though. It was about an inch.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 AM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

your wife will understand the difference!!!! everyinch matters!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 AM

blizanthimum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glingglo
your wife will understand the difference!!!! everyinch matters!
THATS WHY SHE HAS ME ON THE SIDE! sorry ryan moore
Old 11-25-2007, 05:15 PM

J-Boogie is a decent person

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
my adjusters were all the way out and I could barly clutch up 3rd gear tank wheelies at redline. then I shorted it a link or 2 so it was all the way in. after that 3rd gear on the tank would clutch up straight to BP without haveing to rev the **** outta it.

I like the rear shock stiff as possible cause it gives a more crisp throttle response. With it soft when you hit the gas it compress's the shock before it affects the height of the wheelie.

+1 You feel me on this one then.