Why When I ride a wheelie I sway from side to side

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 05:03 PM

extremehonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Why When I ride a wheelie I sway from side to side

I have this problem when I get up to the balance point or higher THe *** end of the back starts swering back and forth.I don't now why it does it but the only reason I put my wheelie down is because of the sway back and forth.If it didn't do it I could ride them forever. CAN SOME ONE HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME WHY IT IS DOING THIS AND HOW TO FIX THIS.MY email is Tooobs@comcast.net
Old 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
try letting air pressure out of your tires.

you didn't say what type of wheelie, how you pull it up, standing sitting, speed, or anything so i cna't help all that great.

you could be pulling on the bars, you could be crooked on teh seat, putting pressure on one peg (if you are standing), your tire could be out of round, your tire could be unbalanced, there could be wind, you could just wobble (elbows and arms and body weight) or you could have too much tire pressure.

how long have you been practicing? it took me a while to get the wobble out but i got it down now. i had it like a **** when i first started and it's just me but now i'm good. if it's a highway wheelie fast try using 20psi, if you are doing slow stuff, 15psi. i run 15psi almost always and it helps. also the tire could be just old.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:12 PM

I don't now what it is

I am riding them on my knee I put my knee on the seat and stand up I run liek 36psi what ever the tire says I pull them up in first gear and ride them about 65-80mph I can ride them with my girl on the back and it does it real bad I almost recked a couple of times.She is a rider though.I run brand new tires all the time. when I get up in higher rpms it starts I now I am past eh blance point but that shouldn't matter.Let me now I start 12 o soon the only problem I am afriad of dropping my bike all chrome .Pain in the *** some times becaus of all the money.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:19 PM
back in the saddle again

you aren't past the balance point, trust me...if you were, you would be draggin tail doing a 12.

36 psi is way way way too much. also, the high rpms cause the engine to be twitchy so you might get wobble that way. if you are blipping the throttle then that would cause it also, you want a solid open throttle and use the brake.

what do you mean by your knee is in the seat? do you not have both feet on the pegs or what? because if you are gettinga wobble, you need to go back to learning basic wheelies before taking a foot of the peg, that is a lot harder to control the side to side weight.

and balance point or no balance point, you wo'nt wobble side to side if everything is correct. it's just harder to balance the higher you get.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I Love To Post!

WETPAVEMENT is a decent person
DONT run brandnew tires and slow down. It will stop trust me. Everyone is always complaining about the shake from an R1 during wheelies...........little do they know this is the secret to stop it.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:33 PM
back in the saddle again

Everyone is always complaining about the shake from an R1 during wheelies...........little do they know this is the secret to stop it.
ya, buy a 929
Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 PM

-Eric- is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so whats the secret, besides buying a 929, cause i already have that. i ride with a few guys with R1's, and they were talking about this just last night.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM

Thanks I will try it next week I am going to the track to ride on the track.I will run like 20psi in it and see what happens I will let you just check my thread.I can ride a regular wheeile but I take one foot off and put it on th seat and kneel on the seat I can balance better than sitting down.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:33 AM
back in the saddle again

doing that makes it harder to balance side to side.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:06 AM

sercret to doing a good stoppie evry time some times I do them high then low what mile per hour do you start preloading and what mph do you start using the brake and how do you use the brake the right way?
Old 06-07-2003, 05:02 PM
back in the saddle again

it's hard to say. it depends on my runway and the ***** i have.

usually for our comps we have here i enter the stoppie about 60mph and i try to get them as high as possible as fast as possible. i bounce mine up. The only problem is that i keep getting headshake if i go really high to the balance point while i'm still going fast.