New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Bill McMahon is a decent person
Re: New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
props to everyone who has contrubuted to this thread.

I know roger woulda had something designed if bill didn't beat him to it.

Bill you are my hero. I'm have been so bummed out the past few days over this. I was about to say screw it and sell the 3 636's I own and switch to honda.

Thank you so much for this modification.

I read what john legion wrote" Is the sleeve going to stop from the fork tube from seperating from the lower fork leg? or is this just going to prevent the tube from breaking in half?

I know on the 03/04 tubes both situations have happend.

dammit I wish I was online earlier I woulda beat that other guy and had a set of 05/06 forks in the mail today to be the first set.

I was going to list all of my 636 forks on ebay tonight thank go I read the awsome news.

Ok now i'm motivated to go ride in the cold tonight and get crazy

i'll be in touch soon bill:YEAH
The cast aluminum axle clamp is essentially a cup with internal threads in it to secure itself and the lower slider together. There is a bolt that goes through the bottom of it but it is only there to secure the damper assembly (the damper works like a steering damper, with one end secured to the axle clamp and the other secured to the top fork cap/preload adj. assembly).

When the thin walled lower slider flexes under braking, it becomes egg shaped. This would also stress and distort the round shape of the cast aluminum axle clamp where the two thread together. As the two parts are distorted, the threads are stressed and I can see how after many cycles of this occouring the threads would be beat to the point that the lower slider could come loose (if the stress cycles hadn't caused the lower slider to fracture first).

With the sleeve installed the lower slider can't flex (as the sleeve goes all the way down into the bottom of the axle clamp where the lower slider bottoms out) and therefore can't be distorted in shape to put stress on the axleclamp and eventually cause it to fail. The sleeve addresses both issues.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bill McMahon
PM Sent
never got it
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
the reason some get loose is because they were not threaded all the way down so this will take care of both problems because im sure bill will get them tight and use some sort of thread lock along with the sleeve to keep the tube from snapping
I think initially they would have been threaded all the way down and secured with the set screw, but as they flex they just work loose over time. Good looking out Roger, as long as we can keep them tight we can keep them safe.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by T-NECK
never got it

Sorry, I started to send it and got tied up.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 PM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

got all of that bill thanks for the explanation. Seems pretty full proof to me.
what a relief this is.

your gonna be rich dude. Everyone is gonna send you there forks. I know I am.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Paul is an unknown quantity at this point

I see how that insert will reinforce the fork tube in the problem spot,but will it just move the weak point further up the slider and break above the insert,or is the problem just because of the way the fork bottoms attach and not due to a weak or brittle slider material?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the smooth part of the slider cannot break, the slider breaks because it has threads which weakens the bottom.

The fork getting loose could be the first sign that the metal is starting to give. When it's just tightened, it can still go when it's tight..

I think this sleeve is good idea. It can still work loose, but it's probably lot safer for the driver.?

I think the sleeve needs to be quite thin, so it doesn't interfere with the spring. and also it's good that it has some flex so it devides the forces and doesn't create pressure point where it ends.

Also when bike is doing endo the fork is almoust completely compressed, then this sleev is inside the top part and it's solid.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Paul
I see how that insert will reinforce the fork tube in the problem spot,but will it just move the weak point further up the slider and break above the insert,or is the problem just because of the way the fork bottoms attach and not due to a weak or brittle slider material?
The lower slider is 22" long, the upper slider is over 20" long. If you could measure from where the lower slider sits when it is bottomed out in the axle clamp you'd get almost 28". When the two pieces are assebled The two tubes overlap eachother almost entirely except for the 5" of suspension travel. The insert is 10.5" long. is extends nearly 4" into the upper tube when the fork has no load on it. the sleeve is a permanent part of the lower axle clamp and slider assembly at this point. As the lower slider moves into the upper when being compressed, the length of the insert shouded by the upper tube increases with the travel of the fork. Not only is the lower tube supported by the upper tube above the insert, but the upper tube is supported by the lower triple clamp. There is only a few inches between the top of the sleeve and the portion of the upper slider supported by the lower triple.

To make a short answer long the area of lower fork tube above the sleeve will not be a potential break point because it is too well reinforced by the upper slider which is being reinforced by the lower triple. The forks were braking in the first place because over the several inches that the lower tube was not shrouded by the upper during a stoppie they were distorting in shape under load due to a combination of a thin diameter lower tube (nearly two mm smaller than other inverted forks available) and a thin wall thickness. By reinforcing the lower tube we are stopping it from distorting in shape under load which was causing the axleclamp to distort and eventually compromising the threads or simply breaking the lower slider after enough stress cycles.

Originally Posted by Jaket
I think the sleeve needs to be quite thin, so it doesn't interfere with the spring. and also it's good that it has some flex so it devides the forces and doesn't create pressure point where it ends.

Also when bike is doing endo the fork is almoust completely compressed, then this sleev is inside the top part and it's solid.

The sleeve resides underneath the damper coments. It never comes in contact with anything except the inside diameter of the lower tube, whether the fork is at rest or fully compressed. The sleeve could have actually have been made thicker but added too much unnesscessary weight and I deemed over-kill. In it's current incarnation the sleeve is still stronger than it needs to be (something I shoot for with everything Fullthrottle builds) while not adding enough weight to be significant.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 AM

fatboystuntz will become famous soon enough

im assuming that on my spare set of forks my left bottom is starting to leakin, which means the stuctural integrity is starting to break down, and wpretty worthless to get this done correct??

if so i will just look for a 05-06 set and have them done
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Sorry Paul, I failed to address the last part of your question. In regards to the way the fork bottoms/axle clamps attach, they just thread in and seal the tube at the end with an o-ring. There is a redundant set screw in the side in the KYB forks, but otherwise they are the same across the board between KYB and Showa. I think the only reason you see these forks failing and not others is because as I mentioned, these forks are the longest available and they use the thinnest diameter lower slider with the thinnest wall available. Other forks (like the 929/954) have a lower tube with nearly as thin of a side wall, but the the diameter of the lower tube is larger which adds alot of strength and the length is shorter which reduces the stress that it has to handle.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Paul is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Paul, I failed to address the last part of your question. In regards to the way the fork bottoms/axle clamps attach, they just thread in and seal the tube at the end with an o-ring. There is a redundant set screw in the side in the KYB forks, but otherwise they are the same across the board between KYB and Showa. I think the only reason you see these forks failing and not others is because as I mentioned, these forks are the longest available and they use the thinnest diameter lower slider with the thinnest wall available. Other forks (like the 929/954) have a lower tube with nearly as thin of a side wall, but the the diameter of the lower tube is larger which adds alot of strength and the length is shorter which reduces the stress that it has to handle.
Gotcha I didn't realize that the insert extends that far up that it actually rienforces the whole lower slider not just the fork bottoms.That should make for one hell of a set of forks!Definately wont have to worry about breaking that!Nice job and thank's for the response.:YEAH
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by fatboystuntz
im assuming that on my spare set of forks my left bottom is starting to leakin, which means the stuctural integrity is starting to break down, and wpretty worthless to get this done correct??

if so i will just look for a 05-06 set and have them done
Another option would be to replace the lower slider and axleclamp with one from the dealership. I called on it, retail is nearly $400 on that part. It would be a close race between which is cheapest, that part or a set of used forks.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Gotcha I didn't realize that the insert extends that far up that it actually rienforces the whole lower slider not just the fork bottoms.That should make for one hell of a set of forks!Definately wont have to worry about breaking that!Nice job and thank's for the response.:YEAH
Exactly. In the picture I'm holding the end of the tape measure where the lowertube and sleeve bottom in the axle clamp. As the sleeve is 10.5 inches long, so even when the forks are off the bike it still goes several inches into the upper slider.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10 and a half inches.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	202152  
Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM

fatboystuntz will become famous soon enough

Another option would be to replace the lower slider and axleclamp with one from the dealership. I called on it, retail is nearly $400 on that part. It would be a close race between which is cheapest, that part or a set of used forks.
yea it would be close..i think i can find a set of forks for a bit cheaper...and see what cost is on that part form my dealer...either way i am goin to be sending you a set of forks on the near future
Old 11-08-2007, 02:05 PM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the UK and European bikes made in the same factory? as iv never heard anyone snapping them over here!?! just a thought as some of the guys have been using them in europe since 03!

Anyone know if they are all japan imports or assembled locally as your 03 has a different model name to mine!?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Stubbz is an unknown quantity at this point

what if you were to take apart the stock forks before getting them too far into stunting and add some thread lock to the lower section versus doing this right away, i took my front wheel off just to check that set screw and mine was corroded in there and wasn't moving at all, but at the same time i have been thinking a lot about just getting a set of 07 zx6r forks cuz i dont want to take the chance, but maybe instead of doing that it'd be cheaper to do this to my stock 03 636 forks because they only have 7K miles on um and basically all street stuntin miles for past 1K or so, before that i think it was rode by a kid that couldn't get the front wheel up let alone stunt it
Old 11-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

awesome , one more thing I m wondering 05 R1 will just work on 636 triples tree to just slide in and tight it up ?

of course it has to be with wheel , rotors and brake caliper.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 AM

Tomi_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glingglo
Are the UK and European bikes made in the same factory? as iv never heard anyone snapping them over here!?! just a thought as some of the guys have been using them in europe since 03!

Anyone know if they are all japan imports or assembled locally as your 03 has a different model name to mine!?
I haven't heard of broken forks yet in europe. My forks are leaking from the threads, so i quess they are weakening. And i'm going to get my forks done with this mod.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

DURTY has a spectacular aura aboutDURTY has a spectacular aura about

i had my 04 forks for 2 seasons didnt snap.................

can someone post a pic of were they snap and is the problem that the threading strips loose???

Last edited by DURTY; 11-13-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

durty every thing you asked for has been covered in this thread go back and start at the beginning

Quick Reply: New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636