New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Bill McMahon is a decent person
Re: New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636

John and Roger, we must think alike. Nasty left his 636 at my shop for the week and I was really interested in this problem. About 4 years ago I made a 954 front end fit a 2003 sportster 883R. I only used the fork legs and retained the factory front wheel and fender. In order to do this I made billet axle clamps (complete with the proper damping adjuster) and used radial calipers as back then they were just coming out on sportbikes and were kind of a big deal. Naturally I had to make upper and lower clamps for this all to work but that's besides the point. In doing so I got to know my way around the inside of various forks pretty well because the 954's were too short so I ended up using other KYB or Showa forks before I ended up with a pair that fit my needs.

So anyway, short story long, being interested in this problem I disassembled Nasty's forks and found that there is indeed room for a steel sleeve to prevent the lowers from breaking. I installed a cnc turned and ground sleeve and it worked out great. It goes an inch and a half down into the axle clamp and nearly 4 inches up into the top slider (that's with the fork tube off the bike). I used a 3/16 side wall to ensure it would be stronger than it has to be, but didn't want to go any thicker than that with an eye towards weight (the sleeve adds 2.3 pounds to the assembled fork). I've been working on this since he'd left his bike here on Monday but it's been worth it as I believe this solution will completely eliminate the incidence of a lower tube snapping and is much more practical than replacing an entire front end.

I hope you guys don't think I scooped you, I initially began disassembling the front end with the idea of turning and grinding a heavier lower slider, but due to the limited clearance at the top of the tube (due to the damping components and the bottom of the spring) a precision sleeve just made more sense.

I'm offering this service to the public here:
http://www.fullthrottleinc.net/store...roducts_id/198
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DCAM0001.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	202113   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner 2.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	202114   Click image for larger version

Name:	its thin.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	202115   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeve.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	202116   Click image for larger version

Name:	hd2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	202117  

Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

damn ........your too fast you bastard

there goes my new business
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

GEEZUS it was killing me reading this thread and holding that info till the pics where up

ahhh good work bill
Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

I forgot to mention, if someone has a leaky seal I'll replace them both for an additonal $25 while I'm in there. I would just do it anyway but with so many of these bikes only being a few years old an low miles it doesn't make sense to charge everyone for seals considering you don't damage them durning sleeving and most don't need them. Then again, if you do need them, this is a good way to hit two birds with one stone.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

so basically its reinforcement of the tube.....thank you bill when i go to rebulid my bike....this is a must have mod:YEAH
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by Bill McMahon
John and Roger, we must think alike. Nasty left his 636 at my shop for the week and I was really interested in this problem. About 4 years ago I made a 954 front end fit a 2003 sportster 883R. I only used the fork legs and retained the factory front wheel and fender. In order to do this I made billet axle clamps (complete with the proper damping adjuster) and used radial calipers as back then they were just coming out on sportbikes and were kind of a big deal. Naturally I had to make upper and lower clamps for this all to work but that's besides the point. In doing so I got to know my way around the inside of various forks pretty well because the 954's were too short so I ended up using other KYB or Showa forks before I ended up with a pair that fit my needs.

So anyway, short story long, being interested in this problem I disassembled Nasty's forks and found that there is indeed room for a steel sleeve to prevent the lowers from breaking. I installed a cnc turned and ground sleeve and it worked out great. It goes an inch and a half down into the axle clamp and nearly 4 inches up into the top slider (that's with the fork tube off the bike). I used a 3/16 side wall to ensure it would be stronger than it has to be, but didn't want to go any thicker than that with an eye towards weight (the sleeve adds 2.3 pounds to the assembled fork). I've been working on this since he'd left his bike here on Monday but it's been worth it as I believe this solution will completely eliminate the incidence of a lower tube snapping and is much more practical than replacing an entire front end.

I hope you guys don't think I scooped you, I initially began disassembling the front end with the idea of turning and grinding a heavier lower slider, but due to the limited clearance at the top of the tube (due to the damping components and the bottom of the spring) a precision sleeve just made more sense.

I'm offering this service to the public here:

Like i said in the other thread! SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

Way to be on top of things FAST bill!!!

I'll be talking to you very soon!!!

Bill and Fullthrottleinc.com for PRES.!!!

Last edited by John LegionST; 11-07-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
damn ........your too fast you bastard

there goes my new business
Who needs a new business, you've got a great reputation for subcages and you proabably still have time to ride
Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Who needs a new business, you've got a great reputation for subcages and you proabably still have time to ride
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

hahah hows that ufo comming along bill? is my bike gona fly by time i get it back?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 PM

glingglo is an unknown quantity at this point

but think of the poor 636 owners in the UKwho are crying at the moment... bill is toooo far away!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Originally Posted by glingglo
but think of the poor 636 owners in the UKwho are crying at the moment... bill is toooo far away!
might cost you a bit extra $$$ in shipping and a little extra time... but seriously, isnt that worth your life... (or preventing a nasty crash and hospital time)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sucks he is far away, but still MORE than worth it!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

how much to send in my 07 forks bill?? shoot me a pm buddy! I need seals replaced too! hahaha
Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by glingglo
No worries Brits! (or anywhere else for that matter)

If you read the description, you'll note that Fullthrottleinc pays for shipping of the container to your door to pick up your forks and to the shop to rebuild them. All you pay for is shipping after they are rebuilt regardless of location. You'll still pay the same price as everyone else, you'll just pay more to have them shipped back.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John LegionST
might cost you a bit extra $$$ in shipping and a little extra time... but seriously, isnt that worth your life... (or preventing a nasty crash and hospital time)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sucks he is far away, but still MORE than worth it!!!
That it is!!! very worth it. If I coulda spent the money to prevent my fork snappin incident I would have FOR SURE!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

props to everyone who has contrubuted to this thread.

I know roger woulda had something designed if bill didn't beat him to it.

Bill you are my hero. I'm have been so bummed out the past few days over this. I was about to say screw it and sell the 3 636's I own and switch to honda.

Thank you so much for this modification.

I read what john legion wrote" Is the sleeve going to stop from the fork tube from seperating from the lower fork leg? or is this just going to prevent the tube from breaking in half?

I know on the 03/04 tubes both situations have happend.

dammit I wish I was online earlier I woulda beat that other guy and had a set of 05/06 forks in the mail today to be the first set.

I was going to list all of my 636 forks on ebay tonight thank go I read the awsome news.

Ok now i'm motivated to go ride in the cold tonight and get crazy

i'll be in touch soon bill:YEAH
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

No worries Brits! (or anywhere else for that matter)

If you read the description, you'll note that Fullthrottleinc pays for shipping of the container to your door to pick up your forks and to the shop to rebuild them. All you pay for is shipping after they are rebuilt regardless of location. You'll still pay the same price as everyone else, you'll just pay more to have them shipped back.

You listed 03-04 does this work on 05-06 forks as well? I got a leaking fork seal. might as well have this done at the same time
Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by T-NECK
how much to send in my 07 forks bill?? shoot me a pm buddy! I need seals replaced too! hahaha

PM Sent
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Division1 Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point

PM Sent
I sent u a pm too (cough)
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

fatboystuntz will become famous soon enough

im still scared to death over the 03-4 front end...

maybe ill pick up 05-06 and have the sleeve done...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
also known as OMR

I read what john legion wrote" Is the sleeve going to stop from the fork tube from seperating from the lower fork leg? or is this just going to prevent the tube from breaking in half?
the reason some get loose is because they were not threaded all the way down so this will take care of both problems because im sure bill will get them tight and use some sort of thread lock along with the sleeve to keep the tube from snapping

Quick Reply: New Thread for 636 forks /looking for new forks to put on 636