slipper clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 PM

zxcraig is a decent person
slipper clutch

so i got about 150 miles on the 08 zx6r and finally decided to clutch it up,,,,, well attempt to. when i hit 2nd gear 6k rpm i clutched it and it didnt hardly do ****,,, never had any probs with my f4i, 06 636, or 05 600rr. the clutch didnt grab hard like my old bikes. like it slowley engaged the clutch and i dumped it hard, this is my first bikh with a slipper,, is this normal???? took about 4 trys to get it up right. had to use way more throttle... what gives????
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person
Re: slipper clutch

Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 PM

??? wow i figured everyone would be on this???
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 PM

cjstunts is an unknown quantity at this point

im pretty sure all a slipper clutch effects is downshifts and decel, but what the **** do i know. lol
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 PM

cbaquol is a decent person

ive got a slipper on my r6 and once in a while it just wont come up and the revs jump way high untill you let off (almost like the wheel was spinning but its not) but 9 out of 10 times it comes up fine.....from what i understand the slipper only affects the downshifting and backpressure
Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 PM

bornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the rough

yea.. i never quite understood how it feels to have a slipper clutch , and what it does for a bike....some1 posted a pic of rossi doing a SS all squidly looking and stuff... and some1 sed its caz he has a slipper clutch and that meant his bike wouldnt have any engine braking. and we know he aint got a handbrake so ................... ???

So whats the real deal with the slipper?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

05/06 636 has a slipper clutch too and has nothing to do on the effect of clutch up.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

the real deal is that if no one told you it has a slipper clutch you will never know the difference. never had any effect on my 636 and ive ridden the gsxrs a bunch of times and has no effect. maybe if you dump the clutch on decel at like 12k rpms you can feel the impact but as for regular riding and stunting no effect.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 PM

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
A slipper clutch (also known as a back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners. They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction. This is especially noted on larger displacement four-stroke engines, which have greater engine braking than their two-stroke or smaller displacement counterparts. Slipper clutches eliminate this extra loading on the rear suspension giving riders a more predictable ride and minimize the risk of over-revving the engine during downshifts. Slipper clutches can also prevent a catastrophic rear wheel lockup in case of engine seizure or transmission failure. Generally, the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch is adjustable to suit the application.
Slipper clutches have been used in most high displacement four stroke racing motorcycles since the early 1980s. Honda introduced the slipper clutch with the debut of the FWS1000 in 1982 at Daytona, but it failed because the design wore out the clutch. Slipper clutches were also used in Honda's 750 Interceptor factory superbikes that same year. Before long slipper clutches could be found in nearly every big bore four-stroke race bike. Slipper clutches are now gradually being factory installed on production four-stroke motorcycles such as the Aprilia RSV Mille, Yamaha YZF-R6 2006-2008, Yamaha YZF-R1 SP 2006 , Yamaha YZF-R1 2007 , Kawasaki ZX-10R, Suzuki GSX-R1000 2005-2007, Harley Davidson V-Rod VRSC 2008, and are available as retrofit for many other models.
Slipper clutches have also been used to a lesser extent on automobiles, primarily those powered by motorcycle engines. They can also be found on racing remote control cars.
One-way sprag-type clutches have also been used for the same purpose, but are generally not adjustable for disengagement force.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
the real deal is that if no one told you it has a slipper clutch you will never know the difference. never had any effect on my 636 and ive ridden the gsxrs a bunch of times and has no effect. maybe if you dump the clutch on decel at like 12k rpms you can feel the impact but as for regular riding and stunting no effect.

+1
Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 PM

bornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the roughbornreadybc is a jewel in the rough

word.... thanx...
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 PM

had a 06 636 and had no prob at all.... may have been in my head who know's?????? but now its too fu--ing cold to ride!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cbaquol
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
A slipper clutch (also known as a back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners. They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction. This is especially noted on larger displacement four-stroke engines, which have greater engine braking than their two-stroke or smaller displacement counterparts. Slipper clutches eliminate this extra loading on the rear suspension giving riders a more predictable ride and minimize the risk of over-revving the engine during downshifts. Slipper clutches can also prevent a catastrophic rear wheel lockup in case of engine seizure or transmission failure. Generally, the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch is adjustable to suit the application.
Slipper clutches have been used in most high displacement four stroke racing motorcycles since the early 1980s. Honda introduced the slipper clutch with the debut of the FWS1000 in 1982 at Daytona, but it failed because the design wore out the clutch. Slipper clutches were also used in Honda's 750 Interceptor factory superbikes that same year. Before long slipper clutches could be found in nearly every big bore four-stroke race bike. Slipper clutches are now gradually being factory installed on production four-stroke motorcycles such as the Aprilia RSV Mille, Yamaha YZF-R6 2006-2008, Yamaha YZF-R1 SP 2006 , Yamaha YZF-R1 2007 , Kawasaki ZX-10R, Suzuki GSX-R1000 2005-2007, Harley Davidson V-Rod VRSC 2008, and are available as retrofit for many other models.
Slipper clutches have also been used to a lesser extent on automobiles, primarily those powered by motorcycle engines. They can also be found on racing remote control cars.
One-way sprag-type clutches have also been used for the same purpose, but are generally not adjustable for disengagement force.

forget all that BS...

the only thing it's for and that you'd notice is on high rpm down shifting tire lock up.