Pointers from various sponsors.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of
Pointers from various sponsors.

I can offer you guys the same suggestions I got. Before some hater pops out with what a crappy businesswoman I am, know that I am thinking long term, and I'm in it partially for the money and partially to do something I love for a living.

The sponsors are interested in competitive performance, and exposure, but their cheif complaint was the pro racers concentrate solely on that aspect of their characters. They don't mention what else, if anything, they do for a living. They don't mention their community involvement or other interests. And these things are also important. Not because the sponsors all need new friends, either.

They want a glimpse at the individual and his character. A deal where someone lends their company name to you is huge, they risk their reputation on your behavior. It's good to find a way to express to the sponsor you're "courting" that you recognize and value their image, and demonstrate that you actually know what image they are trying to project. (ie, blah blah incorporated has a long history of sponsoring athletes who are good role models, which is why I am petitioning to represent your company. I believe strongly that my professional conduct and strong values will reflect well on your committment to setting a high standard for professional athletes")

Some companies, if not all, expect you to have a clean record and to keep it clean.

Even the more urban/street type companies, at least the big ones, expect to see that you know the difference between your hard image, and your personal conduct.

Other than that they want to know the standard, how you are ranking competitively, if you're an exhibition rider, how many shows you've done, before what sized crowds. Televised footage of any sort is good, dvd appearances (though I'd be careful to keep the street footage underground for resume purposes) magazine coverage and plans for the future. Bear in mind a big sponsor can and will put you in front of even bigger crowds. They want to see that you've performed, but they don't really need you to find the crowds for them, just make the crowds they have scream and get bigger.

Fanbase expansion is a big deal, so hitting up sponsors is too. The more applicants the merrier. The bigger you look as a sport, the bigger you get as a sport. It benefits everyone.

I encourage you all to seek out both obvious industry sponsors, as well as advertising companies. You can market your unique skills to the ad hacks who make the commercials that sell the products.

Cold drop resumes on companies. Look up various companies online, look at their contacts, pr department is often a good start, write down the name of someone listed as the pr contact you can call them and ask for the name of whomever is in charge of rider support, or in an outside industrialist, just send your resume to pr, or call and ask who is in charge of handling athletic sponsorships. The corporate offices mailing address is usually on that same "contact us," page. If you just send in your resume, address it to the name of the person listed as PR or Marketing.

Do it over and over and hope to hear back from one.

Good luck guys. If I recall something I've forgotten I'll post it.

Last edited by excessa; 09-04-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 PM
www.cycletreads.co.nz

Kevmo7 is a decent person
Re: Pointers from various sponsors.

thats some hardcore shizzle right there.. haha

its pretty confusing but i suppose i get what your tryin to say..
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

[T-Roy] is an unknown quantity at this point

cliffnotes??
Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fiddypimp
cliffnotes??
Who you are, what you do ie comps, exhibitions, in front of how many people, media exposure, what kind of person you are, what you want to do in the coming year, and thatyou know how to conduct yourself like a professional. How much support you are looking for.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 AM

PLAYA-P will become famous soon enoughPLAYA-P will become famous soon enough

How to land a sponsor ?? most kids figured that out racing mx, carts, sprints.....what made ya wakeup and decide to post this?? not hating just curious
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by PLAYA-P
How to land a sponsor ?? most kids figured that out racing mx, carts, sprints.....what made ya wakeup and decide to post this?? not hating just curious
I've been writing the same PM again and again.

It's hard for me to break down stuff I basically just learned, and didn't get in list form, I got it in "phone conversation" form.

I think some guys here haven't played pro sports at all, and others may just need a little encouragement to send it off.

Send it off, don't worry, if they're interested they'll call you for more info.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 AM

If you're referring to the racers, most of them come with good looking resumes, but they do tend to leave out the personal data and fixate overly much on performance. They'll find three different ways to tell you they're 6th in the standings and leave out the fact that they're a baby seal clubber on the offs.

(jp about the seal clubber, no one I know clubs seals)
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM

PLAYA-P will become famous soon enoughPLAYA-P will become famous soon enough

Ok at seal clubbing