flat VS round bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
flat VS round bar

i run a round bar and i've tried scrapin twice and have lost control of the bike both times...same **** with my buddy on his zx6r. we both run si round bars, he fucked up his elbow doing so and now he's out for a week or 2.

anyway, i was talkin to some peeps at the stunt spot tonight and they said the flat is easier to scrape, cause the round is tryin to find a place to sit so u gotta keep adjusting ur body.

i always thought that from easiest to hardest was

tail > round > flat ?

comments...comments....
Old 08-30-2007, 07:28 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: flat VS round bar

The people at your spot are dumb. Hit a flat bar sideways and see what happens.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:29 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

No offense, but if a round bar is bucking you off the bike.. Perhaps you aren't ready to be scraping
Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by nags
No offense, but if a round bar is bucking you off the bike.. Perhaps you aren't ready to be scraping

ahhh come on!!!! i just tried 2wice , don't wanna end up like my bud so i thought i'd do some research before tryin it again.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
i run a round bar and i've tried scrapin twice and have lost control of the bike both times...same **** with my buddy on his zx6r. we both run si round bars, he fucked up his elbow doing so and now he's out for a week or 2.

anyway, i was talkin to some peeps at the stunt spot tonight and they said the flat is easier to scrape, cause the round is tryin to find a place to sit so u gotta keep adjusting ur body.

i always thought that from easiest to hardest was

tail > round > flat ?

comments...comments....
thats funny cause I always crashed (ALWAYS) with a flat bar. I had run my bike barless for like a year and put a SI round bar on the other weekend. That thing slides straighter than a flat bar I scraped a ss from like 20mph to a stop and I have never felt so stable on the bar Thats weird.
I guess different strokes for different folks
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by SKETCHY146
thats funny cause I always crashed (ALWAYS) with a flat bar. I had run my bike barless for like a year and put a SI round bar on the other weekend. That thing slides straighter than a flat bar I scraped a ss from like 20mph to a stop and I have never felt so stable on the bar Thats weird.
lol

really?

i'm ****** HOPING that the round bar is better....cause this bad boi is my commuter also and i don't wanna ride around with a flat bar, the round bar looks SOOO much cleaner!:YEAH
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
lol

really?

i'm ****** HOPING that the round bar is better....cause this bad boi is my commuter also and i don't wanna ride around with a flat bar, the round bar looks SOOO much cleaner!:YEAH
any bike I've had for a commuter turns quickly into a pile of ****

The round bar is better in general unless you wanna do apehangers and ****. I wanna see somebody do a apehanger with a roundbar
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

the guys at ur spot dont know ****. the round bar is much, much safer. the flat bar has to be planted perfectly flat or it will kick the bike to side. with the round bar, the bike may lean from side to side when ur scraping but that just means u have to learn to balance the ****. a flat bar isnt gonna balance the bike for u if u scrape.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

Simple way of looking at it, flat bar more metal on the ground more friction and more area to **** up on, round bar less metal on ground less friction less area to **** up on
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

if you scrape ur round bar enough, then it will end up kind of flat anyway! just keep practicing...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by -ChaOs-
Simple way of looking at it, flat bar more metal on the ground more friction and more area to **** up on, round bar less metal on ground less friction less area to **** up on
actually, i think it has more to do with the shape of the bars and the dynamics of the actual scrape versus the area. (this applies most to someone who's not balancing the bike properly) a flat surface, such as the tip of the flat bar, wont drag as smoothly on the concrete as a round surface. when the bike leans to the right or left and the tip of the flat bar scrapes, the area of contact is minimal, yet it's more likely to "catch" the rough concrete surface, thus throwing the bike off balance more.

didn't mean to get technical. cant help it sometimes.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe that YEAR OF RIDING in between has upped your skills and MAYBE you could kill it now on any bar ?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

Same thought just more technical i guess, round bars have less contact surface, flats have more and are also square so the likelyness of catching a corner is greater. Either way if you have problems with a round bar nags is right you are probably not ready for scrapes
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

I wanna see somebody do a apehanger with a roundbar
it's not that hard....

we need to add that to the list...you might be a squid if...you scrape a round bar and crash.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

my flat bar was so tweaked i'd corkscrew everytime
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by -ChaOs-
Same thought just more technical i guess, round bars have less contact surface, flats have more and are also square so the likelyness of catching a corner is greater. Either way if you have problems with a round bar nags is right you are probably not ready for scrapes

****, i just read my **** and damn i sound long winded. i hope i dont sound like that when i'm on dates and ****.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

Originally Posted by Trachito

****, i just read my **** and damn i sound long winded. i hope i dont sound like that when i'm on dates and ****.

HA HA HA!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

What spot were you at?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

I like flat bar, Ive probably scraped a couple thousand times (literaly) and havent wrecked yet. when I first put it on one side was 1/4in. farther out than the other side and I just scraped it till it was even.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

i made my own round bar...now it has nice flat spot you can almost park it and leave it...

but id suggest you to kill a tail or two before putting a bar...

Quick Reply: flat VS round bar