choked under pressure...sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point
choked under pressure...sort of...

first off....I suck and I know I suck....I'm not trying to come off as some pro who was out killin the streets.
I'm a newb who's just gettin my slows under control... I practice alone almost always... well....tonight I hooked up with a couple local guys in the small town where i live... and they know i've been working on this ...but they've never seen me (and i've purposely not let anyone around here see me in my learnin curve...so they wouldnt see the squidly chasers etc that came in the beginning)
Well...were ridin some backroads...and I've been feeling pretty consistent my last few times out.... So I busted a few nice 2nd gear 35 -40 mph stand-ups and held em steady for as long as the road would allow...then i went to show them where my Slows were at (the 10-15 mph first gear stand-ups ) and I hit abunch of them that were...ok... and those guys thought it was pretty cool.

BUT !!! I felt like they were NOT up to par with the ones I'd been hittin prior to that I was only maintaining them for like half of my normal distance....like 200 feet instead of 400 or 500....Plus they were all wobbly and choppy.... I THINK I WAS CHOKING UNDER PRESSURE !! I kept checkin my mirrors ....making sure they werent gonna run me over.... then i was hoping I wasn't holding them up (just dilly dallying around on backroads at 15 mph...lol) I was just distracted or something....OR ...I was trying so hard to bust out a great one ...that I fatigued my hands out ...or something ....I just was not as smooth and steady as I usually am by myself....
Does this happen to anyone else ???
Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 PM

bdc_Marky is a decent person
Re: choked under pressure...sort of...

ive had a couple times where i was trying to impress a bunch of people and ended up looking stupid. you just have to relax and let your body do everything instead of thinking about it. at least you didnt do anything stupid in front of a bunch of girls
Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

I do that **** too when I learn new tricks. I realized I was just trying to cram the tricks in, just keep practicing and you'll lock it! See before you have a trick "locked" you still think about it while your doing it, once its "locked" its literally second nature.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Location: might as well be the ocean, from so many squids... TENN.
12urMOM is a decent person

you should come to jackson.... it is in between memphis and nashville on I-40
Old 08-16-2007, 11:43 PM

burnfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe practice with a couple people around to get used to someone watching you.....its good to have someone around anyways....i went down a while back when i was by myself and laid on the ground with a peg through my leg, then luckily someone showed up and took me to the hospital
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
soon to be retired

Originally Posted by 12urMOM
do you ride with Mickey ? I talked to him here on SL a couple times...figure i'll make it over there before the end of the year sometime....i'd love to ride with people that I could see some new cool **** in person.

DLish...." On Lock ".....YES ...that is what Im shooting for :YEAH
Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 PM

Joker is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with you on that man. When I am in a parking lot I can kill the tricks I know but when I get out on the street I get stage fright. Just when I think I am getting good the street humbles me. Its all part of learning. This whole thing is so much of a mindfuck sometimes. Good news is it goes away.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
soon to be retired

Originally Posted by burnfreestyle
maybe practice with a couple people around to get used to someone watching you.....its good to have someone around anyways....i went down a while back when i was by myself and laid on the ground with a peg through my leg, then luckily someone showed up and took me to the hospital
Dang dude ...that's scary... you lucked out on that one ...

occasionally a friend comes out...but I keep my phone on me...(it's only a small precaution ...but better than nothin I guess )
Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 AM

burnfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

my phone was with me but it was in my truck so i couldn't get to it.....better safe than sorry....at least get your girl to come out there so someone is there
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 AM

EvanfromNW is a decent person

good im not the only one with street chokin capabilties.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 AM

xxMICKEYxx is just really nicexxMICKEYxx is just really nicexxMICKEYxx is just really nicexxMICKEYxx is just really nicexxMICKEYxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by 12urMOM
Yea I heard there was a Mexican there doin no hander highchairs!:YEAH
I have the same problem on new tricks when somebody comes up, i dont think to just calm down and focus on brake/balance. Once u get the trick down it wont be a problem. The next time u wanna bust out something in front of somebody just take ur time focus on body positioning and brake and u will nail it. I wanna come up but I have not got my truck fixed yet but u can come down anytime.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 AM

matt360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man I hear you it happens. You said you ride a lot by yourself. This does have something to do with it but for the most part it's just a mental block. By having someone around you, you might think more about what your doing instead of doing it like you do on your own. Put anyone in front of me and I suck. Try video tape to see where I am and take pics I fail. I'm not a pro but I'm like where you are right now again. But in time you just won't even think about what your doing. Just get anyone to come your old lady or someone just to have someone watching you and do your own thing don't think about what there thinking.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM

Ghini is a decent person

the same **** happens to me on my fiddy & 125, i always ride alone, it sucks. i got **** on lock on my own but when i go to show off infront of my friends or ride in the street, i can still do the **** it just seems half assed. its just stage fright, your mind becomes occupied with something else rather than what your doing and you rely on mostly your muscle memory to do ****. u just gotta relax and "get in the zone" its almost like stunt meditation. now i know i'm gonna get bashed cause i'm on a fiddy or a 125...but its the same general concept, i'm not trying to compare difficulty or skill or anything like that.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM

skinnyR! is a decent person

The streets are center stage. Everyones watchin.

I choke half the time too.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 AM

samurai87 is a decent person

i love the streets for that very reason but man oh man have they humbled me as well...you get something in the lot an go to rock it and you choke lol i hate that but i jus try and clear my mind and let the trick do itself...dont over think just flow wit it haha
Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

after a few shows in front of lots of ppl, you'll get used to it and won't think about it anymore...

and as everybody said, get someone with you just in case...
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

when there's new people around and ****, it's like i can hear some commentary in my head, like during golf tournaments, and it ***** with my head: (in very quiet, soft voice) "Trachito is pulling up. He taps the rear brake to slow down to a complete stop... everyone is watching... all eyes are on him. he pulls back on the throttle and clutches it up. Good clutch technique, the bike comes up smoothly... and ... OOOOHH, HE LOST IT. HE HAS LOST IT. TRACHITO LOOPS, TRACHITO LOOPS IT ONCE AGAIN. There's a lot of pressure on these riders out here today, Tom (the side commentary guy) especially with these hot girls that Trachito has never met."
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kelm
My first time out on the 600RR riding with the local stunters, like steet murderers.... I got waved in front and busted out toe hmost wobbily scary 2nd gear off the box wheelie.
"My first time out on the 600RR riding with the local stunters..."

sorry dude, but after that, i couldnt understand **** u were trying to say.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM

samurai87 is a decent person

dude everyone i ride with is 100000000000000000x's better then me im the only rookie, even the people they call rookie can bust SS combos and almost rock O's so i have gotten very used to it!!! i try and sneak out and do my own secret practice sessions so when i meet up with them again its like were the **** did that come from i love killin the streets even though for me its kinda like less killing and more bitch slapping haha whatever man **** people i ride for me! its fun i like it

Quick Reply: choked under pressure...sort of...