Steering staggered wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM

nyRocketkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering staggered wheelies?

I'm having trouble steering my staggered wheelies. I can do it on my dirt bike but I'm having trouble on my 2001 R1. I know to steer wheelies you have to be eather at or behind ballence point and shift your weight to the one side. My R1 always seemes to want to go to one side. When my bike drifts right I take all my weight off my right peg and put it all on my left but it doesn't make a difference.
I was wondering if anyone had some tips on body position for this. Or just some tips too try to help this?

I was running 20LBS in my rear and I thought mabey if I bump it up it will make it steer easier so I bumped my pilot powers rear to 27lbs and it makes it alittle easier but they always want to go to one side or the other.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve
Re: Steering staggered wheelies?

if you switch all your weight onto your left foot and the bike doesnt alter direction at all, youre not even close to the balance point
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Standupnfall is a decent person

get higher
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by aw0n0
if you switch all your weight onto your left foot and the bike doesnt alter direction at all, youre not even close to the balance point
I'm just a tad in front. I'm picking up alittle speed but hardley any. I'm getting smoother but I keep going from ballence point to just in front. I'm not chasing the wheelie I'm riding it out just picking up speed slowly.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Mabey I'm not quite as high as I should be. I'm really close but mabey not quite there. How hard should I have to push on my peg to steer?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

shifting your body weight should move you a lot if you are at or behind balance. i usually throttle my bike behind balance when i shift my weight to get it to move. moves pretty easy for me.

a bike will naturally drift right becuase of the road crown....but it shouldn't be too hard to get it to change lanes.

i lean back, put pressure on the peg in the direction i want to go and pull back on the clip-on of hte opposite side: want to go left, shift weight to left peg, pull back on right clipon (pull back, not turn bars...i pull the clipon as if i was going to pull it towards my chest...the bars do not turn left or right in this movement).
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by binder929rr
shifting your body weight should move you a lot if you are at or behind balance. i usually throttle my bike behind balance when i shift my weight to get it to move. moves pretty easy for me.

a bike will naturally drift right becuase of the road crown....but it shouldn't be too hard to get it to change lanes.

i lean back, put pressure on the peg in the direction i want to go and pull back on the clip-on of hte opposite side: want to go left, shift weight to left peg, pull back on right clipon (pull back, not turn bars...i pull the clipon as if i was going to pull it towards my chest...the bars do not turn left or right in this movement).
I'm gonna go practice this and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm gonna try to come up alittle higher and try the pulling on the clipon.

thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

yea, its going to be very difficult to steer if you arent at or behind the balance point.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by aw0n0
yea, its going to be very difficult to steer if you arent at or behind the balance point.
Ya I think that was my problem I'm not quite high enough. I keep trying to keep it at that point but I keep getting close and then coming back. I'm gonna keep trying to get it higher and keep it at that point. Everytime I get there I fall just a tad in front of it. I was alot smoother on my F2 then this. Even with -1 +8 on the F2 it wasn't half as twitchie as this. I was thinking I was close enough to steer but I guess I can't cause I can't keep it quite there. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 PM

NsOaklandR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steering is fun:YEAH except sharp lefts

Sorry this post didn't help not 1 bit.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 PM

bdc_Marky is a decent person

Originally Posted by binder929rr

some good advice right here
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

I don't have any place to practice really is my bigest problem. I gotta get a F4i. I'll have the F4i and practice in the lots and keep the R1 for when I'm riding street. I keep getting the ******* cops called on me. R1 is way too nice to get trashed in the lots. I need a nice stunter.
Wish I had a nice backroad with no cops.
I'll have this paid off in January. Then I'm picking up a F4i.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM

I have decided that I can't drive this ****** on 2 wheels and I got in trouble on it AGAIN today. I'm keeping this thing in my house until January when I pay it off. Then I'm gonna sell it and hook up a phat F4i. I need a lot bike. Too many ******* cops and *** hole people.
I'm bipolar so I'll probably change my mind in 3 munites but for now I positive it's not comming out of my living room.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM

^ Ya well that idea lasted about 2 days.
I found my problem with steering staggered wheelies. Even though I would put weight on my one peg I still subcounsiouly would have weight on the other peg making it harder to steer. When I got the bike I also lowered my rear tire pressure to 20lbs. Well I increased it to about 24 and that helped then 27 and that helped more. I put it at 30 tonight but havent tried it yet cause its gonna rain.
I'm not really having problems with wobble so i don't think that low of tire pressure was nessassary. Now that I'm taking all my weight off the oposite peg that helps along with the more pressure I'm adding. I'm also getting alot smoother on the throttle because I'm getting used to this bike. I'm getting alot better at steering them and I'm almost happy with my rear pressure. i'm gonna keep trying different pressures until I find the perfect setting.
thanks for the help guys
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Joker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nyRocketkid
^ Ya well that idea lasted about 2 days.
I found my problem with steering staggered wheelies. Even though I would put weight on my one peg I still subcounsiouly would have weight on the other peg making it harder to steer. When I got the bike I also lowered my rear tire pressure to 20lbs. Well I increased it to about 24 and that helped then 27 and that helped more. I put it at 30 tonight but havent tried it yet cause its gonna rain.
I'm not really having problems with wobble so i don't think that low of tire pressure was nessassary. Now that I'm taking all my weight off the oposite peg that helps along with the more pressure I'm adding. I'm also getting alot smoother on the throttle because I'm getting used to this bike. I'm getting alot better at steering them and I'm almost happy with my rear pressure. i'm gonna keep trying different pressures until I find the perfect setting.
thanks for the help guys

I'm not sure about everyone else but I don't lower my pressure for wobbles . I lower it so the bike doesn't steer too easy in a wheelie...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Joker
I'm not sure about everyone else but I don't lower my pressure for wobbles . I lower it so the bike doesn't steer too easy in a wheelie...
I was told one of the things that cause wobbles is to much rear tire pressure.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 AM

CarpeDiem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kelm
Wobbles are caused by either going way to fast for the gear that your in or by chopping the throttle.

Was that sarcastic? lolz. Cause I've never heard that before, and it sounds kinda retarded. Explain the physics behind this one please.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 AM

matt360 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ Coming from the guy who just lost a bitch off the back I wouldn't listen to a thing he says. Please explain how this works Kelm?

Quick Reply: Steering staggered wheelies?