gixxer frame cracked and broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 PM

shermsmoka is an unknown quantity at this point
gixxer frame cracked and broken

i have an 03 gsxr 600 thats been down a few times and my frame has some fine cracks in it. does anyone know if it will hold if welded? also i was still using the old free style cage and lost a twelvescrape at around 20mph and broke off a frame tab to the subframe, should i reweld the broken tab or fab up another one? any help would be lovely...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:02 PM

gixxer_guy is a decent person
Re: gixxer frame cracked and broken

if you have some who knows how to weld it properly you should not have a problem what so ever but make sure you have them weld it deep enough if it is for stunting only you may want to double up welds on your tabs or support them better than factory so good luck
Old 08-04-2007, 09:47 PM

ggsxx is a decent person

I cracked mine near the neck underneath check for cracks.I had to replace my frame cause it was to late to fix it.Lokk it up!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM

zride is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shermsmoka
i have an 03 gsxr 600 thats been down a few times and my frame has some fine cracks in it. does anyone know if it will hold if welded? also i was still using the old free style cage and lost a twelvescrape at around 20mph and broke off a frame tab to the subframe, should i reweld the broken tab or fab up another one? any help would be lovely...

Aw sounds too familar to me. Yeah the gixxer frames are weak in the neck area./ Just got done doing a frame swap on my 02. The frame had fab work done. The neck was crack and they tried to weld over it....but it did not hold. Be careful welding this frame. the sheet metal is extremely thin. You dont burn in enough and the weld will not hold....too much and you'll burn right throught making a weak point even weaker. As far as the tabs for the subframe just fab up something. The guy who did my old frame seemed to shave down where your tab broke evenly on both sides then welded a round spacer type things on each side evenly....seems to be secure cause they were holding great. anyway....look up craigslist to see if anyone around has a frame for that year.. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

get rid of it https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/74-...ml#post2232260
https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/281...me-diesel.html
Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 AM

Josh Faught is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get someone that can TIG aluminum good it will hold if you get someone who can TIG aluminum but doesnt know what there doing you **** will break
Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

find a good tig welder and have him go to town and gusit the **** out of it
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 AM

shermsmoka is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the help...my cracks arent nearly as bad as Dlishs' bike but it was growing lil' by lil'....i'm gonna try and save the bike one more time, if it gives out on me i guess i'll have to move on to another one...
Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
MISCHIEVOUS!

~Carms~ is a decent person

hey what happend to the good old fashoned "zip tie" answers??? :YEAH

"im joking for some of the idiots out there who are actually going to believe me.. Oh yes... there are some out there"
Old 08-05-2007, 01:31 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

the re-covered motor mount area here helped a lot, but once they start cracking they dont stop