HB Setup - This ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 AM

pixel 6 is an unknown quantity at this point
HB Setup - This ok?

Hi,

BIKE: 2001 CBR 929RR

So I'm brand-brand new to the handbrake setup idea. But after learning good brake control with my foot, decided it was time to add a HB.

I ordered a Nissin Half bore conv. master, steel brake line, and the fullthrottle threaded adapter for my stock reservoir.

I mounted it like this...

Bar end - grip - original highbeam/blinker assembly (after some modifications) - Nissin lever - MSR Pro raptor shorty clutch lever.

I Have my HB lever below my clutch lever.

So here we go... I like where the clutch lever is, because I grab it right on the end of the lever with my index finger. (cut off the ball on the end) But I'm not so sure about the brake lever... Because it's mounted on the left side of the clutch lever, it makes it so that I grab it with my middle finger, but I'm grabbing it on the valley of the lever, and not further out where I could get more leverage.

What I got out of tonights session, is that in order to not use the foot brake, I stand more on the ball of my foot, rather than the mid foot like I used to. This way I could focus on the HB only, and not be tempted to grab the foot brake and cancel out the brake all together.

I'm not sure how far out I want the HB lever yet, and have played with all the settings... Still not sure.

What I notice about my brake control now, lol, is that I brake waaaaay too hard with the HB. Seems really touchy compared to what I was used to with my foot. But probably better off with too much brake than too little.

How does everyone else set up theirs? Are my levers ***-backwards?

I'd like to keep the stock clip-on, and the stock instrument assembly. So this was the only way I could set it up that seemed to make that work.

The only thing I'm frusterated with, is that in order to fit everything in place, my clutch lever is sitting up a bit higher now (but as low as I can set it) and feels really wierd when I go to grab for it. Moved my front brake lever to the same height to see if that helps me get used to it.

So, anyone have advice to a person new to the HB setup?

Thanks

- Pixel -

Ooh, and how the F*** do I get rid of all the air bubbles? I can hear em in the reservoir when I pump the HB.

- Pixel -
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: HB Setup - This ok?

some adapters make that noise even when there is no air in the system ,if the lever is hard and doesn't need to be pumped up to get full pressure then there is no air ....

i like my brake closest to the fork tube so like you said i can get the most leverage and i moved my controls so i had more room on the clip on to put my levers where i wanted them and i also like evry thing as low as i can get it so my wrist isn't bent up while doing ss..
Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger
some adapters make that noise even when there is no air in the system ,if the lever is hard and doesn't need to be pumped up to get full pressure then there is no air ....

i like my brake closest to the fork tube so like you said i can get the most leverage and i moved my controls so i had more room on the clip on to put my levers where i wanted them and i also like evry thing as low as i can get it so my wrist isn't bent up while doing ss..
Didn't know that about the air bubbles. =)

From what I could gather from tonights short practice, is that if I use the foot brake before using the HB, I sometimes need to pump the HB maybe once and it's back to rock solid.

My clutch lever isn't too high I don't think... but higher than I normally have it. I was considering grinding a bit off the clip-on mount to give a bit more room to drop it, but reconsidered that breaking a clip on landing could probably ruin a perfectly good day. =P

I'll have to take another look at it tomorrow as I did this install at night with way too little light, but I'm not sure if I can flip-flop the levers with the stock clip-ons... If I do I'm pretty sure my levers will sit even higher. But won't hurt to double check.

- Pixel -
Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

you can grind the perches for the clutch and the hand brake but never grind the clipon...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Found a friend that has a brake pump so I can redo the lines tomorrow. I'm still not used to how high the clutch lever sits now... With time I imagine.

Probably won't put in a full session until Friday, but can't wait to get solid on the HB so I can move my *** to the tank.

:YEAH
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

You really dont need brake pump ....it is really easy job to do this if you are good at it. if not then wait for your friend.

if u want learn how to work on HB ...start with SS.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

i bleed handbrakes by myself in like 5 minutes....no pumps
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 AM

So wow.

I'm digging the handbrake!

Put in an hour session tonight at our local 1/3 mile strip. Figured natural progression was to move my right leg back, and stand on both rear pegs, forcing myself to focus on the HB. After 15 minutes in the small lot, moved it to the long street. After about 10 passes, I started getting the entire length consistently. After about 20 passes, I started being able to slow it down some. Decided to put one up on the long street coming back to my house, and got it up easy, a couple touches on the HB, and held it at about 20 mph for the entire strip.

SO EASY TO BALANCE NOW!!!

I've been working on breaking the habit of leaning the bike a bit to the side doing the normal staggered, but now that's completely gone with using the HB instead.

So, opinions...

What does everyone consider to be the next trick that I should work on now that I have a HB?

Seat Standers?

I never see anyone stand on both rear pegs, but I think that one is perfect for me to learn the HB with. Nice and balanced from side to side.

Your thoughts:

- Pixel -
Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 PM

So put in a bit of a session today. I felt that over the last few sessions that my control with the HB was getting better, so took off to B.F.E. and found a nice long road.

Standing on both rear pegs, clutched it from a slow start, and got my first official 1 mile wheelie! =)

I felt from my other practices that I was at the BP, but hadn't been on a road long enough to get the official mile.

So, first mile with only the HB.

Held it around 35-45 or so all in 1st gear. Only thing I noticed, and part of a habit I'm trying to break, is that my rear brake started getting squishy from dragging on it a bit too much trying to slow it down a few times. But I'm sure with a bit more practice I can be off the brake, more than on.

Well there ya go.

- Pixel -
Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 PM

burnfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

from the sound of it you're jus murdering your brake right now, but once you get used to BP you won't be on the brake near as much and be able to coast it and only use the HB as needed