Bike is running like shit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 PM

ezl_oo is an unknown quantity at this point
Bike is running like ****

Ok let me start off by saying that I'm not a noob and I know how to wheelie. I can do clutch sitdowns in first and second gear just fine, not balance point but pretty close. I have a 04 R1 that is geared -1 in front and +2 in the rear. About a month ago my bike ran just fine and it would pop up in a wheelie like nothing in first and in second. About 3 weeks ago I tried a clutch 1st gear wheelie and the bike would not come up, then I would give it a huge amount of gas while clutching it in first gear, that if my bike was running normal I would easily loop it. But it won't come up for nothing in 1st gear or 2nd gear it just accelerates but it won't wheelie. I just had the throttle sensor recall done, but it was acting like this way before that. I took it to the dealer to see if my clutch was shot and the mechanic told me it was fine. So I don't know why if I grab a hand full of throttle and pop the clutch like I used to do all the time, it doesn't come up in a wheelie anymore. Has this happened to anyone before?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 PM

-matt g- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bike is running like ****

sounds like a clutch.. how did the mechanic look at it? did he take all the clutch plates out and examine them?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM

JoeR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did the mechanic check your clutch, did he pop off the clutch cover and look at the plates? I'd get a second opinion because it sounds like you probably toasted your clutch
Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 PM

JoeR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VTR-1000
sounds like a clutch.. how did the mechanic look at it? did he take all the clutch plates out and examine them?
I didn't type fast enough:YEAH
Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 PM

Undead stunts is an unknown quantity at this point

yea sounds like ur clutch is slipping cuz you fried it..
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 PM

onewheelneil is an unknown quantity at this point

ur clutch is gone dude
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 PM

f4idad is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree it is the clutch

but why the hell are you clutching first gear wheelies on a r1 that is geared and you cant even hit balance point yet
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

try changing your oil and riding the bike around a little..

when I was first learning to roll burnouts, i'd slip the clutch at really high rpm's for a long time... ONe time I did a shitty burnout, then tried to clutch it up and I could NOt wheelie it..

I got in 6th gear on the higway at 55, and hit the gas and it just went to redline...

I kept riding it and a few days later it started hooking up again, now its just fine and has been since it happened 10k miles ago :YEAH
Old 07-22-2007, 10:32 PM

Yea the mechanic didn't take the clutch apart and examine it. He just rode my bike when he changed the throttle sensor and told me that my clutch is not slipping and that it's fine. It's a Yamaha dealer mechanic too!!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Undead stunts is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe its not slipping but it could still be worn out just not real bad
Old 07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by f4idad
i agree it is the clutch

but why the hell are you clutching first gear wheelies on a r1 that is geared and you cant even hit balance point yet
because if he didnt clutch it up he would be a super powa whoolie squid like you. IF YOU ARE A SQUID DO NOT GIVE ADVICE TO OTHERS SQUIDS BECAUSE THEY WILL GET SERIOUSLY HURT OR DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!!!

-MEXICAN MAYHEM
Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

try changing your oil and dont start out saying i can wheelie because the power whoolies you are making make you a squid and then that makes me have to talk **** to you.

-mexican mayhem
Old 07-23-2007, 01:50 AM

Juar3z is a decent person

hows ur idle.... my biek was running like **** and i found out i was running on 3 cylinders i had oil in the 4th
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM
www.Xtreme-Stunts.com

Xtreme-Stunts is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also try to check the spark plugs and maybe use some injector or carburetor cleaner in the gas. If your clutch would be gone, I would say that it would slip whenever you accelerate full-throttle.

I could be wrong though as it never happened to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by stock05
try changing your oil and dont start out saying i can wheelie because the power whoolies you are making make you a squid and then that makes me have to talk **** to you.

-mexican mayhem

First of all I don't do power wheelies, and yes I could wheelie just don't hold them for many many miles like I would like too. My question wasn't "How to bring the bike up?" that is why I stated that in my first sentence that I know how to raise the front wheel in the first three gears, because I didn't want to get any responses on me not knowing how to bring the bike up!!!!

My bike used to have serious power, I used to twist the throttle a little in first and it wanted to loop...now I yank the throttle and even pull on the handle bars in 1st and it still doesn't come up.

Thanks for all the positive advice.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Wowtah is a decent person

not sure if an r1 has tha same adjustment but all my bikes have had an adjustment on the opposite side of tha motor from tha clutch. you can pop off a cover and tighten up ur clutch basket. hold in the clutch with the bike in gear and running and start to tighten the adjuster. when the bike wants to move forward even with the clutch pulled in just back off the adjustmen a tad. Then go out in tha street and rip one up and c wat happens. If it works good again then u need a new clutch but that will get some more life outta it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM

Wowtah is a decent person

Originally Posted by Xtreme-Stunts
I would also try to check the spark plugs and maybe use some injector or carburetor cleaner in the gas. If your clutch would be gone, I would say that it would slip whenever you accelerate full-throttle.

I could be wrong though as it never happened to me.

naw man ,,,, unless the clutch is totally toasted you can still get on tha throttle hard w no probs.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Even when I get on the throttle hard it just lunges foward...usually it would want to do a backflip.

Thanks Wowtah I'm going to try that.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

happened to me a long time ago. clutch was worn out. the bike would ride fine and the plates looked perfect but they were worn down just enough to affect wheelies. changed the plates and it worked fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 PM

Trentl40 is a decent person

Originally Posted by ezl_oo
First of all I don't do power wheelies, and yes I could wheelie just don't hold them for many many miles like I would like too. My question wasn't "How to bring the bike up?" that is why I stated that in my first sentence that I know how to raise the front wheel in the first three gears, because I didn't want to get any responses on me not knowing how to bring the bike up!!!!

My bike used to have serious power, I used to twist the throttle a little in first and it wanted to loop...now I yank the throttle and even pull on the handle bars in 1st and it still doesn't come up.

Thanks for all the positive advice.
If your not even at balance point i would have to say you are a squid.

Quick Reply: Bike is running like shit