Gear shifting Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 AM

zride is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear shifting Backwards

I have no Idea why the gear shifting on my bike is backwards. Any Ideas. The linkage must be put together backwards in order to get down to be first and up for up shifting. I have played with it, messed around, flip it (thats when I realized it was reversed after I put it together the correct way)....I have no idea.

could the gear shift cam be installed backwards.....just a quess
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Gear shifting Backwards

im not sure what you are saying.....

was it reversed and then you fixed it or are you asking how to fix it?

most bikes with reversed shift just have the part of the shifting linkage that bolts to the motor turned 180 degrees[flipped over]
Old 07-03-2007, 03:50 AM

Thats what I am coming to understand.. I am not sure.. It started because my gear shift klever was rubbing on the linkage that runs to the shifter. But after looking at the part finder thing I noticed that they want the linkage tab face down...I try this and the gearing is reversed. I am probably just reading into it too much. Maybe the stupid parts finmder is showing it installed backwards...who knows
Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 AM

DBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to all

ok you go up 6 times your in first gear right
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by zride
Thats what I am coming to understand.. I am not sure.. It started because my gear shift klever was rubbing on the linkage that runs to the shifter. But after looking at the part finder thing I noticed that they want the linkage tab face down...I try this and the gearing is reversed. I am probably just reading into it too much. Maybe the stupid parts finmder is showing it installed backwards...who knows
or maybe some one switched sift levers ........
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 AM

PLAYA-P will become famous soon enoughPLAYA-P will become famous soon enough

Ur linkage is flipped...very common for knee draggers at the track
Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Professional Work Avoider

GSXR Carlos will become famous soon enoughGSXR Carlos will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that's a race set up so you don't lose a toe when you're changing up in a left hand corner

didn't know it was as easy as flipping something over????
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Your bike was running what is called a GP shift pattern. This is very normal in the race world and is nothing to worry about. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your bike. The normal position of the front arm is in the down position. Just flip it so it is down and dont worry about it.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
also known as OMR

as i read it he did that and it was reversed....

as if maybe his shifter has the linkage hooked at the top rather then the bottom or visa versa ,like maybe some one broke the stock lever and replaced it with some thing else
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 AM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

^ Like everyone else is saying ...

Some are up, some are down. If it's shifting GP style (1 up, 5 down), then just flip the linkage the other way and it'll be back to standard (1 down, 5 up).
Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
also known as OMR

as i said before he flipped it to the down position and it was reversed and if what kerns and z ride says is true the down position is the normal position but with it in the down position it is reversed so i think some one changed his shifter because in the up position the linkage rubs on his shifter....

if the oem shifter has the linkage connected to the bottom of the shifter and the one he has on the bike now has it connected to the top then with the peice connected to the motor in the stock position he will be reversed and when he flips it it rubs so he may need a new oem shifter
Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 AM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man roger
as i said before he flipped it to the down position and it was reversed and if what kerns and z ride says is true the down position is the normal position but with it in the down position it is reversed so i think some one changed his shifter because in the up position the linkage rubs on his shifter....

if the oem shifter has the linkage connected to the bottom of the shifter and the one he has on the bike now has it connected to the top then with the peice connected to the motor in the stock position he will be reversed and when he flips it it rubs so he may need a new oem shifter
Gotcha -- you're right, OEM shifter should solve it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 AM
YUT UGH

Re-Micks is a decent person

is this on ur gixxer im guessing... ill look at my buddys today and let you know if its on top or bottom... if that will help, if its not the point omr made...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Professional Work Avoider

GSXR Carlos will become famous soon enoughGSXR Carlos will become famous soon enough

Can someone show me a pic of what we're talking about
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_03...70&parent=5450
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
also known as OMR

i was just talking about the part of the linkage that bolts to the motor
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
YUT UGH

Re-Micks is a decent person

there you go... line it up just like that should work you might have been fliping it only 90 degrees back and forth which i think would still keep it on rev. shifting
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

dizzie56 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it even an oem shifter? i put on vortex rearsets and they came wit two different rods, one was shorter for normal shifting, the other a lil longer for race shifting. if u have somethin like that then just flippin it aint gonna work.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person

Like said above you may want to see if the pieces on your bike are actually from another bike or an aftermarket. I make a GP shift arm for vortex rearsets, it removes a rod and the second rotating assembly but turns it into GP shifting, I make this for some roadracers I sponser. I would get another bike and look at them togeather or just put a jockey shift on it. haha

Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM

I am not sure what going on. The part of the linkage that connects to the motor. In the parts finder like the guy who posted earlier you can see that the linkage should be ion the down position. Whenb I flip it down my shifting is reversed. I just bought a brand new OEM gear shift lever sO dont know why it is doing this. The rod itself amlosty seems backwars. Twisting upward shifts down and twisting downward shifts up... Not sure

Quick Reply: Gear shifting Backwards